Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
RATATOUILLE AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PESTO VINAIGRETTE

For pesto vinaigrette
3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted golden
1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
For ratatouille
1 long narrow Japanese eggplant
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 small red bell pepper
1 small green bell pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped fine
1 medium vine-ripened tomato, seeded and puréed (about 1/2 cup)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves

12 ounces soft mild goat cheese at room temperature
8 ounces mesclun (mixed baby greens)

Garnish: red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved

Make vinaigrette:
In a blender or small food processor blend all vinaigrette ingredients with salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Vinaigrette may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring vinaigrette to room temperature before using on salads.

Make ratatouille:
Cut eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and bell peppers into 1/4-inch dice. In a large heavy skillet cook eggplant in 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat, stirring, until tender and transfer to a bowl. In skillet cook zucchini, yellow squash, and onion with salt and pepper to taste in 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes, and transfer to bowl. Cook bell peppers in remaining teaspoon oil in same manner and transfer to bowl. Stir in tomato purée, garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste and cool ratatouille completely.

Preheat oven to 375°F. and cut a large sheet of parchment paper into eight 5- to 6- inch squares.

On a work surface put a 3-inch metal pastry ring (at least 1 1/2 high) in middle of 1 parchment square and fill it with 1/3 cup ratatouille, pressing evenly and tightly into bottom. Cut goat cheese into 8 equal pieces and flatten each piece to form a 3-inch disk. Top ratatouille in ring with goat cheese disk, pressing lightly at edges to cover ratatouille completely. Transfer round on parchment square to a large baking sheet and remove ring. Make 7 more rounds in same manner with remaining parchment squares, ratatouille, and goat cheese. Bake rounds in middle of oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through.

While rounds are baking, in a large bowl toss mesclun with 1/4 cup vinaigrette and divide among 8 plates.

With a spatula transfer a round to center of each salad. Drizzle each salad with about 1 teaspoon vinaigrette and garnish with tomatoes.

Makes 8 Servings.


Yummm
 
Okay y'all, here's something for the olive oiliest people in the house:

Greek Beans:

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed
2 boxes frozen flat Italian green beans
1/4-1/2 C olive oil
1/2 tsp Greek oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Cook onions in olive until slightly tender but not translucent. Defrost beans and add them along remaining ingredients and cook. Cook some more. A little longer. Just a little longer. Is it kinda stew-y? Soft and sludgy? Is the oilslick orange? It's done.

Eat up.
 
Rambling Rose said:
Okay y'all, here's something for the olive oiliest people in the house:

Greek Beans:

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed
2 boxes frozen flat Italian green beans
1/4-1/2 C olive oil
1/2 tsp Greek oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Cook onions in olive until slightly tender but not translucent. Defrost beans and add them along remaining ingredients and cook. Cook some more. A little longer. Just a little longer. Is it kinda stew-y? Soft and sludgy? Is the oilslick orange? It's done.

Eat up.

Are you Rosco's Mother?
 
Good stuff, Krav and Rosita.

Okay, since we're onto stewy veggies, I offer my long cooked broccoli and scrambled egg open faced sangwich. I believe the inspiration came from this book:

0375711147.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg


Now, we all of us hate OVERcooked broccoli. I get that. I hate it too. But this is not OVERcooked, it's LONG cooked, and it's friggin' delicious.

Take a buttload of broccoli florets (I usually use those big bags that you can find Costco and their ilk), steam for 10 minutes or blanch in boiling water for 5. Refresh with cold water until cool (sort of a stupid step, because the long cooking saps them of that vivid green color anyway, but what the hell, it's tradition), then cut into 1/8" slices. Dice 1 medium onion (or, better, the equivalent in shallots), peel 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, then toss the whole shebang into a capacious pot. Liberally douse with evoo (not to cover, exactly, but enough to liberally coat), few pinches of salt, a few grinds of pepper. I sometimes use red pepper flakes, but those are optional. Cook on the stove over the lowest possible heat for a LONG ASS TIME. You are essentially slow poaching the broccoli in olive oil, until it becomes caramelized, soft almost to the point of spreadable, and so incredibly rich in flavor. Spread onto your favorite hearty toasted bread, and spoon on a bit of scrambled egg.

