Trump formally files appeal of $365 million verdict, does NOT post required bond

Trump, An Overview

Property Rich? This is just a tip of what his properties are like:

In 2015, 17 buildings in Manhattan bearing Trump’s name were reported (along with Central Park’s Wollman Rink and the Trump Golf Links golf course in the Bronx). But a number of those have since shed their Trump branding, and it appears his hold on many of the remaining properties is tenuous at best — one licensing-deal expiration away.

Trump International Hotel and Tower

The Columbus Circle building bears his moniker, but he owns little of the space. It is roughly half hotel rooms and half condos. The majority owner is General Electric and Ohio’s Galbreath Company. According to the New York Times, Trump owns the parking garage, the valet booth, room-service kitchens, lobby bathrooms, a restaurant space, and one unit.

Trump Tower – Fifth Avenue

While 40 Wall Street is one of Trump’s largest holdings, he doesn’t own the land it is built upon. He controls and manages the building. If that is confusing, this will help. Trump owns the “ground lease” to the 72-story building, which requires him to pay rent to the landowners—the wealthy Hinneberg family of Germany. Basically, he rents the dirt on a 99-year lease, and at the end of 99 years, the lease expires. Then, the structure becomes the property of the Hinneberg family. Trump no longer controls or receives anything.

His penthouse is the famous 30,000-square-foot ‘mistake’ in his fraud case. The actual square footage is about 10,000 sf.

1290 Avenue of the Americas

Hong Kong investors bailed Trump out of financial trouble by swapping the residential project near Lincoln Center. This left Trump with a 30 percent stake in the 1290 Avenue building that is locked up until 2044, which means he can’t sell it until then (when he’ll be 97 years old). The Hong Kong investors then sold their controlling interest to Vornado. Trump has no control over the building’s management or branding, but his share on paper is one of his company’s biggest assets.

DA Letitia James accuses Trump of conveniently omitting the restrictions of the share — like not being able to sell it for decades — in his financial statements, which falsely portrayed the amount as “cash” that he controlled. James said Trump cherry-picked numbers to create “false and misleading valuations” that made the property appear to be worth $1.5 billion more than it was in reality.

Trump Park Avenue

502 Park Avenue

Trump reportedly owned 23 apartments in this 32-story building as of 2013, which included unsold condos and rental units. In 2011, Ivanka Trump rented one of the unsold penthouses, which included an option to buy it for $8.5 million. But shortly thereafter, the Trump Organization claimed the unit was worth $25 million without disclosing the far cheaper price offered to Ivanka.

Another issue was that 12 of the building’s apartments are rent-stabilized — Don Jr. has reportedly called them “the bane of my existence” — and appraised by a bank at $750,000 in total.

The Trump Organization claimed those apartments were worth as much as $50 million. This creative accounting enabled the Trump Organization to value the building as high as $350 million, James’s lawsuit said. But in reality, it was worth much less — $72.5 million, according to a 2010 valuation.

-----

I haven't dug through the rest --- it's not worth the tribulation after seeing these.:eek:
All of which reinforces the veracity of the verdict.

I would think that most billionaire republicans, even MAGATs, probably became billionaires by being smart enough (My Pillow Guy excepted) not to stupidly double down and say the exact same things about E Jean on the courthouse steps after losing at trial. Seeing that stupidity, they would not give a dime to that moron for his defense. They’ll still vote for him, though.
Because they know he will push for laws to protect them because he will push for laws to protect himself, they know how selfish he is-but they still benefit.

Fine. So link us up with how the verdict and fine is indefensible, violates the constitution and is political corruption. Please don’t reference your usual suspects.
Read the 8th Amendment.

Read the 8th Amendment.
Define excessive for a Billionaire.

I can easily come up with 1/4 of my net worth, and I'm no Billionaire. That Trump can't kind of makes me think he's not really a Billionaire. So as long as the court thinks he is, and Trump claims he is, then the bond is not excessive.

8th Ammendment! ??????

