Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
tortoise said:
Since my backpacking trip was postponed due to inclement weather, I am going to embrace that inclemency and create one of my favorite dishes for a cool, rainy day: shrimp gumbo. Gumbo is a definite labor of love for me, and I completely immerse myself in the entire process, focusing on it with all of my senses.

Prepping the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper, chopped into hearty rustic chunks) is the first step. Next, prepping the tomatoes: always whole, canned, excellent quality San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by my impeccably clean (when I'm cooking, anyway) hands. In no other recipe is the mise en place so completely essential as it is in a gumbo, at least the way I prepare it, but more about that later.

Next comes the roux, and I never take any shortcuts with a roux. Doing so would sully the entire experience for me; it would be like "wham bam thank you ma'am" sex. Equal parts (by volume) flour and oil, slowly cooked to a dark mocha brown, stirring all the while. As it progresses through the various stages of its ontogeny (from almost white through pale blond through dulce de leche through peanut butter through cafe au lait to mocha), it gives off a bewildering array of aromas, redolent of every roasted thing under the sun: almonds, peanuts, marshmallows, coffee, chocolate, peppers; you name it, it's in there. All from two of the most humble, simple, basic ingredients on the planet.

Once the roux has reached its culmination, then comes the most transcendental moment of the entire process for me, probably my favorite moment in all of cooking. The roux is searingly, infernally hot by this point, radiating so much heat that it's almost uncomfortable to keep my hand in close enough proximity to stir. Into this vat of fragrant mocha lava, I toss the entire trinity at once, whereupon I experience my ultimate foodgasm. Heart pounding, I savor the sound of the trinity/roux union first, a sizzle so loud and intense that it's almost an electric roar, a swirling maelstrom of sublime white noise. Then. Oh, oh fuck yes, then. The smell hits me. Hard. Like a crashing, thunderous, aromatic wave. The scent of the naked roux was unbelievably complex, but the orgasmic melding of roux and trinity yields a sensory cloud far too sublime and intoxicating for my powers of description to even begin to capture, so I won't even try. Come to my kitchen sometime and experience it yourself. As I stir and probe with my spatula until the trinity reaches its apotheosis, the aromatic explosion deepens and intensifies.

I will continue this, but I... I think I need a moment alone with my thoughts now.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to share your own foodgasms, whether they are achieved by cooking or consuming. Don't be shy, now. You know you wanna.
I make a mean vegetable gumbo... Its like an orgasm in my mouth... Not even kidding. So good.

The other food thats like that for me is chocolate. OMG, I love chocolate, if you ever want to flatter me, get me chocolate, because I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic :cathappy:
 
DirtyHippie said:
I make a mean vegetable gumbo... Its like an orgasm in my mouth... Not even kidding. So good.

The other food thats like that for me is chocolate. OMG, I love chocolate, if you ever want to flatter me, get me chocolate, because I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic :cathappy:
love your name
 
impetuous said:
Ohhh.....that sounds so good!!! I have to try that, like TONIGHT. I love all varieties of squash. Green chiles? My favorite! Thanks so much for this one.

I'm a newbie and I've been lurking in this thread for the last few days.....finally decided I had to post. Great idea for a thread, Tortoise.

I love to cook and I'll be sharing some of my own recipes, too.

Excellent! Welcome to the thread, and to lit. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the soup, and I am eager to see your recipes as well.

Tinkersquash said:
I did too, but that's because of a Bugs Bunny cartoon I watched when younger :eek: On a side note, there is a dish here in Denmark called "Forlorn Hare" which I am not brave enough to try yet, because it just sounds so terribly sad.

Heh. It does sound so very melancholy. Also, you are adorable. SLUT SPURT!

Olivianna said:
does it really mean what we think it means, or does 'forlorn' in danish actually mean 'grilled'-- and 'hare', 'tofu'?

Hah!

Tinkersquash said:
[...]After he became a Bishop, one of his first "moves" was to "punish" geese by having them for dinner once a year, on the date that he was captured. In my opinion, this sort of revenge tastes best with baked apples and prunes. ;)

I like breast of revenge, served medium rare, with the skin scored so it gets extra crispy. Revenge confit is one of my all-time favorites, too. A friend of mine makes revenge confit raviolis that are out of this world. The secret is duck... er... revenge eggs in the ravioli dough.

