Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
seaux seaux on the gumbeaux they brought home....i want some of your gumborgasm....;)

Food nonorgasm: my tahini sauce for my ho'made falafel came out way too heavy and earthy and 1972. Fucking hippies. Fucking Moosewood cookbook. The SCHWARMA AND FALAFEL KINGS (that's what their tee shirts say) on Broadway make such delicious light sauce....but I can't eat their product, something about it (maybe the cooking oil) gives me gnarly distress. Thus, I am trying to cook it at home and I will never trust these hippies again!

rosco rathbone said:
Food nonorgasm: my tahini sauce for my ho'made falafel came out way too heavy and earthy and 1972. Fucking hippies. Fucking Moosewood cookbook. The SCHWARMA AND FALAFEL KINGS (that's what their tee shirts say) on Broadway make such delicious light sauce....but I can't eat their product, something about it (maybe the cooking oil) gives me gnarly distress. Thus, I am trying to cook it at home and I will never trust these hippies again!

This a bad night for the enchanted broccoli forest.

rosco rathbone said:
Moosewood is notorious for recipes that sound great,but come out weak...You should look into The Best Recipe which is authored by the people who write Cooks Illustrated and produce the show on PBS, America's Test Kitchen. The premise (and I'm sorry if you already know this) is that they try dozens of different ways of cooking something until they come up with the right recipe. By the way there is a small restaurant that just opened on the upper west side called Hummous. It's great!

KravMaga said:
Moosewood is notorious for recipes that sound great,but come out weak...You should look into The Best Recipe which is authored by the people who write Cooks Illustrated and produce the show on PBS, America's Test Kitchen. The premise (and I'm sorry if you already know this) is that they try dozens of different ways of cooking something until they come up with the right recipe. By the way there is a small restaurant that just opened on the upper west side called Hummous. It's great!

My mom has a cookbook like that, don't know if it's the same one. They test various methods and sort of do a mythbusters thing. It looked good. I have a Barnes and Nobble gift cert, I need cookbook recommends from you people. The classics--the ones that are solid gold.

Ginny said:
seaux seaux on the gumbeaux they brought home....i want some of your gumborgasm....;)

Mine would blow B's away, Cajun maw-maw or not. It turned out so damn good!

*happy dance*

I'm still here, getting ready to play some more games with the family, but I wanted to report that the gumbo was a resounding success. I hope you all have had, are having, or will have intense foodgasms of your own today. If I could, I would share my gumbo with each and every one of you. We so need a lit dinner party, followed by a lit campout, followed by... well, the possibilities are endless.

I'll check back later tonight when I get home. Have fun!

rosco rathbone said:
My mom has a cookbook like that, don't know if it's the same one. They test various methods and sort of do a mythbusters thing. It looked good. I have a Barnes and Nobble gift cert, I need cookbook recommends from you people. The classics--the ones that are solid gold.

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
by Marcella Hazan

Classic Pasta Cookbook
by Giuliano Hazan

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume One and Volume Two
by Julia Child

Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
by Julia Child and Jacques Pepin

Ken Hom's Foolproof Chinese Cooking
by DK Publishing

The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with 1,000 Recipes
by Editors of Cook's Illustrated

The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean
by Paula Wolfert

Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
by Paul Prudhomme

The Essentials of Japanese Cooking (Hardcover)
by Tokiko Suzuki

KravMaga said:
The Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean
by Paula Wolfert

I love all the books you listed, but I have a soft spot for Paula. She writes so sensually, so beautifully. She has another book that I love, called The Slow Mediterranean Cookbook. Immersive experience.

Tortoise, you make the thoughts of food dance for me again. Thank you.

Okay, I am compelled to stay and talk food (even with my foodlust temporarily sated), but I do need to go. Keep talking in my absence, and I'll catch up tonight.

Bon Appetit!

falafel, ick. no such beast as a good falafel.

i'll stand behind anything by julia, my favorite secret agent girl cum chef.

to replace moosewood i'd recommend any in the "vegetarian epicure" series. been using those for years and every recipe comes out a winner. they've all been obviously tested and refined.

the joy of cooking. really good for going back to basics, which never fail to please.

if you want to explore classic french cooking, you can't beat "larousse gastronomique." it's a classic. presentation is not like the typical american cookbook, but once you make a dish or two it will start to make more sense.

tortoise said:
We so need a lit dinner party, followed by a lit campout, followed by... well, the possibilities are endless.
i'm game for this. i'd even host.

Hester said:

to replace moosewood i'd recommend any in the "vegetarian epicure" series. been using those for years and every recipe comes out a winner. they've all been obviously tested and refined.

the joy of cooking. really good for going back to basics, which never fail to please.

if you want to explore classic french cooking, you can't beat "larousse gastronomique." it's a classic. presentation is not like the typical american cookbook, but once you make a dish or two it will start to make more sense.

I beg to differ with you....

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Salt
Pepper
Oil for frying
PREPARATION:
Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.

Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.

Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.

Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add baking powder.

Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.

Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.

Fry in 2 inches of oil until golden brown (5-7 minutes).

or even better

1 cup dried chickpeas
1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon baking powder
4-6 tablespoons flour
Soybean or vegetable oil for frying
Chopped tomato for garnish
Diced onion for garnish
Diced green bell pepper for garnish
Tahina sauce
Pita bread

1. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained.

2. Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.

3. Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough bulgur or flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.

4. Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts, or use a falafel scoop, available in Middle-Eastern markets.

5. Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a deep pot or wok and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about 6 balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Stuff half a pita with falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and pickled turnips. Drizzle with tahina thinned with water.

NOTE: Egyptians omit the cilantro and substitute fava beans for the chickpeas.

Like your book choices

and I left out one important book,

Madelein Cooks; she is a Julia Child in her own right.

Hester said:

Best French cookbook is Jacques Burdick's "French Cooking En Famille"

KravMaga said:
Just a tad less expensive. I'll have to take a look. With the weather getting colder it'l be Casoulette time in no time.

Cassoulet isn't a dish, it's an event. I love the long, involved labors of love, and that is one of the most laborious and lovely. I should make it this winter.

Gumbo makes me very sleepy. Can barely keep my eyes open.

ForeverNAlways said:
I did it!!

Shrimp Gumbo ~ and it turned out wonderful.

Induced a very strange dream at naptime however.

Yay! Oh, that makes me smile. Did you enjoy making it as well as eating it? Do you see what I mean about the moment when the trinity hits the roux?

Nap. Yes. Gumbo makes me very sleepy. I can barely keep my eyes open, but I had to come check in on you lovelies.

Hester said:
it's a textural thing for me. sorry :(

Yeah, bad falafel can be very, very unpleasant texturally. Fried balls of sand. But if it's done right, it can be crunchy outside, moist and almost creamy inside. Fried balls of love.

KravMaga said:
Then that makes total sense.....for me it's liver...can't stand the smell, texture or taste...
i have a long list. i'm a texture snob. liver makes the list :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back