Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
tortoise said:
Yup yup. Clean up is not an issue for me, so much, but there are some things that you just can't do properly without the proper appliances. I have a pizza stone, which does okay, but can't touch a real wood oven. So, until I have my dream kitchen that HAS a wood pizza oven, I'll save that one for the pros as well.
Just passing back through between writing jags

Grilled Tomato and Cheese Pizzas for Gas Grill

The pizzas cook very quickly on the grill, so before you begin grilling them, be sure to have all the equipment and ingredients you need at hand. Equipment includes a pizza peel (or a rimless baking sheet), a pair of tongs, a paring knife, a large cutting board, and a pastry brush; ingredients include all the toppings and a small bowl of flour for dusting. Timing and coordination are crucial; if you are unsure of your skill level, try cooking the first two pizzas one at a time, then work up to cooking the final two in tandem. The pizzas are best served hot off the grill but can be kept warm for 20 to 30 minutes on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven.

Makes four 9-inch pizzas
Dough

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup water (8 ounces), room temperature
2 cups bread flour (11 ounces), plus more for work surface
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (optional)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast

Topping

1 1/2 pounds medium plum tomatoes (5 to 6), cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 ounces fontina cheese , shredded (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , finely grated (about 3/4 cup)
1 recipe Spicy Garlic Oil (see associated recipe)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Coarse salt

1. FOR THE CRUST: Combine oil and water in liquid measuring cup. In food processor fitted with plastic dough blade or metal blade, process bread flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and yeast until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, slowly add liquid through feed tube; continue to process until dough forms tacky, elastic ball that clears sides of workbowl, about 1 1/2 minutes. If dough ball does not form, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and process until dough ball forms. Spray medium bowl lightly with nonstick cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Transfer dough to bowl and press down to flatten surface; cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in draft-free spot until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2. When dough has doubled, press down gently to deflate; turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 4 equal-sized pieces. With cupped palm, form each piece into smooth, tight ball. Set dough balls on well-floured work surface. Press dough rounds with hand to flatten; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. FOR THE TOPPING: Meanwhile, toss tomatoes and table salt in medium bowl; transfer to colander and drain 30 minutes (wipe out and reserve bowl). Shake colander to drain off excess liquid; transfer tomatoes to now-empty bowl and set aside. Combine cheeses in second medium bowl and set aside.

4. Gently stretch dough rounds into disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Working one piece at a time and keeping the rest covered, roll out each disk to 1/8-inch thickness, 9 to 10 inches in diameter, on well-floured sheet of parchment paper, dusting with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. (If dough shrinks when rolled out, cover with plastic wrap and let rest until relaxed, 10 to 15 minutes.) Dust surface of rolled dough with flour and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough, stacking sheets of rolled dough on top of each other (with parchment in between) and covering stack with plastic wrap; set aside until grill is ready.

5. TO GRILL: Light all burners and turn to high heat, cover grill, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes; scrape cooking grate clean with grill brush.

6. Lightly flour pizza peel; invert 1 dough round onto peel, gently stretching it as needed to retain shape (do not stretch dough too thin; thin spots will burn quickly). Peel off and discard parchment; carefully slide round onto hot side of grill. Immediately repeat with another dough round. Cook (with grill lid down) until tops are covered with bubbles (pierce larger bubbles with paring knife) and bottoms are grill marked and charred in spots, 2 to 3 minutes; while rounds cook, check undersides and slide to cool area of grill if browning too quickly. Transfer crusts to cutting board browned sides up. Repeat with 2 remaining dough rounds.

7. Brush 2 crusts generously with Spicy Garlic Oil; top each evenly with one-quarter of cheese mixture and one-quarter of tomatoes. Return pizzas to grill and cover grill with lid; cook until bottoms are well browned and cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes, checking bottoms frequently to prevent burning. Transfer pizzas to cutting board; repeat with remaining 2 crusts. Sprinkle pizzas with basil and coarse salt to taste; cut into wedges and serve immediately.

Grilled Tomato and Cheese Pizzas For Charcoal Grill

The pizzas cook very quickly on the grill, so before you begin grilling them, be sure to have all the equipment and ingredients you need at hand. Equipment includes a pizza peel (or a rimless baking sheet), a pair of tongs, a paring knife, a large cutting board, and a pastry brush; ingredients include all the toppings and a small bowl of flour for dusting. Timing and coordination are crucial; if you are unsure of your skill level, try cooking the first two pizzas one at a time, then work up to cooking the final two in tandem. The pizzas are best served hot off the grill but can be kept warm for 20 to 30 minutes on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven. Hardwood charcoal and charcoal briquettes work equally well. Whichever you use, it is important that the coals be spread in an even layer over three-quarters of the grill bottom; coals placed any higher will scorch the crust.

