Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recidiva said:
Foodgasms we go out for:

Dan Marino's:

The Almond Basket
Our most popular dessert. Baked almond brittle folded into a basket, filled with raspberry sorbet & fresh seasonal berries.

Hawks Landing Steakhouse:

His: Perfect aged steak in steak butter that's magic. (no, there's something in it called Marvin's Magic Seasoning, they won't tell us what, but we suspect worcestershire sauce and Lawry's seasoned salt)

Me: Lamb! Lamb! Lamb! Somebody makes lamb! Yaaaay!

Best scalloped potatoes ever, in a crock, paper thin sliced, layered with cream and cheese.

That dessert sounds orgasmic. I can't abide overly sweet desserts, so the likes of tangy sorbets and fresh berries are right up my alley. I would love the brittle basket, too, specially if it's saltysweet.

Both dinner selections sound divine. I think we've spoken before about my world famous butterflied grilled leg of lamb that I do every single Easter. My nostrils are flaring with lust just thinking about it.

A small pat of a good compound butter on steak is pure decadence, the only sort of "sauce" I'll ever let near my steak (well, I like mushrooms, but that's not really a sauce per se). Gin's sweet late uncle had this amazing recipe for a bleu cheese compound butter: bleu cheese (I use Maytag), softened unsalted butter, dash of dijon or creole mustard, dash of hot sauce, food processor until combined. Roll between wax paper, chill until set. A small medallion set to melt atop a perfectly grilled steak = toe curling orgasm.

Last edited:
tortoise said:
That dessert sounds orgasmic. I can't abide overly sweet desserts, so the likes tangy sorbets and fresh berries are right up my alley. I would love the brittle basket, too, specially if it's saltysweet.

Both dinner selections sound divine. I think we've spoken before about my world famous butterflied grilled leg of lamb that I do every single Easter. My nostrils are flaring with lust just thinking about it.

A small pat of a good compound butter on steak is pure decadence, the only sort of "sauce" I'll ever let near my steak (well, I like mushrooms, but that's not really a sauce per se). Gin's sweet late uncle had this amazing recipe for a bleu cheese compound butter: bleu cheese (I use Maytag), softened unsalted butter, dash of dijon or creole mustard, dash of hot sauce, food processor until combined. Roll between wax paper, chill until set. A small medallion set to melt atop a perfectly grilled steak = toe curling orgasm.

Yup, we go to the grill for just that dessert, order one and spend an hour or so breaking bits off the basket and little spoonfuls of berry and sorbet. Not too sweet with the sorbet, and the basket is perfect butter almond crunch.

Our new favorite steak is at Macaroni Grill, with cracked black pepper Boursin cheese melted on the top. I ordered it first, he ate some of it and bewailed only getting spaghetti. We know what we're getting next time.

Really good steak is hard for us to do at home because of the aging. I won't even try.

Recidiva said:
Yup, we go to the grill for just that dessert, order one and spend an hour or so breaking bits off the basket and little spoonfuls of berry and sorbet. Not too sweet with the sorbet, and the basket is perfect butter almond crunch.

Our new favorite steak is at Macaroni Grill, with cracked black pepper Boursin cheese melted on the top. I ordered it first, he ate some of it and bewailed only getting spaghetti. We know what we're getting next time.

Really good steak is hard for us to do at home because of the aging. I won't even try.

Oh, exactly. You have to know someone who knows someone if you hope to get the BEST prime steaks. Aged, marbled, tender...*drool*. Virtually all of them go to fine restaurants.

Yeah, Boursin would be amazing on a steak, never thought of that!

tortoise said:
Oh, exactly. You have to know someone who knows someone if you hope to get the BEST prime steaks. Aged, marbled, tender...*drool*. Virtually all of them go to fine restaurants.

Yeah, Boursin would be amazing on a steak, never thought of that!

Fried calamari is something else I won't do at home, Carrabba's is good at that. Also a Napa Valley place, Silverado Grill.

Really good pizza is hard, there's a Wolfgang Puck's that makes an excellent Margherita pizza worth going out for.

Anything involving too much heat or too much clean up, wood-fired stoves or industrial deep fryers, I'll go out for.

tortoise said:
Since my backpacking trip was postponed due to inclement weather, I am going to embrace that inclemency and create one of my favorite dishes for a cool, rainy day: shrimp gumbo. Gumbo is a definite labor of love for me, and I completely immerse myself in the entire process, focusing on it with all of my senses.

Prepping the trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper, chopped into hearty rustic chunks) is the first step. Next, prepping the tomatoes: always whole, canned, excellent quality San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by my impeccably clean (when I'm cooking, anyway) hands. In no other recipe is the mise en place so completely essential as it is in a gumbo, at least the way I prepare it, but more about that later.