Well fuck! I think my taxes are excessive so I just won’t pay

He defrauded the State of New York

Pay Up!!

It depends of course whether his net worth is for tax purposes, Forbes List, or bond purposes.

He could always collateralize a golf course or two. I've been told, many people say, that some of them have 2000 holes.

It depends of course whether his net worth is for tax purposes, Forbes List, or bond purposes.

He could always collateralize a golf course or two. I've been told, many people say, that some of them have 2000 holes.
I’m sure his golf courses are over-valued and over-leveraged just like all his properties.

Bail is not an appeal bond. Nobody is forcing you to appeal a court decision.. If you do choose to appeal a court decision, you have to place the judgement in escrow.

The 8th Amendment doesn't apply here.

Dummy.
Yeah it does, it applies everywhere in the US. It is the supreme law of the land. The Bill of Rights, the 1st, 2nd, Fourth, and Eighth, has been incorporated into the state law by the SCOTUS under the 14th Amendment substantially and procedurally.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/incorporation_doctrine

Monday is coming. Trump has asked the NY State Appellate Court to waive the bond or lower it so that it will stave off the seizure of his real properties as his lawyers desperately fight to overturn the fraud charges. If the Court doesn't intervene by then, Trump's House of Cards empire is about to face daylight in the center ring.

A billionaire is on the ropes, getting body blows to the gut and ribs, and there are still two minutes in the round to go.

Letitia James is delivering those body blows and showing no mercy. Trump's bravado, his taunts, and lies have ignited her desire for a righteous victory. The woman is on fire and it shows in her iron words, "I look at Trump Tower every day."

If the Court's bell doesn't ring for Trump in time by Monday. James will deliver that vicious uppercut that will send DT to his knees on the mat. Will he fall face down and be out for the count?

Stay tuned for the next round. So far, it's been a hell of a fight, with Trump feigning and dodging meanwhile James is driving home the jabs, beating him down one body blow at a time.

Odds are no longer in Trump's favor. Bookmakers are beginning to hedge their bets. What about the MAGA millionaires in his corner? Are they still on their feet, cheering for Trump to counterpunch at any moment? Hell yeah, they are - but not one of them has offered another dollar. They aren't suckers like Trump said they are.

Yeah it does, it applies everywhere in the US. It is the supreme law of the land. The Bill of Rights, the 1st, 2nd, Fourth, and Eighth, has been incorporated into the state law by the SCOTUS under the 14th Amendment substantially and procedurally.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/incorporation_doctrine
You really need to read the things you think support your claims.

This in the first paragraph from your protection against excessive bail link: Illinois law provides three ways in which an accused can secure his pretrial release: (1) personal recognizance; (2) execution of a bail bond, with a deposit of 10% of the bail, all but 10% of which (amounting to 1% of the bail) is returned on performance of the bond conditions, and (3) execution of a bail bond, secured by a full amount deposit in cash, authorized securities, or certain real estate, all of which is returned on performance of the bond conditions. Appellant Schilb, charged with two traffic offenses, secured pretrial release after depositing 10% of the bail fixed. He was convicted of one offense and acquitted of the other. After he paid his fine, all but 1% of the bail (amounting to $7.50) was refunded. In this class action, he thereafter challenged the Illinois system on due process and equal protection grounds, claiming that the 1% retention charge is imposed on only one segment of the class gaining pretrial release, and on the poor but not on the rich; and that its imposition on an accused found innocent constitutes a court cost against the nonguilty. The trial court dismissed Schilb's complaint, and the State Supreme Court affirmed.

Please note that the state Supreme Court said the system was fine and not excessive. You do this all the time! Be better!

ETA: And your protection against excessive fine link is simply arguments and discussion about a state case in which holding a vehicle was in excess and out of proportion to the charges. Furthermore, a link at the top of that discussion sends you to the actual decision in which the court said it was not excessive because the 8th amendment applies only to federal and not state actions.