Makes four 9-inch pizzas
Dough

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup water (8 ounces), room temperature
2 cups bread flour (11 ounces), plus more for work surface
1 tablespoon whole wheat flour (optional)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast

Topping

1 1/2 pounds medium plum tomatoes (5 to 6), cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3/4 teaspoon table salt
6 ounces fontina cheese , shredded (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , finely grated (about 3/4 cup)
1 recipe Spicy Garlic Oil (see associated recipe)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Coarse salt

1. FOR THE CRUST: Combine oil and water in liquid measuring cup. In food processor fitted with plastic dough blade or metal blade, process bread flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and yeast until combined, about 5 seconds. With machine running, slowly add liquid through feed tube; continue to process until dough forms tacky, elastic ball that clears sides of workbowl, about 1 1/2 minutes. If dough ball does not form, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time and process until dough ball forms. Spray medium bowl lightly with nonstick cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Transfer dough to bowl and press down to flatten surface; cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in draft-free spot until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

2. When dough has doubled, press down gently to deflate; turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 4 equal-sized pieces. With cupped palm, form each piece into smooth, tight ball. Set dough balls on well-floured work surface. Press dough rounds with hand to flatten; cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. FOR THE TOPPING: Meanwhile, toss tomatoes and table salt in medium bowl; transfer to colander and drain 30 minutes (wipe out and reserve bowl). Shake colander to drain off excess liquid; transfer tomatoes to now-empty bowl and set aside. Combine cheeses in second medium bowl and set aside.

4. Gently stretch dough rounds into disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Working one piece at a time and keeping the rest covered, roll out each disk to 1/8-inch thickness, 9 to 10 inches in diameter, on well-floured sheet of parchment paper, dusting with additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. (If dough shrinks when rolled out, cover with plastic wrap and let rest until relaxed, 10 to 15 minutes.) Dust surface of rolled dough with flour and set aside. Repeat with remaining dough, stacking sheets of rolled dough on top of each other (with parchment in between) and covering stack with plastic wrap; set aside until grill is ready.

5. TO GRILL: Ignite 6 quarts (1 large chimney) hardwood charcoal or briquettes in chimney starter and burn until fully ignited, 15 to 20 minutes. Empty coals into grill and spread into even layer over three-quarters of grill, leaving one quadrant free of coals. Position cooking grate over coals and heat until grill is medium-hot, about 5 minutes (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill grate for 4 seconds); scrape grate clean with grill brush.

6. Lightly flour pizza peel; invert 1 dough round onto peel, gently stretching it as needed to retain shape (do not stretch dough too thin; thin spots will burn quickly). Peel off and discard parchment; carefully slide round onto hot side of grill. Immediately repeat with another dough round. Cook until tops are covered with bubbles (pierce larger bubbles with paring knife) and bottoms are grill marked and charred in spots, 1 to 2 minutes; while rounds cook, check undersides and slide to cool area of grill if browning too quickly. Transfer crusts to cutting board browned sides up. Repeat with 2 remaining dough rounds.

7. Brush 2 crusts generously with Spicy Garlic Oil; top each evenly with one-quarter of cheese mixture and one-quarter of tomatoes. Return pizzas to grill and cover grill with lid; cook until bottoms are well browned and cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes, checking bottoms frequently to prevent burning. Transfer pizzas to cutting board; repeat with remaining 2 crusts. Sprinkle pizzas with basil and coarse salt to taste; cut into wedges and serve immediately.

tortoise said:
Yum! And yes, a ricer is key.

(And I was positive you were going to give me your "have you ever been through a hurricane and been without power for days? EAT THE FUCKING POTATOES!" speech)

*giggling*

I have a lot of speeches...

Paendragon said:
I agree . . . this is the only real way to do it.

I'm making a version of a bolognese tomorrow.

My recipe for whomever wants to play around with it, follows.

This sauce drives me crazy . . . crazy! I love the way the whole house smells while it's simmering.

