What went wrong?

I recently published Part 2 of my series, and I'm not sure what went wrong. Part 1 was well received and seemed to resonate with readers, despite its length, but Part 2, a shorter part, does not appear to be gaining traction. Part 1 is still receiving likes, but no one is returning to read Part 2.

This is my first time publishing on this site, and I want to write more in this series, so I'd like to fix my mistakes and figure out where I went wrong in writing Part 2 and why people don't seem to want to read it despite expressing their enjoyment of the first part.

Any constructive criticism and helpful feedback would be truly appreciated!

https://literotica.com/s/teenage-fantasy-1
https://literotica.com/s/teenage-fantasy-ch-02

It is actually quite normal. When you are writing series, most people just 'favorite' the first chapter, instead of doing it for every next chapter as well. Your chapter 2 should also have considerably less views, as many readers click on first chapter to see what kind of story it is, and if they find the story doesn't suit them, they don't even try the next chapters. Your ratings seem consistent, so I'd say nothing went wrong. It is all quite normal ;)

There are terrific stories on this site languishing in obscurity. Don't let traction, ratings, engagement, etc., dictate how you feel about your work. Yes, I check my ratings every single time I log in. Sometimes I log in just to check my ratings. And this absolutely dictates how I feel about my work. But do as I say, not as I do.

It is actually quite normal. When you are writing series, most people just 'favorite' the first chapter, instead of doing it for every next chapter as well. Your chapter 2 should also have considerably less views, as many readers click on first chapter to see what kind of story it is, and if they find the story doesn't suit them, they don't even try the next chapters. Your ratings seem consistent, so I'd say nothing went wrong. It is all quite normal ;)
Thank you! I was wondering why the likes weren't transferring over, so thank you for clarifying that. I had considered that, with it being a chapter story, my views would go down, but the drop seemed very drastic. I just want to make sure that my writing holds up over time. I want readers to be engaged with the characters and plot line.

There are terrific stories on this site languishing in obscurity. Don't let traction, ratings, engagement, etc., dictate how you feel about your work. Yes, I check my ratings every single time I log in. Sometimes I log in just to check my ratings. And this absolutely dictates how I feel about my work. But do as I say, not as I do.
Haha! Exactly! Sometimes I think I'm going a bit crazy, so I'm glad I'm not the only one! I love the story and characters, which is why I will continue with it, but I'd definitely hoped for a bit more traction.

I recently published Part 2 of my series, and I'm not sure what went wrong. Part 1 was well received and seemed to resonate with readers, despite its length, but Part 2, a shorter part, does not appear to be gaining traction. Part 1 is still receiving likes, but no one is returning to read Part 2.

This is my first time publishing on this site, and I want to write more in this series, so I'd like to fix my mistakes and figure out where I went wrong in writing Part 2 and why people don't seem to want to read it despite expressing their enjoyment of the first part.

I've only written one six-part story, and the views drop off on mine at about 40-60% on each successive part. But the scores often improve slightly on each. I'm close to finishing two separate part 02's on my most recent stories, and expect a similar reaction.(edit): actually my estimate was a little harsh, the average drop off is 26%, but two of the drop-off's, between part 01 and 02, and 02 and 03 were both 47%.

Last edited:
That's actually a very strong response to two very long chapters. The drop in views is typical; your scores are high, you're getting comments.

It's strange how readers respond to stories, but from your scores alone, you've done nothing wrong at all. I'm not going to go read 80k words about teenagers though, so I can't comment on your writing.

I've only written one six-part story, and the views drop off on mine at about 40-60% on each successive part. But the scores often improve slightly on each. I'm close to finishing two separate part 02's on my most recent stories, and expect a similar reaction.(edit): actually my estimate was a little harsh, the average drop off is 26%, but two of the drop-off's, between part 01 and 02, and 02 and 03 were both 47%.
Thank you for that insight! I do have time between each publication, which I heard can be a disadvantage. Your series stories do decrease in views, but you are correct about the ratings increasing over time. I believe you have narrowed in on your target audience. That does add perspective. Best wishes for the next installments of your stories!

That's actually a very strong response to two very long chapters. The drop in views is typical; your scores are high, you're getting comments.

It's strange how readers respond to stories, but from your scores alone, you've done nothing wrong at all. I'm not going to go read 80k words about teenagers though, so I can't comment on your writing.
Thank you for responding! I completely understand that is a tall order, but I appreciate your point of view. I think I'm overthinking things.

Thank you for responding! I completely understand that is a tall order, but I appreciate your point of view. I think I'm overthinking things.
The real test will be chapter three, because at that point you've got yourself a fair sized novel. If you hold those chapter two reader numbers, you've done well.

My rule of thumb, based on 100 plus stories/chapters since 2014, is that maybe 15% - 20% of Chapter One views will translate to "I finished your story" reads.

You were ambitious, writing such long pieces straight off, but from what I can see from your numbers, it's paid off.

The real test will be chapter three, because at that point you've got yourself a fair sized novel. If you hold those chapter two reader numbers, you've done well.

My rule of thumb, based on 100 plus stories/chapters since 2014, is that maybe 15% - 20% of Chapter One views will translate to "I finished your story" reads.