Conclusion. This is why people don’t bother to read your sources and to dismiss them outright: even when you cite legitimate sources, ignoring your usual rwcj ones, they regularly say the opposite of what you think and don’t support your claims at all.

Last edited:

This in the first paragraph from your protection against excessive bail link: Illinois law provides three ways in which an accused can secure his pretrial release: (1) personal recognizance; (2) execution of a bail bond, with a deposit of 10% of the bail, all but 10% of which (amounting to 1% of the bail) is returned on performance of the bond conditions, and (3) execution of a bail bond, secured by a full amount deposit in cash, authorized securities, or certain real estate, all of which is returned on performance of the bond conditions. Appellant Schilb, charged with two traffic offenses, secured pretrial release after depositing 10% of the bail fixed. He was convicted of one offense and acquitted of the other. After he paid his fine, all but 1% of the bail (amounting to $7.50) was refunded. In this class action, he thereafter challenged the Illinois system on due process and equal protection grounds, claiming that the 1% retention charge is imposed on only one segment of the class gaining pretrial release, and on the poor but not on the rich; and that its imposition on an accused found innocent constitutes a court cost against the nonguilty. The trial court dismissed Schilb's complaint, and the State Supreme Court affirmed.

Please note that the state Supreme Court said the system was fine and not excessive. You do this all the time! Be better!

ETA: And your protection against excessive fine link is simply arguments and discussion about a state case in which holding a vehicle was in excess and out of proportion to the charges. Furthermore, a link at the top of that discussion sends you to the actual decision in which the court said it was not excessive because the 8th amendment applies only to federal and not state actions.

Conclusion. This is why people don’t bother to read your sources and to dismiss them outright: even when you cite legitimate sources, ignoring your usual rwcj ones, they regularly say the opposite of what you think and don’t support your claims at all.

Amendment VIII​

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

The rulings against Trump by the Soviet NY Judge violate this amendment. Having to put up half a billion dollars before being allowed to appeal this historically unique judgment is a miscarriage of justice that violates due process of law that will not stand.

My opinion: Trump should let them start seizing his property. Let's see if the city of NY and the Democrat Party can weather the reaction of Americans and the business community to the spectacle of a Communist AG seizing the property of a former United States President and leading candidate in the current Presidential race, without due process of law.

Amendment VIII​

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted

The rulings against Trump by the Soviet NY Judge violate this amendment. Having to put up half a billion dollars before being allowed to appeal this historically unique judgment is a miscarriage of justice that violates due process of law that will not stand.

My opinion: Trump should let them start seizing his property. Let's see if the city of NY and the Democrat Party can weather the reaction of Americans and the business community to the spectacle of a Communist AG seizing the property of a former United States President and leading candidate in the current Presidential race, without due process of law.
A bond isn’t bail, isn’t a fine, and definitely not cruel and unusual punishment

Amendment VIII​

I think Leticia James and NYC are willing to take their chances. As of now, you and your fellow MAGAts have a little over 72 hours to be benevolent benefactors and raise the hard cash needed to bail your orange messiah out. I have faith that you can do it! 😘❤️🥳

Amendment VIII​

Go read your original post that I replied to. But basically you ended up arguing with supporting court decisions that states don’t have to follow A8 because A8 applies to federal stuff and not state stuff.

The judgement was rendered in NYC. And the amendment applies in all states. You are wrong:

• Seventh Amendment (not incorporated)
  • Eight Amendment
Click on this link and see why you're wrong: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/incorporation_doctrine

The judgement was rendered in NYC. And the amendment applies in all states. You are wrong:

• Seventh Amendment (not incorporated)
  • Eight Amendment
Jeebus. I actually read the excessive bail and fine cases that were linked under the eighth amendment bullet. They don’t say what you think they say. Read them for yourself.

Click on this link and see why you're wrong: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/incorporation_doctrine
Ok, I see where it says 8A is fully incorporated. That doesn’t necessarily mean trump’s bond is excessive.

Last edited:
Back