Tihmmnmmish's Cuddle-Friendly Fireside Threadcast

light snowfall today and there's snow on the mountains, coming lower and closer by the day, but we get to get the woodstove going. Chop wood, let the beard grow out, start feeling for poetics and phrases to play around with.

We have a propane fireplace in the new home. Cost almost four hundred bucks to fill the tank but it should last through the winter. It's in the fifties here and the trees on the mountain behind my house are getting pretty bare. I love sitting at the kitchen table writing because I can see that mountain out the back door.

Hey I'm allowed to post here. I finished my NaNoWriMo requirement for the day (1690 words so far). It was easier than I thought though god knows it'll need editing um next month. :D

We have a propane fireplace in the new home. Cost almost four hundred bucks to fill the tank but it should last through the winter. It's in the fifties here and the trees on the mountain behind my house are getting pretty bare. I love sitting at the kitchen table writing because I can see that mountain out the back door.

Hey I'm allowed to post here. I finished my NaNoWriMo requirement for the day (1690 words so far). It was easier than I thought though god knows it'll need editing um next month. :D

Hey you don't have to explain yourself to me: of course you can post here. You don't even need a reason. :D Reason-free den here.

edit next month? and the next month and the next and rewrite and rewrite - but worry about that then. Just worry about word count and forbid the inner he or she who second-guesses. Send he or she on a month-long errand.

we got clear blue deep sky, bright sunshine down on the ground, and mint white snow on the mountains which I see as I type.

Hey you don't have to explain yourself to me: of course you can post here. You don't even need a reason. :D Reason-free den here.

edit next month? and the next month and the next and rewrite and rewrite - but worry about that then. Just worry about word count and forbid the inner he or she who second-guesses. Send he or she on a month-long errand.

we got clear blue deep sky, bright sunshine down on the ground, and mint white snow on the mountains which I see as I type.

We should take pictures and be able to see each other's mountains. Are you looking at the Cascades or a different range? We have a big hickory tree hanging over our back deck--and it's a miracle neither of us got clonked by a hickory nut when they all came down over the past few months. I can't really see the mountain clearly enough to show in a photo until the leaves are down. They mostly are now though so maybe I'll try a pic later.

I know this is a reason-free thread, which is why I'm here and want it to be a neverending thread. But mainly I wanted to shoutout that I did my first day's quota. You probably knew that. :D

Here's a question for you or anyone who has a suggestion. If you were a guy in 1966 (a teenaged guy) what would be a popular used car to be your first car? Like something you worked on to soup up a little. It can't be a Mustang because a stolen Mustang is part of the story. A Studebaker? An Olds? Maybe a Ford Fairlane?

We should take pictures and be able to see each other's mountains. Are you looking at the Cascades or a different range? We have a big hickory tree hanging over our back deck--and it's a miracle neither of us got clonked by a hickory nut when they all came down over the past few months. I can't really see the mountain clearly enough to show in a photo until the leaves are down. They mostly are now though so maybe I'll try a pic later.

I know this is a reason-free thread, which is why I'm here and want it to be a neverending thread. But mainly I wanted to shoutout that I did my first day's quota. You probably knew that. :D

Here's a question for you or anyone who has a suggestion. If you were a guy in 1966 (a teenaged guy) what would be a popular used car to be your first car? Like something you worked on to soup up a little. It can't be a Mustang because a stolen Mustang is part of the story. A Studebaker? An Olds? Maybe a Ford Fairlane?

The penultimate is probably a 32 Ford coupe or 55,56,57 Chevy. The ford would be a huge endeavor. The Chevy, not so much. Reality is probably what ever you could get cheap. Whatever a guy could get for $50 or $100. Even that was a lot when you could get a new car for $2000.

The penultimate is probably a 32 Ford coupe or 55,56,57 Chevy. The ford would be a huge endeavor. The Chevy, not so much. Reality is probably what ever you could get cheap. Whatever a guy could get for $50 or $100. Even that was a lot when you could get a new car for $2000.

Well I didn't want to name anyone who was a teenager in the 60s, like er myself. The late sixties!

