What I Wrote and Why: the support thread

I have a feeling I may have given Laurel the idea for this. I was telling her of my adventures in writing a months ago when I did the 25th Anniversary support thread and I mentioned that I was going to write about it. I posted a humorous look at me and Lit in Lit Happens. This time I'll do it straight.

Some confirmation about the technicalities and formalities, as approved by Laurel:

- Write a WIWAW about some aspect of writing a story - new or old - or a recurring element in several stories.
- Make sure it meets the usual requirements, standards and guidelines for publication on Lit.
- Link to the story or stories your WIWAW is about.
- Submit it for publication in Reviews & Essays.
- Include the note "WIWAW 2024".

Some confirmation about the technicalities and formalities, as approved by Laurel:

- Write a WIWAW about some aspect of writing a story - new or old - or a recurring element in several stories.
- Make sure it meets the usual requirements, standards and guidelines for publication on Lit.
- Link to the story or stories your WIWAW is about.
- Submit it for publication in Reviews & Essays.
- Include the note "WIWAW 2024".
Awesome, you should consider editing the first entry in this thread to include this information. That way a writer considering participating in the event won't have to go searching for it

I know why I write what I write, and I also know how I write the way I write. (Yay! A tongue twister for teaching English in elementary schools!)
But most of all I know why I do NOT write what I do NOT write, that is, I know why I do NOT want to read what I do NOT want to read. Without arrogating to myself the right to stop thousands of others from writing what they wish to write...they will continue in the groove laid by trends and stereotypical clichés...but I know what I do NOT want to write.
However... on this occasion I will endeavor to write only in a "positive and constructive" manner , without including the Pars Destruens.

I might use a story that no one can figure out why I wrote because all three of the characters are unlikeable and impossible to side with. Simply put I went with the bleak view of people are shitty and here's three of them with some hot sex mixed in.

People can't understand why I would put serious effort into something I knew few would like, but its because its what I wanted, and an example of the 'write for me"

And when you dare to give them something different, oh, boy....
Roger that! Occasionally I'll toss in some lesbian fun and a couple will freak. I'm going to have to take some drastic measures for a few stories I have on the drawing board

I have been writing 'My Literotica Journey' charting from when I was an Anon reader through to the present day. I presume that doesn't meet the criteria. If someone can confirm then I could publish now and save it growing as it charts the next three months of writing and woes, only to be bumped in July!

I have been writing 'My Literotica Journey' charting from when I was an Anon reader through to the present day. I presume that doesn't meet the criteria. If someone can confirm then I could publish now and save it growing as it charts the next three months of writing and woes, only to be bumped in July!
There have been all kinds of WIWAWs, ranging from an explanation of stylistic choices to a discussion of what a writer was trying to achieve to their formative experiences to a breakdown of the thought processes behind story elements. I don't see why yours doesn't fit.

Remember, we've never done this before, as far as I can tell, so the more perspectives we get the more likely it is that readers will get on board with the idea.

There have been all kinds of WIWAWs, ranging from an explanation of stylistic choices to a discussion of what a writer was trying to achieve to their formative experiences to a breakdown of the thought processes behind story elements. I don't see why yours doesn't fit.

Remember, we've never done this before, as far as I can tell, so the more perspectives we get the more likely it is that readers will get on board with the idea.
Thanks StillStunned. OK... I'll keep logging my journey until mid July. My hope is that it might inspire other potential new authors to venture into the fray and not be put off if their first story is flamed!

I know I helped start this thing, but I don’t think I’ll be contributing to it now. Honestly, does anyone care about my work enough to want to know this stuff? Besides me, who already does? Maybe I’ve been in the game too long. :(

I know I helped start this thing, but I don’t think I’ll be contributing to it now. Honestly, does anyone care about my work enough to want to know this stuff? Besides me, who already does? Maybe I’ve been in the game too long. :(
Laurel seems to think readers will be interested. And don't forget, you're so familiar with your process that you can't imagine it being exciting, but for many readers it will be entirely new.

Personally, I'd love to see more posts by authors discussing their writing techniques, their chosen imagery and the conscious and unconscious decisions they make while forming sentences and paragraphs.

Personally, I'd love to see more posts by authors discussing their writing techniques, their chosen imagery and the conscious and unconscious decisions they make while forming sentences and paragraphs.
We/they can't write about the unconscious decisions, because the word says it all.

I can't write about my conscious decisions either, because I don't have the literary analytical chops to know what I do, what my techniques are. On occasion I've asked my editor, who is an English teacher with far more theoretical knowledge than I, to tell me what techniques I use, to decompose my content. I find that fascinating, because I don't have a clue.

I never think, "Oh, I'll use that technique because that's what the story needs right now." I just get on and write, fiddle a bit when stuff doesn't read right, and publish. And get comments like this:
This is the most erotic, sexy and sensual series I have read. Absolutely fantastic. I will now be searching more of your stories. I do so hope you have similar... but... will you beat this series? NEVER! Love it. Thank you.

Forgive me... I have had some fantastic wanks reading these... thank you again

Nothing to forgive! Job done, I reckon.

We/they can't write about the unconscious decisions, because the word says it all.
You never look back at what you've written and thought, "Wow, I love that piece of imagery!" or "Hey, I hadn't realised I was using all those sibilants in that piece of dialogue where the characters are whispering", or "This character's name shaped how their personality developed", or anything like that?

Because that kind of thing happens to me all the time.

And I don't think you need do understand literary analysis to know what tools you're using. After all, those are just labels that people stick on recognisable patterns. Any writer can say "I used a comparison with a butterfly here because it put me in mind of sunshine and whimsy", or "I used "oo" sounds here to highlight the sense of dread".

I also believe that actively thinking about these things makes us all better writers.

Back