Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I must needs leave you all to your own devices again for a bit. Have fun, and don't burn the kitchen down while I'm away!
 
tortoise said:
I'm so there!



I often do, yes. That was the first variety I made. Lately I've become enamored of using thinly sliced cauliflower in my tortillas, which I saute until lightly brown with onions. It has become one of my favorite tapas for parties.

I make my own tortillas, but they're so good...I eat them a lot right off the grill, warm.

But homemade tortillas, with sour cream enchiladas...mmm.
 
Recidiva said:
I make my own tortillas, but they're so good...I eat them a lot right off the grill, warm.

But homemade tortillas, with sour cream enchiladas...mmm.
truly one of the best comfort foods outside of mashed potatoes available.
 
Recidiva said:
I make my own tortillas, but they're so good...I eat them a lot right off the grill, warm.

But homemade tortillas, with sour cream enchiladas...mmm.
Can we see the recipe on that? I know you have to have a certain kind of cornmeal.
 
rosco rathbone said:
Can we see the recipe on that? I know you have to have a certain kind of cornmeal.

Most of the bread I'll make is from "The Wooden Spoon Bread Book" (transcribing 'cause I love you)

Flour Tortillas:

In a mixing bowl, stir well together:

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Rub into flour mixture with your fingers:

1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces

Mix in to form a soft dough that is not sticky

1/2 cup more or less, very warm tap water.

Cover dough in bowl and let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each piece into a ball, toss lightly in flour, and return to the bowl. Cover and rest 15 to 30 minutes. Working with one ball at a time, roll out until very thin. The circle should be about 6 inches in diameter. Turn the dough over repeatedly while rolling, dusting with flour only when necessary to prevent sticking. Brush off any flour that may remain on the surface of the tortilla. Cook on a dry, medium hot, heavy skillet until blistered. Flip over and cook the other side, just until very lightly browned. COol on a plate covered with a paper towel or serve at once. When tortillas are completely cooled, they may be stacked and stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator or freezer. Before serving, reheat on a medium-hot, dry skillet.

Note: If you have never made tortillas before, you will probably be slow in rolling them out. Beware of overheating the skillet if you do not have a new tortilla ready to go on every time a cooked one comes off. If they appear to be cooking too rapidly, lower the heat.

(reci's note: I use bleached flour, I don't know the difference, use your preference, I get all-purpose and it's fine)
 
tortoise said:
As I stir and probe with my spatula until the trinity reaches its apotheosis, the aromatic explosion deepens and intensifies.

ooohhh talk about...pussay, semen and sweat in tha air....:heart:
 
The Boodle stole this recipe from Playboy, but wholy fuckin' shit, it's fuckin' good.

Strawberry Sandwiches With Brioche and Brie

2 slices brioche-style bread
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 tbs. for browning
1/4 cup sugar
1 jar good-quality strawberry jam
1 pint strawberries, cored and sliced
6 oz. sliced Brie, at room temperature
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Butter the brioche slices on both sides. Sprinkle one side of each with regular sugar and turn the slices sugared-side down. Spread each slice with jam and cover with a layer of sliced strawberries, then a layer of Brie slices. Cap with the other piece of brioche (sugared side out), and press down gently. Heat one tablespoon of butter in a cast-iron skillet over a burner set to medium-low. Put the sandwich in the dry skillet and cook two to three minutes, until the sugar caramelizes, the bread turns golden and the cheese begins to melt. Flip and cook until the second side is golden. Remove from the pan, dust with confectioners' sugar, and cut into four pieces. Once cooled, the outside of the sandwich should snap like a crème brûlée. Serve warm with glasses of cold prosecco.

(I used some homemade strawberry+peach preserves that one of my mom's co-workers made, and challah instead of brioche, and boooooy was it gooder than hell!)
 
Recidiva said:
I make my own tortillas, but they're so good...I eat them a lot right off the grill, warm.

But homemade tortillas, with sour cream enchiladas...mmm.

I absolutely LOVE homemade Mexican tortillas, and I'm sure yours are delicious. Thank you for the recipe!