I was thinking a 57 Chevy after I did a little research. A Chevy Bel-Air hardtop. I think they were a little over $1000 new. Now the cheapest I saw for one is 11 grand. Eep.

Thank you M. :rose:

well I was never much of a car guy, and I'm just a tad too young to know about being a teenager then - but my folks did have a Studebaker - great word, and great family car, but I wouldn't see it as a souper-upper for a teenager.

But I don't think there's too many people who wouldn't see a clear mental picture of a '57 Chevy. Even a guy like me who was never much of a car guy knew what a '57 Chevy was.

Or maybe some kind of coupe.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I was never much of a car guy, and I'm just a tad too young to know about being a teenager then - but my folks did have a Studebaker - great word, and great family car, but I wouldn't see it as a souper-upper for a teenager.

But I don't think there's too many people who wouldn't see a clear mental picture of a '57 Chevy. Even a guy like me who was never much of a car guy knew what a '57 Chevy was.

Or maybe some kind of coupe.

Yeah that was my thought after doing a little reading on it, that most people could picture it. The story starts in 1966 so for this character to have a 57 Chevy is very plausible to me. I'm thnking he bought it from an uncle or some such for a few hundred.

Yeah that was my thought after doing a little reading on it, that most people could picture it. The story starts in 1966 so for this character to have a 57 Chevy is very plausible to me. I'm thnking he bought it from an uncle or some such for a few hundred.

probably a lot of guys who'd identify with that

probably a lot of guys who'd identify with that

We'll see. I'm trying not to obsess at ee too much about what I'm writing so I don't know what he thinks. Anyway he was a teenager in suburban San Francisco, and I'm not sure his opinions represent the normal teenaged guy. Actually I'm sure they don't represent a normal anything lol.

Well I didn't want to name anyone who was a teenager in the 60s, like er myself. The late sixties!

I was thinking a 57 Chevy after I did a little research. A Chevy Bel-Air hardtop. I think they were a little over $1000 new. Now the cheapest I saw for one is 11 grand. Eep.

Thank you M. :rose:

:D

The irony is I have a 66 Mustang in my Garage.

:D

The irony is I have a 66 Mustang in my Garage.

Really? Do you work on it? The Mustang in my story is a 66. And the first section of the draft is titled "Bought You a Brand New Mustang."

There is no character named Sally. :D

Really? Do you work on it? The Mustang in my story is a 66. And the first section of the draft is titled "Bought You a Brand New Mustang."

There is no character named Sally. :D

Have worked on it. Will work on it again. Needs wheels and tires. We want to put in a five-speed manual. It was a ground up rebuild. Blue of course.

Have worked on it. Will work on it again. Needs wheels and tires. We want to put in a five-speed manual. It was a ground up rebuild. Blue of course.

Remember the poem I wrote for you about the pickup truck? I lost it when I lost the disk it was on--don't suppose you have a copy?

So one of my main characters is a lot like you, sounds like. But bad things happen to him. I'll apologize now. :p

Remember the poem I wrote for you about the pickup truck? I lost it when I lost the disk it was on--don't suppose you have a copy?

So one of my main characters is a lot like you, sounds like. But bad things happen to him. I'll apologize now. :p

I'm going to call disposa girl and have a chat with her about that.

I think someone's been cribbing from Thomas Mann.

Good taste, there. Few people better to crib from.

Aren't you supposed to be churning out 1700 words today?

I wrote 1,972 words today. On the story, not here! :D

I'm good to go for about two weeks, but I'll need to finish my outline before then to keep going. If I have a general idea of the scenes I want to write I don't think it'll be too hard. I'm pretty good at blah blah as you have undoubtedly observed. I still have a few plot twists to work out. I've decided to try to write in the morning and work on the outline later in the day.

I never was one to get too worked up over cars.
Mosty a way of getting from point A to B.
My son, however, is quite interested in cars, particularly the integration of mechanical and electronic.

writes out a hundred times
I must not make shirty comments (even though he started it) to new members who don't want my critique anyway, but only to be told how good they are

They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.

They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.

When You are Old
WB Yeats

WHEN you are old and gray and full of sleep
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead,
And hid his face amid a crowd of stars.

Back