Foodgasms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hester said:
in honor of this thread, i will fuck myself today with at least one food or food-related item.

Oh, I do :heart: you so! A foodgasm of a different stripe, but so, so delicious.

I know tortoise and I have done a thread or two on Paella, but I love the whole process of making one, from getting the saffron and treating it like gold, watching the rice change color, choosing the seafood and the chicken and preparing the dish through the course of a day, separating and chopping and cleaning each component that goes from broth to rice to stirring to cleaning sand from the clams. It's a dish that challenges a sense of organization, do you have the utensils, the space, everything in the right order?

Not as challenging as a stir fry with a hot wok when you have 30 seconds to chop 50 scallions, but much more liesurely, paella is forgiving and can absorb any number of culinary sins and turn them into virtues with enough saffron and care.

Recidiva said:
I know tortoise and I have done a thread or two on Paella, but I love the whole process of making one, from getting the saffron and treating it like gold, watching the rice change color, choosing the seafood and the chicken and preparing the dish through the course of a day, separating and chopping and cleaning each component that goes from broth to rice to stirring to cleaning sand from the clams. It's a dish that challenges a sense of organization, do you have the utensils, the space, everything in the right order?

Not as challenging as a stir fry with a hot wok when you have 30 seconds to chop 50 scallions, but much more liesurely, paella is forgiving and can absorb any number of culinary sins and turn them into virtues with enough saffron and care.
Mrs. Krav and I made this two weeks ago for a group of friends outside; we used fresh chorizo, clams, baby scallops, chicken and arborio rice for that nice bite, it was a group experience; eveyone sat around eating marinated olives, crusty bread and manchego cheese while drinking Mrs. Krav's sangria. Foodgasm x 20.

ForeverNAlways said:
A recipe for dinner and a movie to watch after ~ this thread is providing my evening plans.
Might I suggest:

a tricolore salad with a basil vinagraitte, fresh lump crabmeat and rock shrimp over angel hair pasta in a light tomato broth; a loaf of the best and crustiest thing batard you can find; followed by molten chocolate cakes; I can recommend some wines if you need them
:rose:

KravMaga said:
Mrs. Krav and I made this two weeks ago for a group of friends outside; we used fresh chorizo, clams, baby scallops, chicken and arborio rice for that nice bite, it was a group experience; eveyone sat around eating marinated olives, crusty bread and manchego cheese while drinking Mrs. Krav's sangria. Foodgasm x 20.

One of my favorite foodgasm moments wasn't mine, but my niece's. She was little, in a high chair. Didn't talk much, very stubborn.

For Thanksgiving I made clam chowder, got the Quahog clams, let them spit out the sand into fresh water for a few days, diced potatoes, salt pork cracklings, cream.

She wouldn't eat a thing and was really fussy. Until the soup. Her little face lit up and she said, for the first time not muttering for the entire time I'd known her. "THIS IS GOOD SOUP, MOM!" And that's pretty much what she said for the weekend. "GOOD SOUP, MOM!"

ForeverNAlways said:
Full recipe plz. Seriously. I'm now gonna have to make that.

I've never tried to make a true roux for a gumbo or jambalaya (here in La. it's rather intimidating to try, these people take their roux very seriously), but I have made a base for a dark gravy that seems to be a similar process (correct me if I'm wrong). I've always wanted to give it a shot. And I love gumbo.

For me, the best shrimp (or any other flavor) gumbo is the simplest possible: roux, trinity, cayenne, salt, a bit of andouille sausage (I totally forgot this in my first post, but this is always part of my mise en place as well), tomatoes, then add stock to desired thickness. I use either straight chicken stock (homemade if possible, low sodium canned/boxed if not) or a combination of chicken and shrimp stock (if I have sufficient peels saved to make the latter). If I don't have shrimp stock makings, sometimes I'll add bottled clam juice. Depending upon the tastes of my audience, I may or may not add okra. I like it okay, but many do not, and I can easily do without it. Cook until the vegetables are the desired doneness, THEN (and only then) add the raw peeled deveined shrimp. Cook until the shrimp just turn pink (I loathe overcooked rubbery shrimp), then serve over good long grain rice. I always have some filé on the table for people to add if they like (I like). Oh, and hot sauce goes on the table as well, of course.