Sauce pot on high heat
Brown one large onion
Brown one pound of ground beef
Remove three sausage (hot or sweet Italian) from casings and and slice three more into one inch pieces, brown with beef
Add hand-crushed tomatoes (enough so that meat is well covered)
Add six cloves of garlic (crushed and diced), lots of fresh basil, one stick of pepperoni cut into chunks (trust me), crushed dried red pepper (if you like it spicy . . . with hot sausage . . . if not leave it out), salt and pepper to taste, and a few tablespoons of extra vigin olive oil.
Wait until it boils, then lower to simmer.
Simmer for ten minutes, then add red wine (something rich and dark) to taste (but not too much . . . I suggest doing this in smaller quanities, letting it cook for a bit, then adding more if you desire).
Cook on medium/low heat for at least an hour.

This is just a guideline. If you like more beef, add more beef, and the same with the sausage. Experiment and make it your own.

The essense of the "foodgasm" to me isn't just the finished product . . . it's the process of getting there . . . of creating something that you know people will enjoy . . . of finding that perfect mix of ingredients . . .

I'm a sensualist.

YES! This man gets it. The process. My time spent in the kitchen does not count against my lifespan, because of the pure joy that envelopes me there, protects me. Cooking for those you love, making them happy. All five senses engrossed in creation of joy. Bliss.

Your sauce bolognese sounds so damn good. I will have to play with it. Thank you so much!

Decadent Steak for Two anyone?

RIB-EYE STEAKS WITH MUSHROOMS, BRANDY AND BLUE CHEESE

2 10- to 12-ounce rib-eye steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 pound mushrooms, thickly sliced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup canned beef broth
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1 1/4 cups crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounces)

Fresh rosemary sprigs

Place steaks in shallow dish. Drizzle with oil; rub oil all over steaks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.

Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté until mushrooms are just tender, about 4 minutes.

Heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks to skillet; fry until cooked to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Using tongs, transfer steaks to plates; tent loosely with foil to keep warm.

Add broth, then brandy and minced rosemary to same large skillet and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add mushroom mixture. Boil until liquid is thick enough to coat spoon lightly, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup cheese; stir just until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon sauce over steaks. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.

Makes 2 servings.

After your done, I seriously recommend a good round of the horizontal huck-a-buck to work off the calories.

KravMaga said:

Dude. You rock! Thank you.

This is hilarious, because I almost wrote, in my pizza diatribe, about grilled pizzas being the only pizzas I truly love to do at home. My friend in Portland got me hooked on grilled pizza parties, and it's an absolute blast.

rosco rathbone said:
You ought to be a food writer, manseed.

Or maybe you already are.

Thank you, rapscallion. I do love to write about my passions.

Oral sex and food: two subjects which bring out your cunning linguistic talents. This thread was waiting to be born. No wonder it has gotten so many posts so rapidly.

tortoise said:
Dude. You rock! Thank you.

This is hilarious, because I almost wrote, in my pizza diatribe, about grilled pizzas being the only pizzas I truly love to do at home. My friend in Portland got me hooked on grilled pizza parties, and it's an absolute blast.

I like pita pizzas in the oven. Since I'm not expecting the pizza crust, the pita's unique and works.

Olivia_Yearns said:
Oral sex and food: two subjects which bring out your cunning linguistic talents. This thread was waiting to be born. No wonder it has gotten so many posts so rapidly.

An appropriate precursor

WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO

3 14 1/2-ounce cans vegetable broth

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, chopped
1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (such as oyster, crimini and stemmed shiitake), sliced
1 cup arborio rice* or medium-grain rice
1/2 cup dry Sherry
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

Bring vegetable broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep broth hot.

Melt 3 tablespoons butter with olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add wild mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender and juices are released, about 8 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Add Sherry and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add 3/4 cup hot vegetable broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining hot vegetable broth 3/4 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh thyme. Serve warm.

Then retire to the hearth...

tortoise said:
YES! This man gets it. The process. My time spent in the kitchen does not count against my lifespan, because of the pure joy that envelopes me there, protects me. Cooking for those you love, making them happy. All five senses engrossed in creation of joy. Bliss.

Your sauce bolognese sounds so damn good. I will have to play with it. Thank you so much!
Anytime. I'm liking this thread. Great job.

Made me hungry though . . . and since I just ate, that's a bad thing.

Olivia_Yearns said:

You never fail to make me smile. (Etc.)

:kiss:

Recidiva said:
I like pita pizzas in the oven. Since I'm not expecting the pizza crust, the pita's unique and works.

I haven't tried that, but it sounds very good. Those boboli thingies are okay, but way too much bread for me. I'm all about thin crusts. Like Todd English says, pizza crusts can never be too rich or too thin.

KravMaga said:
An appropriate precursor

WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Risotto is another labor of love for me.

"But you have to stand there and stir stir stir" = yet another wet mackerel smack

I don't have to, infidel. I want to!!!