Just to clarify, though, as it can be very confusing: a Spanish tortilla is an egg-based concoction, akin to a frittata or a "crustless quiche." The "filling" tends to be simpler than a frittata, though, usually one or two main ingredients, and no cheese. The simplicity is a selling point for me, as you can really taste the main ingredients. Potatoes are traditional, but as I said, I've come to love cauliflower tortillas even more. When the cauliflower is just the right texture and lightly caramelized, it lends a wonderful depth of flavor to the dish. They have become one of my favorite tapas to prepare, perfect for parties as they are best served at room temperature, cut into pieces. They disappear like hotcakes.

img_recipe_tortilla.jpg


Ginny said:
ooohhh talk about...pussay, semen and sweat in tha air....:heart:

These are a few of my favorite things. :heart:

You tasted quite a bit of my cooking, sweet girl, but I never did get to make my gumbo for you. Of course, EVERYBODY makes gumbo down there this time of the year, so it wouldn't have been much of a treat. Like carrying coals to Newcastle.

Minkey Boodle said:
The Boodle stole this recipe from Playboy, but wholy fuckin' shit, it's fuckin' good.

That sounds crazy delicious, boodle, thanks!
 
KravMaga said:
And yet, my friends tell me that the ole' white flower ain't worth a tinkers cuss...but I have found that cooking the blighted flower can lead to a non-carbo alternative to potatoes that i have yet to try...

This is very true, but I try not to think of it as a potato substitute, as it has definite charms that are all its own, if properly prepared. Sliced thin and sauteed until perfectly caramelized, it will take a back seat to no tuber.

I've been doing the now-ubiquitous cauliflower mash thing for years, before carbs were even an issue. It has a wonderful light flavor and mouthfeel all its own, so I never saw it as a substitute at all. I have refined it just a bit over the years, while still keeping it simple, until I reached what I think just might be the best cauliflower mash on the planet. My first refinement was to use both cauliflower and celery root (1 peeled root per large head of cauliflower, both cut into 1 inch cubes and boiled until soft in salt water, drain and puree with a hand blender, adding chicken stock until desired consistency). Then, as I was in my favorite market getting my celery root one day, I walked by these beautiful leeks, and the flavor combination tickled my brain's tastebuds immediately. So, now I sweat some leeks (1 leek/1 head/1 root) and add them to the mash. I served them at my last dinner pary, and it was almost frightening how quickly they vanished. Raves all around. It would also make a simple light soup, simply by adding more stock as you puree.
 
BoobsNBrains said:
I have actually shared the recipe with another Litster. I find it more fun to make and send them, though...I'm a giver.

That is fantastic. Foodgasms by mail.
 
So, I woke up this morning and put the roast in the crock pot. Garlic, lots of it, onion soup mix, bouillon, Itallian seasonings (rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram), salt and pepper. And a dash of worcestershire. Just enough water to make gravy with. Now it sits there all day and torments us with the aroma.
 
gravyrug said:
So, I woke up this morning and put the roast in the crock pot. Garlic, lots of it, onion soup mix, bouillon, Itallian seasonings (rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram), salt and pepper. And a dash of worcestershire. Just enough water to make gravy with. Now it sits there all day and torments us with the aroma.

That sounds so delicious, gravy. It's been far too long since I've had a succulent pot roast.

We need to invent an instant food transporter, so we can all share tidbits. I will totally trade you a quart of gumbo for a goodly chunk of your chuck.
 
Olivianna said:
cheesegasm:

medium_petit-basque_2_.jpg


mmm...served with a meursault...

Oh, I have more cheesegasms than I could possibly count, but P'tit Basque is one of my all time favorites. Love it with ripe pears.

Our local bakery/wine/gourmet ingredient shop used to have one of the best cheese selections around. Then they completely sold out, and everything that was good and holy about the place went out the window. No prosciutto, no cheeses, no 25 year balsamico, no truffle oil, no...