Oh, and yes, a roux is in essence the same as a base for a dark gravy.

Recidiva said:
One of my favorite foodgasm moments wasn't mine, but my niece's. She was little, in a high chair. Didn't talk much, very stubborn.

For Thanksgiving I made clam chowder, got the Quahog clams, let them spit out the sand into fresh water for a few days, diced potatoes, salt pork cracklings, cream.

She wouldn't eat a thing and was really fussy. Until the soup. Her little face lit up and she said, for the first time not muttering for the entire time I'd known her. "THIS IS GOOD SOUP, MOM!" And that's pretty much what she said for the weekend. "GOOD SOUP, MOM!"

Hah! That is adorable.

tortoise said:
For me, the best shrimp (or any other flavor) gumbo is the simplest possible: roux, trinity, cayenne, salt, a bit of andouille sausage (I totally forgot this in my first post, but this is always part of my mise en place as well), tomatoes, then add stock to desired thickness. I use either straight chicken stock (homemade if possible, low sodium canned/boxed if not) or a combination of chicken and shrimp stock (if I have sufficient peels saved to make the latter). If I don't have shrimp stock makings, sometimes I'll add bottled clam juice. Depending upon the tastes of my audience, I may or may not add okra. I like it okay, but many do not, and I can easily do without it. Cook until the vegetables are the desired doneness, THEN (and only then) add the raw peeled deveined shrimp. Cook until the shrimp just turn pink (I loathe overcooked rubbery shrimp), then serve over good long grain rice. I always have some filé on the table for people to add if they like (I like). Oh, and hot sauce goes on the table as well, of course.

Oh, and yes, a roux is in essence the same as a base for a dark gravy.

I'm really picky with shrimp. Best way I know how to make them is put them in water that starts out boiling, and take them off the heat and just let them sit in that for five minutes.

Andouille sausage and whole chicken legs for my gumbo.

Rustic is as rustic does:
Rustic Roast Pig
Dig a pit 6'deep X 4'wide. Build a hot fire and burn it down, adding wood all day to make a nice thick bed of coals.Throw in a heavy wire grate or metamorphic rocks.
Get cleaned pig from butcher, lay on clean burlap and rub down with salt well. Stuff cavity with whole onions and carrots, apples.Sew up cavity.
truss feet with wire and pole pig to the pit.
Lower pig onto wire or rocks. Cover corrogated tin roofing, then cover pit and cook 12 to 16 hours.
Remove pig and pour wine over it. Serve with moonshine, wine and cold beer, outside.

KravMaga said:
Might I suggest:

a tricolore salad with a basil vinagraitte, fresh lump crabmeat and rock shrimp over angel hair pasta in a light tomato broth; a loaf of the best and crustiest thing batard you can find; followed by molten chocolate cakes; I can recommend some wines if you need them
:rose:

The force is strong in this one.

Hi there! Pleased to meet you!

tortoise said:
The force is strong in this one.

Hi there! Pleased to meet you!

Big fan, m'self!

Link to my favorite rice; I order it in the big bag;

Turducken anyone?

Recidiva said:
Curried Chicken Salad with Autumn Fruits: (Sarah Leah Chase, "Cold Weather Cooking"

Chicken breast poached in chicken broth, mixed in wiht strips of dried figs, dates and apricot, garlic, almonds, mango chutney and Aioli.

Okay, I want you now.

Er, to make that now, I meant. Yeah.

Seriously, it sounds so delicious. Such a perfect balance of different tastes and textures. I can literally taste it. Synaesthesia.

ForeverNAlways said:
Subscribes to thread. :rose:

New choices. This is actually a good thread for me. In the stress of my life lately, I've forgotten how much I really like food. I think I ate a total of 1000 calories last week, and now I'm wondering when I forgot how completely healing and theraputic good food can be.

*wide smile*

Your words move me. Thank you.

tortoise said:
Okay, I want you now.

Er, to make that now, I meant. Yeah.

Seriously, it sounds so delicious. Such a perfect balance of different tastes and textures. I can literally taste it. Synaesthesia.

At my Grandmother's 90th birthday we made enough of it to feed 80 people. That's a hell of a lot of chicken breast and shredded fruits. Worth every ounce of effort.