Next comes the roux, and I never take any shortcuts with a roux. Doing so would sully the entire experience for me; it would be like "wham bam thank you ma'am" sex. Equal parts (by volume) flour and oil, slowly cooked to a dark mocha brown, stirring all the while. As it progresses through the various stages of its ontogeny (from almost white through pale blond through dulce de leche through peanut butter through cafe au lait to mocha), it gives off a bewildering array of aromas, redolent of every roasted thing under the sun: almonds, peanuts, marshmallows, coffee, chocolate, peppers; you name it, it's in there. All from two of the most humble, simple, basic ingredients on the planet.

Once the roux has reached its culmination, then comes the most transcendental moment of the entire process for me, probably my favorite moment in all of cooking. The roux is searingly, infernally hot by this point, radiating so much heat that it's almost uncomfortable to keep my hand in close enough proximity to stir. Into this vat of fragrant mocha lava, I toss the entire trinity at once, whereupon I experience my ultimate foodgasm. Heart pounding, I savor the sound of the trinity/roux union first, a sizzle so loud and intense that it's almost an electric roar, a swirling maelstrom of sublime white noise. Then. Oh, oh fuck yes, then. The smell hits me. Hard. Like a crashing, thunderous, aromatic wave. The scent of the naked roux was unbelievably complex, but the orgasmic melding of roux and trinity yields a sensory cloud far too sublime and intoxicating for my powers of description to even begin to capture, so I won't even try. Come to my kitchen sometime and experience it yourself. As I stir and probe with my spatula until the trinity reaches its apotheosis, the aromatic explosion deepens and intensifies.

I will continue this, but I... I think I need a moment alone with my thoughts now.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to share your own foodgasms, whether they are achieved by cooking or consuming. Don't be shy, now. You know you wanna.

Mmmm, what a wonderful thread. I can almost taste that.

I love making comfort foods, especially in the cooler months. One of my favorites is BBQ'd spareribs where you let them simmer for the entire day until the meat just falls off the bones and soups....all kinds of soups, from clam chowder to borscht to chicken soup. My Grandma used to make homemade noodles for her chicken soup....it took her the entire day and she'd roll the dough by hand....she'd make a bun sized piece of dough stretch over the entire table. I've always thought I'd like to try that someday.

Recidiva said:
Fried calamari is something else I won't do at home, Carrabba's is good at that. Also a Napa Valley place, Silverado Grill.

Really good pizza is hard, there's a Wolfgang Puck's that makes an excellent Margherita pizza worth going out for.

Anything involving too much heat or too much clean up, wood-fired stoves or industrial deep fryers, I'll go out for.

Yup yup. Clean up is not an issue for me, so much, but there are some things that you just can't do properly without the proper appliances. I have a pizza stone, which does okay, but can't touch a real wood oven. So, until I have my dream kitchen that HAS a wood pizza oven, I'll save that one for the pros as well.

For Thanksgiving I made clam chowder, got the Quahog clams, let them spit out the sand into fresh water for a few days, diced potatoes, salt pork cracklings, cream.
Reci, the salt pork cracklings.....is that all they're called? My Grandma, who was German, used to bring something down with her every time she came to visit. It started with a G but it's a German word that I'd have no idea how to spell. It was kind of like what I think pork cracklings would be and we would fry it and then eat it with bread.

Flyin_Free said:

I love making comfort foods, especially in the cooler months. One of my favorites is BBQ'd spareribs where you let them simmer for the entire day until the meat just falls off the bones and soups....all kinds of soups, from clam chowder to borscht to chicken soup. My Grandma used to make homemade noodles for her chicken soup....it took her the entire day and she'd roll the dough by hand....she'd make a bun sized piece of dough stretch over the entire table. I've always thought I'd like to try that someday.

Whenever I'm sick I make chicken soup, but it's gotta be makeable by a sick person.

Knorr's chicken broth cubes, flour and water at roughly half and half proportions. Boil up the broth, stir up the dumplings. I add garlic and herbs to the dumplings, whatever I have available (chives, cilantro, thyme) and then put lime juice, garlic and red chili flakes in the soup. Boil for about 10 minutes, easy. So very yummy and flexible. Clears up the sinuses.

Flyin_Free said:
Reci, the salt pork cracklings.....is that all they're called? My Grandma, who was German, used to bring something down with her every time she came to visit. It started with a G but it's a German word that I'd have no idea how to spell. It was kind of like what I think pork cracklings would be and we would fry it and then eat it with bread.