Hester said:
it's a simple one from my childhood. boneless sardines on pumpernickel bread with ample cream cheese and sliced yellow onions.

Yum!

Rambling Rose said:
I am hearing a lot of cream cheese talk in regards to sardines. I can feel my mind opening.

It does sound good, doesn't it?

Recidiva said:
Oooh.

Cream cheese.

Foodgasm Tourettes:

I FUCKING LOVE CRAB RANGOON!

Okay.

Heh. Was it good for you? I love crab rangoon, too, but it is one of my grandmother's favorite things in the world, so I usually let her horde them all. She deserves it.

Rambling Rose said:
Here, baby. Mama loves you.

king_oscar_redcan.jpg

Those are indeed the best canned ones.

DirtyHippie said:
I make a mean vegetable gumbo... Its like an orgasm in my mouth... Not even kidding. So good.

The other food thats like that for me is chocolate. OMG, I love chocolate, if you ever want to flatter me, get me chocolate, because I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic :cathappy:

If you are willing to share your gumbo recipe, I would love to hear it. I love making vegetarian dishes, especially soups.

(oh, and Hester is VERY female, by the way)
 
Another of my great joys is cooking for the large holiday family gatherings. Turkey for Thanksgiving (I finally went the deep-fried route last year, and was blown away), usually some sort of beef rib roast for Christmas, and ALWAYS my grilled butterflied leg of lamb for Easter. We average about 25 people, and I love everything about the feast. Planning for weeks, cooking for days (I usually have almost all of the sides cooked before the day of the event), and watching everyone eat and enjoy themselves for hours. On a couple of occasions, I have let others cook a holiday meal, but it is always with great reluctance.

Anyone else love to do the big holiday dinner thing?
 
tortoise said:
Anyone else love to do the big holiday dinner thing?

I was thinking about the holidays, too. I especially love to cook on Thanksgiving.

I can't have Thanksgiving dinner without sweet potatoes, but I don't like them candied and I got tired of just topping them with marshmallows. A few years ago I found this recipe....I made a few changes, just based on my own taste. (I can't resist making a recipe "my own".)

Mix about three cups of cooked mashed sweet potatoes with a cup of sugar, two lightly beaten eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla and pour it all into a greased casserole. Then combine a cup of brown sugar, a cup of chopped pecans, 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

It's definitely not low in fat or calories, but hey, it's the holidays, right? ;)
 
impetuous said:
I was thinking about the holidays, too. I especially love to cook on Thanksgiving.

I can't have Thanksgiving dinner without sweet potatoes, but I don't like them candied and I got tired of just topping them with marshmallows. A few years ago I found this recipe....I made a few changes, just based on my own taste. (I can't resist making a recipe "my own".)

Mix about three cups of cooked mashed sweet potatoes with a cup of sugar, two lightly beaten eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla and pour it all into a greased casserole. Then combine a cup of brown sugar, a cup of chopped pecans, 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

It's definitely not low in fat or calories, but hey, it's the holidays, right? ;)

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite as well, although I really do love doing my lamb for Easter.

You are absolutely right about the fat and calories. The holiday feasts are a time to splurge. Thanks for the recipe! I bet it's a huge hit.

I have something of an aversion to sweets (I'm weird, I know), so often I just roast the sweet potatoes whole, then peel (they just fall off after roasting) and slice them into a large shallow pyrex dish. Dot with butter, sprinkle with koser salt and fresh black pepper to taste.

I used to do my own variation of the Good Eats brined roast turkey every Thanksgiving, and it is definitely the best roast turkey I've had. I would make my own vegetable stock the weekend before for the brine (celery root, celery, carrots, onions, parsley, whole allspice, whole peppercorns). It gave an excellent flavor to the bird, and I'll probably still do it from time to time. As I said, though, last year I bought a turkey fryer, and the results were nothing short of amazing. SO tender and juicy, and you can do a whole bird in 45 minutes. I made my own spicy citrus based injection, too.
 
Rambling Rose said:
I am all about the simple, barely adorned sweet potato. I'll have what he's having!

