What kind of genres have you written in ON LIT?

AG31

Literotica Guru
A thread called What genres have you written in? was recently posted here, but it was focused on non-Lit writing. I've satisfied myself that it wouldn't be redundant to post the same question for Lit writing, that an identical thread isn't lurking out there. I kept the word "genres" and didn't substitute "categories," to encourage a more nuanced approach to describing the kind of writing you do here.

I'd love to know why you write in each area, whether it's to explore something in your own psyche or whether it's to exercise your skills as a writer or whatever.

I'll go first.

I've written mostly BDSM, with two EC and two GM. I would rather have put one of the GM in EC and the other in BDSM, but it felt like GM trumps all here.

The thing that unites these kinds of writing for me is the focus on male MCs. I really like men's bodies.

None of the BDSM reflect anything about my real life. It's a well walled off part of my brain. But a rewarding one.

The reason I write mostly in BDSM is that I've had such fantasies my whole life, since before latency, with the expected pause at that time. I remember mourning the loss of my fantasies. I wanted to preserve the fantasies in as accurate a way as I could.

Last edited:
I think you're asking what categories people have written in? I believe the other thread was inclusive of stories of Lit, but asked people to categorize them using traditional publishing genres rather than Lit categories. So if you wrote a detective story in LW you'd call that a detective story rather than an LW story, for the purposes of that other thread.

I think you're asking what categories people have written in? I believe the other thread was inclusive of stories of Lit, but asked people to categorize them using traditional publishing genres rather than Lit categories. So if you wrote a detective story in LW you'd call that a detective story rather than an LW story, for the purposes of that other thread.
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Emily

They know this; they just wanted to make a separate one for Lit categories too.

I have written in the following categories here for the following reasons-

Celebrity/Fanfic- I was inspired to write out fantasies about certain celebrities, games, and tv shows and thought others might be entertained by what I wrote. Some people were. ;)

Erotic Couplings, Fetish, Group Sex, Lesbian, Toys & Masturbation, Romance, Sci Fi & Fantasy, Exhibition/Voyeur, First Time, Incest/Taboo- same reasons as above, but I used my own original fantasies for my stories here. I chose the category I thought fit each story best based on the plots.

How To- I intended to take a long break from writing, concentrate on a relationship that has since ended. I wanted to leave advice to my peers.

Loving Wives & Erotic Horror- to see if I could get positive attention by writing something in these challenging categories. I succeeded somewhat, but don’t think I’d write in either category again. The trolls of LW upset me with their inability to recognize the merits of my work and I don’t have another Horror idea in me. The first was disturbing enough to my psyche. I suppose that’s what happens when you use a sociopathic villain protagonist with no redeeming qualities. May my readers never think her otherwise. :(

Considering plots for Nonhuman, Gay Male, and Novels & Novellas in the future, but not sure when I’ll be able to get them out. They’d still have to clear the site’s evaluation process too.

Last edited:
I've only written in three categories here on Lit. One story for each of 'em.

My first ever was Erotic Couplings. That was a case of writing a story then fitting it into a category, not choosing a category in which to write a story. It was a cheating tale, but about a long-term relationship rather than a marriage, so I put there rather than in LW (and to be honest, I probably dodged a bullet).

The second was in I/T. It was purely about sex, nothing too much more to the characters or themes (though I couldn't resist building a skeleton to justify the sex). I chose I/T because that taboo is exciting. Ask Sigmund, I don't know why.

My most recent was only 2k words. It was a short vignette in Romance, with barely any sex. I wrote it over an afternoon, and it's more just me having fun with language than it is me writing a super sophisticated story. I found a short love story (and therefore Romance) to be the best way to achieve that goal.

Going forward, I'd expect myself to stay fairly vanilla (that is in the sexual acts themselves). I've never had any exotic fetishes/kinks or any interest in hard BDSM. So probably Romance, EC, I/T, maybe some Fantasy.

11 in Lesbian Sex (really 3 long stories and one 750 word sequel to one of those)
1 in Non-Erotic
I've also written one review and one sort of review/autobiographical musing under Reviews /Essays

1 in How To - Moved information from Bio page to a document because I ran out of room. Explains what order to read the 'Virginiaverse' stories I wrote since they weren't written in chronological order (and are still on-going).

1 in Non-Erotic - ended the main arc of the 'Virginiaverse' with a what-if scenario that didn't involve any explicit sex.

5 in I/T - Based in the 'Virginiaverse' but with an entire new set characters. While all of the sex is lesbian sex, incest was involved.