Yeah, you get salt pork in long flat cubes at the butchers and then render them down until they're crispy.

They go in one of the best salads I know. Bitter frisee and greens, with a dressing made from the warm "croutons" of rendered salt pork and the melted fat with vinegar and herbs. OH. MY.

Recidiva said:
Whenever I'm sick I make chicken soup, but it's gotta be makeable by a sick person.

Knorr's chicken broth cubes, flour and water at roughly half and half proportions. Boil up the broth, stir up the dumplings. I add garlic and herbs to the dumplings, whatever I have available (chives, cilantro, thyme) and then put lime juice, garlic and red chili flakes in the soup. Boil for about 10 minutes, easy. So very yummy and flexible. Clears up the sinuses.
I usually boil the chicken bones, then add the broth cubes, carrots, celery, rice, noodles, peas, chicken......mmm I can almost taste it. I agree though, it's not overly easy to make if you're already sick.

Recidiva said:
Yeah, you get salt pork in long flat cubes at the butchers and then render them down until they're crispy.

They go in one of the best salads I know. Bitter frisee and greens, with a dressing made from the warm "croutons" of rendered salt pork and the melted fat with vinegar and herbs. OH. MY.
Yep I think that's what it was. I don't recall ever cooking with them though. We'd just fry them up till they were crispy and add salt and rip off pieces of bread and eat them. I loved that stuff.

Flyin_Free said:

Thank you!

You are making my mouth water. LOVE short ribs. I only let myself indulge in them every once in a great while, but that makes them even more divine.

Soups, all soups, are probably my favorite thing to make. I love the tabula rasa that soups provide, giving you freedom to play with the ingredients, try different combinations. I make minestrone, chicken noodle (but not with homemade noodles; that WOULD be fun), chicken rice, all sorts of mushroom soups, butternut squash, roasted red pepper, clam chowder... okay, this list could go on forever. I love soups.

My favorite soup to eat out is Tom Kha Kai, a Thai soup. I haven't tried making it at home, because there is a local Thai place that makes it to perfection. I love the combination of the lime juice, coconut milk, chicken, lemongrass, and Thai basil, with lots of mushrooms. Droolworthy.

tortoise said:
Thank you!

You are making my mouth water. LOVE short ribs. I only let myself indulge in them every once in a great while, but that makes them even more divine.

Soups, all soups, are probably my favorite thing to make. I love the tabula rasa that soups provide, giving you freedom to play with the ingredients, try different combinations. I make minestrone, chicken noodle (but not with homemade noodles; that WOULD be fun), chicken rice, all sorts of mushroom soups, butternut squash, roasted red pepper, clam chowder... okay, this list could go on forever. I love soups.

My favorite soup to eat out is Tom Kha Kai, a Thai soup. I haven't tried making it at home, because there is a local Thai place that makes it to perfection. I love the combination of the lime juice, coconut milk, chicken, lemongrass, and Thai basil, with lots of mushrooms. Droolworthy.

My favorite soup is Tom Yam, also Thai. Lemon grass and lime leaves. Oh my.

Second favorite is hot and sour soup. I'll make that myself, it was easier when I was in San Francisco and could get "dried lily buds" and "tree ears" though. There's no place out here that makes it well, and I mourn my Chinese food.

Although a really good cuban sandwich from Florida locally is worth some of that trade. Pork and cheese, pickles and mustard on beautifully made bread in a sandwich press.

I have yet to find much better or easier than just country ribs in salt and pepper in the oven for an hour at 350. I'm not sure why almost anything can be made in the oven for an hour at 350, but I'm very grateful.

I'll make some mashed potatoes (with real butter, cream, and gravy) and ...whatever else you want (it's the mashed potatoes that I really crave) for you if I can try some gumbo.

:kiss:

Recidiva said:

YES! OH GOD YES!

Ahem.

I love bitter greens (okay, I love all greens). Frisee, endive, radicchio. Arugula makes my heart sing.

Before my local bakery sold out to the Man (fuckers), they made this sandwich. Smoked trout, dill creme fraiche, arugula on a baguette. It fucking pwned.

luxey313 said:
I am stuck on Saga Bleu and Carr's Cracked Pepper crackers

I go on Tzatziki binges. Make a huge vat of the stuff, buy 20 packages of pita, and live for a week in dipping glory.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cup of Greek yogurt (strained) 10% fat
2 medium-sized cucumbers
4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
olive oil
a little vinegar
salt
Skin the cucumbers and cut into thin strips with a vegetables grater; and then cut into small pieces. Drain and squeeze well and then salt. Add the crushed garlic, the vinegar, the yogurt and mix, finally adding the oil (a little oil at a time) and mixing. If you wish, you can garnish with olives. For a more garlicky taste, add more garlic.