I have always wanted to try sweet potato french fries some Thanksgiving. Now that I have an abundance of peanut oil on hand to fry the turkey, and a handy dandy mandolin, it should be a snap. I think it would be a lot of fun.
 
impetuous said:
Ohhh.....that sounds so good!!! I have to try that, like TONIGHT. I love all varieties of squash. Green chiles? My favorite! Thanks so much for this one.

I'm a newbie and I've been lurking in this thread for the last few days.....finally decided I had to post. Great idea for a thread, Tortoise.

I love to cook and I'll be sharing some of my own recipes, too.

Let me know if you do try the soup. I'm going to make it this weekend, if (as looks likely) our backpacking trip is postponed yet again. Cooking is an excellent consolation prize if I don't get to backpack.
 
Rambling Rose said:
Here, baby. Mama loves you.

king_oscar_redcan.jpg

That's the exact ones I like. In olive oyl.

I used to eat the ones with the lighthouse on the cover. Then the ex and I watched a documentary about a cannery. All the workers were uni-toothed inbreds and halfwits and had hands covered with dirty bandages from injuries recieved gutting fish...leaking pus into the works. It was foul. Then they showed the finishes product zooming down a conveyor line and the ex says Oh my god! It's the ones you always eat!.
 
rosco rathbone said:
That's the exact ones I like. In olive oyl.

I used to eat the ones with the lighthouse on the cover. Then the ex and I watched a documentary about a cannery. All the workers were uni-toothed inbreds and halfwits and had hands covered with dirty bandages from injuries recieved gutting fish...leaking pus into the works. It was foul. Then they showed the finishes product zooming down a conveyor line and the ex says Oh my god! It's the ones you always eat!.

Note to self: avoid all cannery documentaries, for fear of being put off my food.
 
stonewall_jam.jpg


I'm a condiment whore. You wanna suck my finger?

Flavor of the Day: Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam
(I like this on toast rounds with Andre Triple Cream or maybe some liverwurst)
 
Tinkersquash said:
Forlorn means "artificial" and hare, the same in English. It looks a lot like meatloaf. I'll have to try and find out if it was originally made with minced hare.

On a side note, stores are already beginning to stock up on duck and duck breasts in preparation for Morten's Aften (Morten's Night) which falls on November 11th every year. I love duck, so it was a few years before I wondered why it was that Danes eat duck on that date. The short story is that a priest by the name of Morten was fleeing the church before he was forcibly put in the position of being a Bishop. He hid amongst a flock of geese and when the baddies showed up looking for him, the geese honked like crazy and gave him away. After he became a Bishop, one of his first "moves" was to "punish" geese by having them for dinner once a year, on the date that he was captured. In my opinion, this sort of revenge tastes best with baked apples and prunes. ;)

wow. really interesting..esp. re 'forlorn'.
 
mmmmm, this will warm you up on a cold night

Spicy Lamb Stew with Butternut Squash

spicylambsquashstewbc0.jpg

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound lean lamb shoulder, on the bone, trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp Sweet Hungarian paprika
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 pounds of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 14-oz can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
Salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons Sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried mint

1 Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper on the meat. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil. Add the meat and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until all the juices evaporate, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and cook stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

2 Add the tomato paste, 1 Tbsp of paprika and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring until the mixture begins to carmelize. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and simmer until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes.

3 Add the squash, garbanzo beans, tomato, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and enough water to just cover the ingredients. Cover and cook until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.

4 Stir in the lemon juice and remove from the heat. Season with salt. Transfer the stew to a shallow serving dish.

5 Rub the 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and dried mint through a fine sieve. In a small saucepan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat, until a speck of spice dropped into the oil sizzles. Add the sieved spices and stir for just an instant. Swirl the seasoned oil into the stew, stir once and serve hot.

Serves 6.
 
Rambling Rose said:
stonewall_jam.jpg


I'm a condiment whore. You wanna suck my finger?

Flavor of the Day: Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam
(I like this on toast rounds with Andre Triple Cream or maybe some liverwurst)

Yum!

Tatiana0706 said:
Spicy Lamb Stew with Butternut Squash

spicylambsquashstewbc0.jpg

That sounds absolutely delicious, Tati! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I've never had lamb and butternut squash together, but I can taste the combination in my head, and I can tell it's amazing. I love garbanzo beans, too.

I'm going to make that this weekend instead of my butternut squash soup. Thank you!