*sobbing uncontrollably*
 
Last edited:
tortoise said:
Oh, I have more cheesegasms than I could possibly count, but P'tit Basque is one of my all time favorites. Love it with ripe pears.

Our local bakery/wine/gourmet ingredient shop used to have one of the best cheese selections around. Then they completely sold out, and everything that was good and holy about the place went out the window. No prosciutto, no cheeses, no 25 year balsamico, no truffle oil, no...

*sobbing uncontrollably*

i bet you would enjoy some bucheron:

bucheron.jpg



or a florette:

020511.jpg



i think that cheese is pretty much the one food i truly lust over. i have a strong preference for sheep and goat cheeses, but i also appreciate a hard, robust cow's milk.
 
tortoise said:
Oh, I have more cheesegasms than I could possibly count, but P'tit Basque is one of my all time favorites. Love it with ripe pears.

Our local bakery/wine/gourmet ingredient shop used to have one of the best cheese selections around. Then they completely sold out, and everything that was good and holy about the place went out the window. No prosciutto, no cheeses, no 25 year balsamico, no truffle oil, no...

*sobbing uncontrollably*

damn them!

no wonder YOUR ASS HATES CHEESE!

enjoy your gumbo, my love.....i'm headed to the gym then back here to....finish stuff....;):kiss:
 
I have a friend in Portland who is my cheese mentor. She has introduced me to cheeses that I never knew existed. It's a nonstop foodgasm every time I visit her.
 
Ginny said:
damn them!

no wonder YOUR ASS HATES CHEESE!

enjoy your gumbo, my love.....i'm headed to the gym then back here to....finish stuff....;):kiss:

Yes! Less than a week til your amazing Saturday! I'm going backpacking next weekend, weather permitting, but you'll have to tell me all about it when I get back Sunday evening.

Have fun at the gym, swet girl. :kiss:
 
Just got done cooking for the family breakfast:

French Toast for Challah or Sandwich Bread

Though thick-sliced challah is best for French toast, you can substitute high-quality, presliced sandwich bread. Flipping challah is easiest with tongs, but a spatula works best with sandwich bread. To speed the cooking of large quantities, heat two or more skillets to brown a few batches at once. To vary the flavor of the batter, add three-quarters of a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or one-half teaspoon of ground nutmeg with the dry ingredients, or substitute almond extract for the vanilla.

Makes 4-5 challah slices, 6-8 sandwich slices 1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, plus extra for frying
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt
4 - 5 slices day-old challah bread (3/4-inch-thick) or 6 to 8 slices day-old sandwich bread


1. Heat 10- to 12-inch skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat egg lightly in shallow pan or pie plate; whisk in butter, then milk and vanilla, and finally sugar, flour, and salt, continuing to whisk until smooth. Soak bread without oversaturating, about 40 seconds per side for challah or 30 seconds per side for sandwich bread. Pick up bread and allow excess batter to drip off; repeat with remaining slices.

2. Swirl 1 tablespoon butter in hot skillet. Transfer prepared bread to skillet; cook until golden brown, about 1 minute 45 seconds on first side and 1 minute on the second. Serve immediately. Continue, adding 1 tablespoon butter to skillet for each new batch.
 
tortoise said:
Yes! Less than a week til your amazing Saturday! I'm going backpacking next weekend, weather permitting, but you'll have to tell me all about it when I get back Sunday evening.

Have fun at the gym, swet girl. :kiss:

was that sweat or sweet or by the deletion of the "a" did you combine the two?



;)

love you!....byeeee!

get Taterina in here!
 
Recidiva said:
I love fried cheese, too. Spanish Queso Frito made to hold up to the heat.

Yum!

Oh, I thought of another excellent use for a nonstick pan: "fried" parmigiano reggiano. I shave the cheese with my OXO vegetable peeler, then arrange them into coaster-sized circles in a dry, hot, nonstick pan. They will melt, bubble, and start to brown at the edges, which is the signal to flip and cook the other side. Remove from pan and let them cool to room temperature, as they only get crisp after they cool.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top