Krav, you are an excellent addition to this place. Makes me extremely happy to meet a fellow traveler.

tortoise said:
You never fail to make me smile. (Etc.)

:kiss:

I haven't tried that, but it sounds very good. Those boboli thingies are okay, but way too much bread for me. I'm all about thin crusts. Like Todd English says, pizza crusts can never be too rich or too thin.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Risotto is another labor of love for me.

"But you have to stand there and stir stir stir" = yet another wet mackerel smack

I don't have to, infidel. I want to!!!

Krav, you are an excellent addition to this place. Makes me extremely happy to meet a fellow traveler.
I am really beginning to like this wet mackeral of which you speak...

Olivia_Yearns said:
*throws away cookbooks* Everything I cook will be from here for now on.

I love cookbooks, but not for recipes, usually. I pretty much use them only for inspiration, ideas to prod my culinary creativity in new directions. Very rarely will I follow a cookbook recipe to the letter, and if I do, then it's only the first time. If I make it again, I'll tweak it, make it my own. If I'm trying a recipe from a friend, though, I'll invariably follow it to the letter (the first time), so that I can give my honest opinion.

KravMaga said:
I am really beginning to like this wet mackeral of which you speak...

The wet mackerel is a prince among fish, efficacious when a gentle wake up call is in order.

Gentle, of course, being in the eye of the beholder. Er, upside the head of the beholder. Or something.

tortoise said:
I love cookbooks, but not for recipes, usually. I pretty much use them only for inspiration, ideas to prod my culinary creativity in new directions. Very rarely will I follow a cookbook recipe to the letter, and if I do, then it's only the first time. If I make it again, I'll tweak it, make it my own. If I'm trying a recipe from a friend, though, I'll invariably follow it to the letter (the first time), so that I can give my honest opinion.
I do that all the time.....to me recipes are to figure out the basics of how to make something... I rarely ever follow one completely. I don't measure with measuring spoons either...I just throw in a bunch of this or a pinch of that. I think that's kind of the secret to cooking and enjoying it....you just kind of "feel" out the recipe and add things with instinct.

Flyin_Free said:
I do that all the time.....to me recipes are to figure out the basics of how to make something... I rarely ever follow one completely. I don't measure with measuring spoons either...I just throw in a bunch of this or a pinch of that. I think that's kind of the secret to cooking and enjoying it....you just kind of "feel" out the recipe and add things with instinct.

Yes! I love to combine flavors in my head before they ever go into the pot, so cookbooks (and this thread!) are a fun sensual experience for me. I can taste things like Reci's chicken salad, or Paen's sauce bolognese, or all of Krav's recipes.

The "pinch of this, dash of that" aspect is also why I generally prefer cooking to baking, as baking is much more of an exact science (which is NOT to say that it's not creative, and hey, big ups to all you bakers out there, yo; your contributions are MORE than welcome in this thread!). I do love the sensory experience of making bread, though, that sense of combining a bunch of ingredients and creating what is essentially a living, breathing thing, kneading it, massaging it, letting it respirate... and then unceremoniously shoving it into an infernally hot oven! (muahahahahaha!) I would bake a lot more if I had my wood oven, though, as I love crusty breads that demand MORE HEAT!

KravMaga said:

i have a woodfired oven and i'm going to have to try this in there! thanks :)

i want a man like tortoise. i can see days and days of alternating cooking and sex and sex and cooking and never coming up for air. i'd be cum covered and 200lbs, but who gives a fuck.

Hester said:
i have a woodfired oven and i'm going to have to try this in there! thanks :)

!!!

*envying you hard up against the wall of your kitchen*

Hester said:
i want a man like tortoise. i can see days and days of alternating cooking and sex and sex and cooking and never coming up for air. i'd be cum covered and 200lbs, but who gives a fuck.

Hah! A nonstop bacchanal of food and sex and sex and food.

*grinning from ear to ear*

I know we're actually past the roux discussion, but I have to add in a quote from Mrs Rug to a friend (who had Cajun relatives): "To make gravy, first you make a roux, then you spoil it with water."

I think all Cajun recipes start with "First, you make a roux..."

gravyrug said:
I know we're actually past the roux discussion, but I have to add in a quote from Mrs Rug to a friend (who had Cajun relatives): "To make gravy, first you make a roux, then you spoil it with water."

All the GOOD ones, anyway.

gravyrug said:

Yes! It's all about the roux.

And we could never, ever be "past" the roux discussion, my friend. Roux is everlasting and eternal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back