It's roughtly eleventy billion times better than it sounds. Try it and become a believer. You'll thank me later.
 
god help me--i'm imbibing a belvedere vodka martini spiked with olive juice and olives filled with jalapenos whilst munching on goat gouda...
 
Rambling Rose said:
Okay y'all, here's something for the olive oiliest people in the house:

Greek Beans:

1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed
2 boxes frozen flat Italian green beans
1/4-1/2 C olive oil
1/2 tsp Greek oregano
1/2 tsp salt

Cook onions in olive until slightly tender but not translucent. Defrost beans and add them along remaining ingredients and cook. Cook some more. A little longer. Just a little longer. Is it kinda stew-y? Soft and sludgy? Is the oilslick orange? It's done.

Eat up.

Green beans are one of my staple snacks. Simple steamed haricots-verts. I ALWAYS have a bag of them in the fridge, pre-steamed and ready to munch. Never get tired of them, ever. Sometimes I'll dip them in a bit of dijon.
 
rosco rathbone said:
I don't care if I never see another salmon. Sardines I love so much that I once tried to live on them because I'd heard that my hero, Kierkegaard, had. Ok, I made that up. But I did live on them with crackers for a while. Bitter greens I love too. Dung cheese sounds gnarly.

I don't like caluiflower, eggplant, any squash, or brussels sprouts. My mother grew all of them in her huge garden and was into canning them and making slimey, peppery, tasteless, vaguely moussakka/ratatoiulle-like vegetation stews that wouild gag a goat. She also had a knack for sort of boilling chicken in the oven in a mish mash of tomatoes and other things until it was soggy, slimey and totally fucking disgusting. Many years later I realise that she was reacting in her way to my father's attitude towards food and cooking: 1. "It's women's work" and, unfortunately, 2: "I don't care what you set before me as long as there's plenty of it". This was a fatal combination of sexism and lack of appreciation--either one could have worked OK without the other. Her second husband is a gourmand and she regularly stuns me with her acquired skills. Why couldn't she cook like that when I was a kid?? My father lives on oatmeal, Gorp, dried apricots, and shit like that and seems perfectly happy.
rosco, ever haver sardine sandwiches? i used to love those.
 
tortoise said:
Green beans are one of my staple snacks. Simple steamed haricots-verts...

I love these cold dipped in roquefort dressing, too. Now let's talk about squash. I'm craving some roasted Delicata with butter, salt and pepper.


I'm hungry!
 
tortoise said:
Yum. Describe your ideal sardine sandwich, please.
You have to read Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sins series. His protaganist,
Delaney, is obsessed with the perfect sandwich and the books contain some of the most delicious ones, including sardines..
 
Sweet and Sour Sardines: Sarde in Agrodolce


1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups peeled ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
1/4 cup pine nuts
6 sardines, gutted and cleaned but heads left on
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

Place the oil in a large skillet and heat over high heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt and chile flakes and cook over medium-high heat, uncovered, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar, sugar, raisins and pine nuts and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the fish in a single layer, if possible. Baste with the sauce and cook, covered, for 7 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the liquid is greatly reduced and the fish is in a thick, flavorful sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.
 
Rambling Rose said:
I love these cold dipped in roquefort dressing, too. Now let's talk about squash. I'm craving some roasted Delicata with butter, salt and pepper.


I'm hungry!

Oh, I loves me some squash. Summer and zucchini for grilling, every winter squash under the sun for roasting. I make a delicious roast butternut squash soup with roasted green chiles. So very simple, and a perfect cold weather soup. Just cut the squash in half, seed them, coat cut side with evoo, salt, aground cumin. Lay them face down in a large shallow baking dish (these days, I line them with that nonstick aluminum foil, for easier cleanup) and pop into a 400 degree oven. Roast until soft, remove and let cool enough to work with. The cut sides get all caramelized and yummy, and the smell is amazing. Scoop out the flesh with a large spoon, transfer to a large stockpot, along with fire roasted green chiles to taste, more salt and cumin. Add your favorite stock and puree until smooth with a hand blender. Go with just enough stock to facilitate pureeing at first, then thin to desired consistency. Adjust seasoning, adding a few dashes of hot sauce to taste. Serve piping hot with the following array of optional garnishes: sour cream, slices of avocado, cilantro, and tortilla chips (I like to use those blue corn ones for this recipe, as it provides a beautiful color contrast).
 
tortoise said:
Yum. Describe your ideal sardine sandwich, please.