34 in Lesbian Sex - All but one are set in the 'Virginiaverse' including several stories that involve characters that are one degree separated from the characters in the main arc of stories revolving around Virginia. One story was written as a fantasy for another author on Lit and is the only story not in the 'Virginiaverse.'

I've published 61 stories at Literotica in 14 different categories. My breakdown is:
27 Incest/Taboo
14 Exhibitionist/Voyeur
4 Mature
3 Loving Wives
2 Anal
2 Erotic Horror
2 Group Sex
1 Humor
1 Letters
1 BDSM
1 Celebrity/Fan fiction
1 Sci Fi
1 Toys
1 Erotic Couplings

My erotic interests are wide-ranging, so I write many different kinds of stories, but there are recurring themes:

1. Exhibitionism and voyeurism -- these themes pop up over and over, even in stories that are placed in other categories. I've always enjoyed reading these stories, so when I started writing it was natural to want to write them.
2. Older woman/younger man --Pops up in both incest, where mom-son is my favorite, and mature. This one puzzles me because it doesn't in any way match my "real world" life or fantasies. I find the dynamic fun to write about, however, and the stories are popular and get a lot of reader reaction.
3. Hot/exhibitionist wives and mature women. One of my favorites fantasies and story themes. This one also pops up on multiple categories.
4. Dominance and submission. A favorite fantasy and theme. This one shows up in multiple categories as well. For me, it's almost always male dom/female sub.
5. Fetishism. In my real life I'm not a big fetishist, but I enjoy exploring it in writing, so it shows up as a theme across multiple categories, too.
6. Humor. I think eroticism can be fun and funny and doesn't have to be serious, so some of my stories can be light-hearted or even silly, or satirical.
7. Fantasy/make believe. Sometimes I just like to go in a weird, unexpected direction, as with Penis Fish.
8. Personal liberation v. social repression. This theme recurs, too. It's about as political as I've been in my erotica.

Oh. I guess you're right, given Emily's reply below.

They know this; they just wanted to make a separate one for Lit categories too.
Then why not user “categories” in the thread title instead of “genres” 🙄?

I give up - it wasn’t a complicated idea I was asking about. No idea why it became so confused.

Back to writing, at least that makes more sense (to me anyway).

Emily

A thread called What genres have you written in? was recently posted here, but it was focused on non-Lit writing.
No it wasn’t. It wasn’t whatsoever. It was asking into which genres (not categories) your work (either Lit or not Lit - I only write here, so just Lit for me) falls into. At no point did I say I was asking about non-Lit writing. I only said that I wasn’t talking about Lit categories.

E.g. you could have a Gay Male story which is also a Police Procedural. You could have an Erotic Coupling story that was also a Coming of Age tale.

I so wish I hadn’t bothered.

Emily

I have published 5 stories so far. All have been interracial but 2 could have crossed over with group.

I am also working on a story that will fit in either erotic coupling or loving wives.

Novels and Novellas
BDSM
Non-Human
Romance
Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Voice (I wrote the script for a reader)

That's 23 stories across six categories. Most of my works involve BDSM, non-con/dub-con, and romance regardless of what category they are actually lumped into. Subject matter has varied. I've written Science Fiction, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Slice of Life, a very short humorous story, a Detective Story, and a Bodice Ripper.

Last edited:
As sr71plt, I wrote in 21 categories at Lit. I've written more than that across my accounts now, but I compartmentalized them by category after moving on from the sr71plt account.

Genres? Out of 57 submissions, all but four are SF/F. In that bracket, I've written Space Operas, D&D inspired High Fantasy, several excursions into Sword'n'Sorcery, Urban Fantasy and Cyberpunk. I love world-building, I love making cool characters and have them fuck from time to time. :)

I've written what is basically an action movie in novella format with Zeb Carter ("The Big Catch") and an autobiographical piece ("Dramatic License"). My least-read and commented on story is "The Making Of 'A Little Heresy'", a story in the stylings of H.P. Lovecraft. Or at least that was my idea. To call the response to that "tepid" would be an understatement.

Then there was that time I tried an I/T story as an exercise and I still get angry messages asking me why I was stupid and stopped fucking my aunt - dudes, the story is as much a fairy tale as all the sword-swingery and dragon-murder in my other tales!

Kinks though? I did vanilla, group sex, tentacles, a lot of futa recently, monster girl(s), aliens, lesbian and GM. I'm told my sex scenes veer often into the awkward, which I take as a compliment. :)

Back