You were ambitious, writing such long pieces straight off, but from what I can see from your numbers, it's paid off.
I'm grateful. You do have a successful and lengthy publishing history on your page. I'll keep your advice in mind as I upload more parts. I'm hoping that reader disengagement after Part 3 won't make it difficult to complete the series because it will serve as a "bridge" so I can properly conclude it. But, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

My lifetime decisions fetish stories have got fewer and fewer readers and even less votes.
I will publish the last two sections in the coming week or so. But as the sections have been published, the reading numbers have continuously decreased, as peeps avoid them!

I'm grateful. You do have a successful and lengthy publishing history on your page. I'll keep your advice in mind as I upload more parts. I'm hoping that reader disengagement after Part 3 won't make it difficult to complete the series because it will serve as a "bridge" so I can properly conclude it. But, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Don't let reader reactions stop or start you. Clearly, something that long is a labour of love, so once started, must be finished, you know? Otherwise, how will you ever get to your twenties?

My long Arthurian myth novel (104k words) took a year to write, was read by a thousand people within the first three or four months. It's now had three times that number read the last chapter - not a huge number compared to stories in other categories, but they're the readers I want, not the quick consumers who treat your stories as fodder.

Usually I would say, start with a dozen or so shorter pieces, learn your chops and style as a writer, but you've cut straight to the chase. Cudos for that - I only hope for your sake that you haven't entrenched a set of bad habits, coz they'll take forever to get rid of!

My lifetime decisions fetish stories have got fewer and fewer readers and even less votes.
I will publish the last two sections in the coming week or so. But as the sections have been published, the reading numbers have continuously decreased, as peeps avoid them!
Do you believe that those who are reading your series are still responding positively, despite the fact that the number of viewers has decreased?

Don't let reader reactions stop or start you. Clearly, something that long is a labour of love, so once started, must be finished, you know? Otherwise, how will you ever get to your twenties?

My long Arthurian myth novel (104k words) took a year to write, was read by a thousand people within the first three or four months. It's now had three times that number read the last chapter - not a huge number compared to stories in other categories, but they're the readers I want, not the quick consumers who treat your stories as fodder.

Usually I would say, start with a dozen or so shorter pieces, learn your chops and style as a writer, but you've cut straight to the chase. Cudos for that - I only hope for your sake that you haven't entrenched a set of bad habits, coz they'll take forever to get rid of!
Thank you very much. By obsessing over statistics, I've obscured the fact that I adore my stories and the characters who inhabit them. I will definitely finish my story in a way that does it justice, regardless of views or ratings, because I am very proud of it.
I appreciate you sharing your experiences as a senior author on this site. It has truly aided in providing perspective and insight into the process. I wish you luck with all future installments! I'm confident they'll be fantastic.

Do you believe that those who are reading your series are still responding positively, despite the fact that the number of viewers has decreased?
In this case, readership votes and favourites have all dropped off.

It is quite a difficult topic to enjoy for many.

I am not concerned :)

Your drop off could be related to the fact that there’s no link to the second part at the end of the first story. I seem to be having the same issue, despite the fact that the stories are marked as a series. At least your first chapter is showing that you have 2 stories. My chapter 1 isn’t even showing multiple stories under my name.

Your drop off could be related to the fact that there’s no link to the second part at the end of the first story. I seem to be having the same issue, despite the fact that the stories are marked as a series. At least your first chapter is showing that you have 2 stories. My chapter 1 isn’t even showing multiple stories under my name.
That is something I have noticed as well! I wasn't sure if it was just not showing up on my end. Thank you for saying something. For both of our sake, I hope it appears soon!

In this case, readership votes and favourites have all dropped off.

It is quite a difficult topic to enjoy for many.

I am not concerned :)
It's easy to get caught up in statistics. What matters is that you put time and effort into your work! You and ElectricBlue66 really helped remind me of that!

That is something I have noticed as well! I wasn't sure if it was just not showing up on my end. Thank you for saying something. For both of our sake, I hope it appears soon!
The series build/join together algorithm sometimes takes a day or two to run, but should join the chapters together eventually.

If it doesn't, do it manually by going into the Series drop-down menu on the left of your CO, start a new series, then add in the two chapters manually. That should do what the automatic thing is meant to do - but wait another 24 hours first, I reckon.

With all due respect, I knew the answer before hand because I've seen this so many times before: nothing went wrong! The second part has a score of 4.84 and a red H. That is a very strong start. I've been here for over four years and I've never had a score that high, although I have a few red H's. The readers obviously love it. Just keep doing what you're doing.

The series build/join together algorithm sometimes takes a day or two to run, but should join the chapters together eventually.

If it doesn't, do it manually by going into the Series drop-down menu on the left of your CO, start a new series, then add in the two chapters manually. That should do what the automatic thing is meant to do - but wait another 24 hours first, I reckon.
Thank you! I added it manually to the series on the day it was published. It appears as a series in both my "Works" panel and on the app. I think I just need to wait for the site to link the stories. Thankfully, I only have 2 stories published, so it isn't too difficult to find Part 2.

With all due respect, I knew the answer before hand because I've seen this so many times before: nothing went wrong! The second part has a score of 4.84 and a red H. That is a very strong start. I've been here for over four years and I've never had a score that high, although I have a few red H's. The readers obviously love it. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Thank you! I think I was too in-my-head regarding the number of readers. I appreciate your comment and will continue writing. Best of luck on your publications as well!

Back