Favorite Sardine Sandwich

The rye/pumpernickle bread toasted
Sardines in mustard sauce
Add more mustard to your taste
Cream Cheese
Paper-thin sliced red onion
Sliced tomato
Lettuce
 
KravMaga said:
You have to read Lawrence Sanders' Deadly Sins series. His protaganist,
Delaney, is obsessed with the perfect sandwich and the books contain some of the most delicious ones, including sardines..

I shall look for it, thanks!

Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book has some amazing selections in it.
 
KravMaga said:
Sweet and Sour Sardines: Sarde in Agrodolce


1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cups peeled ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
1/4 cup pine nuts
6 sardines, gutted and cleaned but heads left on
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley

Place the oil in a large skillet and heat over high heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt and chile flakes and cook over medium-high heat, uncovered, 6 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar, sugar, raisins and pine nuts and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the fish in a single layer, if possible. Baste with the sauce and cook, covered, for 7 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the liquid is greatly reduced and the fish is in a thick, flavorful sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot or at room temperature.

I had something similar to this in a café on Cape Sounion near Athens. Delicious!
 
tortoise said:
I shall look for it, thanks!

Nancy Silverton's Sandwich Book has some amazing selections in it.
All the fucking fun restaurants that I want to go to are on the left coast..
 
Tinkersquash said:
I love perfectly-done spaghetti squash.
And tinker squash, stewed in her own juices. *ahem*

Yes! We always had spaghetti squash in our garden when I was a kid. Lots of butter, lots of garlic. Yum.

And you know that second dish you mentioned is making my mouth water something fierce. *growl*
 
Another one...I've not had it but I bet I'd like it!

Sardine Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 container (8-ounce size) chive-and-onion cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon fresh dill
4 squares (2 1/2- x 2 1/2-inch) focaccia, split
2 cans (4.375-ounce size) boneless, skinless sardines in olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
1 red onion, thinly sliced

Directions:
Combine first 3 ingredients; spread on cut sides of focaccia. Arrange sardines, capers, and onion on cream cheese mixture on squares of focaccia. Top with remaining focaccia.

Note: In lieu of focaccia, you can use any kind of crusty bakery bread cut into squares.

This recipe for Sardine Sandwiches serves/makes 4
 
Now here is a wonderful fall recipe! I've made it several times using a bit more dijon and cheese!

:)

Zucchini Deep Dish Pie

Ingredients:

Crust

1 package (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls

2 teaspoons Dijon mustard


Filling

4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (3-4 small)

1 cup coarsely chopped onion

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1 garlic clove, pressed

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

2 eggs

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F. For crust, unroll crescent dough; separate into triangles. Arrange evenly in Deep Dish Baker with points toward the center. Using lightly floured Baker's Roller™, roll dough over bottom to seal seams. Press dough halfway up sides to form a crust. Spread mustard over bottom of crust.

For filling, slice zucchini using Ultimate Slice & Grate fitted with adjustable thin slicing blade. Coarsely chop onion using Food Chopper. Melt butter in Family (12-in.) Skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir zucchini, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Whisk eggs in Classic Batter Bowl. Stir in cheese. Add vegetable mixture; mix well. Pour vegetable mixture over crust, spreading evenly. Bake 25-30 minutes or until center is set and crust is golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.

Yield: 8 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 280, Total Fat 19 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Carbohydrate 16 g, Protein 12 g, Sodium 650 mg, Fiber 1 g

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd. 2003
www.pamperedchef.com
 
alisonwunderlnd said:
food can be so damn sexy

Yes, yes it can. One of my greatest joys is watching a lover's face as she takes a bite of something that gives her intense pleasure. If it happens to be something that I have prepared for her, my joy increases tenfold. Makes me hot just thinking about it.
 
tortoise said:
Yes, yes it can. One of my greatest joys is watching a lover's face as she takes a bite of something that gives her intense pleasure. If it happens to be something that I have prepared for her, my joy increases tenfold. Makes me hot just thinking about it.
its a very pleasurable way for me to express what i feel for somene through my food....
 
alisonwunderlnd said:
its a very pleasurable way for me to express what i feel for somene through my food....

Absolutely. Cooking is always a labor of love for me, but when I'm cooking for people I love, it becomes nothing short of transcendant. I pour my heart and soul into it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top