Recidiva said:
My favorite soup is Tom Yam, also Thai. Lemon grass and lime leaves. Oh my.

Second favorite is hot and sour soup. I'll make that myself, it was easier when I was in San Francisco and could get "dried lily buds" and "tree ears" though. There's no place out here that makes it well, and I mourn my Chinese food.

Although a really good cuban sandwich from Florida locally is worth some of that trade. Pork and cheese, pickles and mustard on beautifully made bread in a sandwich press.

I have yet to find much better or easier than just country ribs in salt and pepper in the oven for an hour at 350. I'm not sure why almost anything can be made in the oven for an hour at 350, but I'm very grateful.

I totally forgot the kaffir lime leaves! That's in the Tom Kha, too. Only big difference between Thom Kha and Tom Yum is the latter is spicier and omits the coconut milk. Both are crazy delicious.

Cuban sanwiches! YES!

You can put an old shoe in the oven for an hour at 350, and it would taste good. Er, better. Er, okay, I'm overstating, but still.

Cleopatra said:
I'll make some mashed potatoes (with real butter, cream, and gravy) and ...whatever else you want (it's the mashed potatoes that I really crave) for you if I can try some gumbo.

:kiss:

Oh jesus, that sounds so tempting. I've been avoiding potatoes lately, so a good decadentcreamymashedpotatoessoundsohgodyesmorepleasemore!

Heh. :kiss:

Tatiana0706 said:
I love, love, LOVE to crush San Marzano tomatoes with my hands . . .
I agree . . . this is the only real way to do it.

I'm making a version of a bolognese tomorrow.

My recipe for whomever wants to play around with it, follows.

This sauce drives me crazy . . . crazy! I love the way the whole house smells while it's simmering.

Sauce pot on high heat
Brown one large onion
Brown one pound of ground beef
Remove three sausage (hot or sweet Italian) from casings and and slice three more into one inch pieces, brown with beef
Add hand-crushed tomatoes (enough so that meat is well covered)
Add six cloves of garlic (crushed and diced), lots of fresh basil, one stick of pepperoni cut into chunks (trust me), crushed dried red pepper (if you like it spicy . . . with hot sausage . . . if not leave it out), salt and pepper to taste, and a few tablespoons of extra vigin olive oil.
Wait until it boils, then lower to simmer.
Simmer for ten minutes, then add red wine (something rich and dark) to taste (but not too much . . . I suggest doing this in smaller quanities, letting it cook for a bit, then adding more if you desire).
Cook on medium/low heat for at least an hour.

This is just a guideline. If you like more beef, add more beef, and the same with the sausage. Experiment and make it your own.

The essense of the "foodgasm" to me isn't just the finished product . . . it's the process of getting there . . . of creating something that you know people will enjoy . . . of finding that perfect mix of ingredients . . .

I'm a sensualist.

tortoise said:
Oh jesus, that sounds so tempting. I've been avoiding potatoes lately, so a good decadentcreamymashedpotatoessoundsohgodyesmorepleasemore!

Heh. :kiss:

Roast potatoes: Dice up rustic, shake in a bag with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and rosemary. Roast in the oven for...(you guessed it! 350 degrees for one hour, check every 10 minutes for about done ness after an hour)

When just...about...done, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and roast for 10 more minutes until cheese is golden.

Mashed: Ricer! Put it all through the ricer! As much as you want. Sticks of butter and pints of cream to taste. (lots.)

rapscallion said:
Well, do we get the recipe???

Yes, yes you do.

Sketchy on the details, but I don't measure unless I have to. Trinity = good double handful of each. Roux = equal parts flour and oil (like 3/4 cup of each for a big batch, I guess?). Andouille = 1 lb, rustic chop. Seasonings to taste. Whole San Marzano tomatoes, hand crushed = 28 oz. can. Add broth until desired consistency (sometimes I go more soupish, sometimes more stewish). Add shrimp (2 lbs for a big batch) last.

Recidiva said:
Roast potatoes: Dice up rustic, shake in a bag with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and rosemary. Roast in the oven for...(you guessed it! 350 degrees for one hour, check every 10 minutes for about done ness after an hour)

When just...about...done, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and roast for 10 more minutes until cheese is golden.

Mashed: Ricer! Put it all through the ricer! As much as you want. Sticks of butter and pints of cream to taste. (lots.)

Yum! And yes, a ricer is key.

(And I was positive you were going to give me your "have you ever been through a hurricane and been without power for days? EAT THE FUCKING POTATOES!" speech)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back