:kiss:
 
mouthgasm

my mouth is wet and watering....my heart just started to race a bit.....december can't get here soon enough!



you loved those ingenious trays didn't you?.....makes things so easy when furiously peeling.....mmmmmmm Richard's and our trip out there.....i can still see you working away on your dip.....the dip is paramount, of course!.....there is nothing like the ritual of eating boiled crawfish....;):kiss:
 
Tatiana0706 said:
Spicy Lamb Stew with Butternut Squash

i bet you got his dimples going with this one, Taterina......"torty had a lil lamb, lil lamb...." ;)
 
REMOULADE SAUCE

3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons drained tiny capers, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 scallion (3 inches of green left on), very thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Set aside, covered, in the refrigerator.
Makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons).
 
As the weather gets colder.....

LAMB TAGINE WITH PRUNES, APRICOTS, AND VEGETABLES

2 lb (1-inch-thick) lamb shoulder chops
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
1 pinch saffron threads, crumbled
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup dried apricots (preferably Turkish)
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 teaspoons honey (optional)
Freshly grated nutmeg

Cut lamb from bones, reserving bones, then cut meat into 1-inch pieces.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a flameproof wide shallow casserole with a tight-fitting lid over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown meat on all sides in 2 batches, transferring to a plate as browned. Brown bones and transfer to plate.

Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to tagine and cook onion, stirring, until softened. Return meat and bones to pot.

Stir in water, saffron, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 1/4 hours.

Transfer lamb to a clean plate and add any meat from lamb bones, discarding bones.

Add carrots and sweet potato to pot, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes.

Add ginger, cinnamon, prunes, apricots, and squash, then simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and fruits are tender, about 5 minutes.

Return lamb to stew and add honey. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.
 
it is stone crab season here... it began October 15 and ends May 15
this is what I had on Sunday night:
3 jumbo stone crab claws- cold
joes_003.jpg


served with drawn butter and stone ground mustard- the mustard is very important:
1 tablespoon Colman's dry mustard, or to taste
1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon A-1 Sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
Salt to taste

soooo yummy.
they are pricey but I think worth it.
 
KravMaga said:
REMOULADE SAUCE

3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
1 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons drained tiny capers, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 scallion (3 inches of green left on), very thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl. Set aside, covered, in the refrigerator.
Makes 1 cup (16 tablespoons).
Remoulade is a staple condiment in Denmark. When at any hotdog stand/burger joint, the bottle of remoulade it out there with the ketchup and mustard. I love the stuff and will eat it on just about anything ;) I've never tried making my own but my give this recipe a shot as it seems so simple. The Danish stuff has finely minced cabbage in it which gives the whole thing a creamy pickle relish-type consistency.
 
Ginny said:
my mouth is wet and watering....my heart just started to race a bit.....december can't get here soon enough!



you loved those ingenious trays didn't you?.....makes things so easy when furiously peeling.....mmmmmmm Richard's and our trip out there.....i can still see you working away on your dip.....the dip is paramount, of course!.....there is nothing like the ritual of eating boiled crawfish....;):kiss:

I loved everything about the experience. I love that you can go to the fanciest-schmanciest restaurant in New Orleans and get crawfish that are just so-so (not bad, but not FOODGASM good), but if you go to an out of the way shack in the middle of rural Acadiana, a place that NOBODY could find without a lovely local to guide you... you are served the biggest, most succulent, sweetest, most erotically delicious seafood on the planet, in HUGE steaming portions. Simple, no frills, no nonsense, just pure crawfish bliss. Those trays are absolutely ingenious, and I loved concocting the dip (with a bit of horseradish, just like PJF :heart: ), and getting the knack of peeling them (nowhere near as fast or as nimbly as you or the lil miracle, though). When December does come around, you're going to have to come back here and describe your first crawfish feast of the season in intimate detail.

:kiss:
 
Tinkersquash said:
Remoulade is a staple condiment in Denmark. When at any hotdog stand/burger joint, the bottle of remoulade it out there with the ketchup and mustard. I love the stuff and will eat it on just about anything ;) I've never tried making my own but my give this recipe a shot as it seems so simple. The Danish stuff has finely minced cabbage in it which gives the whole thing a creamy pickle relish-type consistency.
sounds yummmm!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top