I also made one of my favorites, jiaozi (pot stickers, peking dumplings)

Ground pork marinated in soy sauce, scallion, ginger, sesame oil.

Hand-rolled thin pasta skins of flour and water and a little salt.

Trick is to fry the bottom golden and then steam the top of the dumpling without burning or mushing them. Pan must be completely cleaned between each batch, fry in peanut oil and flash steam.

Dipping sauce of soy sauce, red pepper chili flakes, garlic and scallions.

Adakgirl said:
Rustic is as rustic does:
Rustic Roast Pig
Dig a pit 6'deep X 4'wide. Build a hot fire and burn it down, adding wood all day to make a nice thick bed of coals.Throw in a heavy wire grate or metamorphic rocks.
Get cleaned pig from butcher, lay on clean burlap and rub down with salt well. Stuff cavity with whole onions and carrots, apples.Sew up cavity.
truss feet with wire and pole pig to the pit.
Lower pig onto wire or rocks. Cover corrogated tin roofing, then cover pit and cook 12 to 16 hours.
Remove pig and pour wine over it. Serve with moonshine, wine and cold beer, outside.

Very, very cool. I've always wanted to do my own luau.

Also, it reminds me of Tom Waits, which is always a good thing:

Well I hung on to marys stump
I danced with a soldiers glee
With a rum soaked crook
And a big fat laugh
I spent my last dollar on thee
I saw bill bones, gave him a yell
Kehoe spiked the nog
With a chain link fence
And a scrap iron jaw
Cookin up a filipino box spring hog
Spider rolled in from
Hollister burn
With a one-eyed stolen mare
Donned himself with chicken fat
Sawin on a jaw bone violin there
Kathleen was sittin down
In little reds recovery room
In her criminal underwear bra
I was naked to the waist
With my fierce black hound
And Im cookin up a filipino box spring hog

Dig a big pit in a dirt alley road
Fill it with madrone and bay
Stinks like hell
And the neighbors complain
Dont give a hoot what they say
Slap that hog
Gotta roll em over twice
Baste him with a sweeping broom
You gotta swat them flies
And chain up the dogs

Rattle snake piccata with grapes and figs
Old brown betty with a yellow wig
Taint the mince meat filagree
And it aint the turkey neck stew
And it aint them bruleed
Okra seeds though she
Made them especially for you
Worse won a prize for her
Bottom black pie
The beans got to thrown to the dogs
Jaheseus christ I can always
Make room when theyre

Recidiva said:
At my Grandmother's 90th birthday we made enough of it to feed 80 people. That's a hell of a lot of chicken breast and shredded fruits. Worth every ounce of effort.

I know whereof you speak. I've made chicken salad for huge parties as well, but of a somewhat more tradtional bent: poached chicken, red seedless grapes, walnuts, celery, mayo. Poached two whole Costco-sized packages of Foster Farms breasts.

I also made one of my favorites, jiaozi (pot stickers, peking dumplings)

Ground pork marinated in soy sauce, scallion, ginger, sesame oil.

Hand-rolled thin pasta skins of flour and water and a little salt.

Trick is to fry the bottom golden and then steam the top of the dumpling without burning or mushing them. Pan must be completely cleaned between each batch, fry in peanut oil and flash steam.

Dipping sauce of soy sauce, red pepper chili flakes, garlic and scallions.

Oh yes! I love making potstickers! Another texturegasm, soft and crispychewy. I sometimes do a variety of dipping sauces, mix of sweet and savory.

Foodgasms we go out for:

Dan Marino's:

The Almond Basket
Our most popular dessert. Baked almond brittle folded into a basket, filled with raspberry sorbet & fresh seasonal berries.

Hawks Landing Steakhouse:

His: Perfect aged steak in steak butter that's magic. (no, there's something in it called Marvin's Magic Seasoning, they won't tell us what, but we suspect worcestershire sauce and Lawry's seasoned salt)

Me: Lamb! Lamb! Lamb! Somebody makes lamb! Yaaaay!

Best scalloped potatoes ever, in a crock, paper thin sliced, layered with cream and cheese.

Hester said:
i hope you plan on going commando under the grass skirt.

Au naturel, naturally. Like I would pass up the opportunity to have feathery strands tickling my junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back