The Travel Thread

Got back from a three day course in Cincinnati Ohio.
It was pretty nice for an American city but I am starting to appreciate a fact about the American space program.
More astronauts come from Ohio than any other state in the US.
Something about Ohio makes people want to leave the planet.

If you want to see a "typical" American city, I suppose Cincinnati would meet that need, but it not exciting or inspiring. For all there is to criticize about Chicago, Kansas City, or New York, they all have a certain majesty to them. All of them were hubs of change. Cincinnati... is there.

Got back from a three day course in Cincinnati Ohio.
It was pretty nice for an American city but I am starting to appreciate a fact about the American space program.
More astronauts come from Ohio than any other state in the US.
Something about Ohio makes people want to leave the planet.

If you want to see a "typical" American city, I suppose Cincinnati would meet that need, but it not exciting or inspiring. For all there is to criticize about Chicago, Kansas City, or New York, they all have a certain majesty to them. All of them were hubs of change. Cincinnati... is there.
Never seen Kansas in the same list as NYC and Chicago

In July, I'm visiting the Holstein Switzerland in Germany, to be exact the riding and horse breeding estate Gut Immenhof.

I would say this is the "most German" place in Germany, from a cultural point of view - since a movie series from the 50s, about two young girls and their life there, it's deeply ingrained. I doubt that you find a woman over the age of 30 in Germany that doesn't know the movies by heart.

The first one is actually available on YouTube currently:

1714074375884.png

1714075503636.png

Courtesy of the Army, I spent a fair amount of time in Leavenworth Kansas, a short drive from Kansas City Missouri.
There is a fair bit to appreciate about that city, including art, sports, performance venues, architecture, & history (Battle of Westport, Failed Southern Treason of the 1860s). The WWI museum is superb.
Definitely not as intense as NYC or Chicago, but one of the nicer, more interesting US cities.

For all there is to criticize about Chicago, Kansas City, or New York, they all have a certain majesty to them. All of them were hubs of change.

Even from a different continent, I’ve heard about the crazy little women and perhaps more seriously about being a hub of change.

In July, I'm visiting the Holstein Switzerland in Germany, to be exact the riding and horse breeding estate Gut Immenhof.
That looks dreamy!
A beautiful part of the country.

I’ll have to look at the movie. My German language little girl culture was filtered through my grandmother, so it was Trotzkopf all the way.
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Trotzkopf

What I really came to post was a short trip to Blekinge in Sweden.
IMG_2393.jpeg
Stones deposited by the ice. Old childrens stories say they got thrown there by trolls. I’m unsure what is more scary really.

No Iris-roadtrip without engineering history:

IMG_2370.jpegIMG_2371.jpegIMG_2372.jpeg
Water of course:
IMG_2358.jpeg

Every motorcycle trip needs:
IMG_2400.jpeg
And the picture I couldn’t get myself, because it’s tricky to stop during the day (also skill level…):
IMG_2431.jpeg
The road into Karlshamn is a memorable one.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.jpeg
    IMG_2394.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2398.jpeg
    IMG_2398.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 4
Heading to Birmingham, Alabama this week. Anyone have any cool places that are both a must see and not a tourist trap?
Ouf.
Keep going up the road to Huntsville?

For a few years (2005-2008) I lived in Montgomery AL (south of Birmingham) , and did my Army Reserve duty in Huntsville (north of Birmingham) so I drove past every month.
I am not a big fan of AL.

This having been said, there are several civil rights sites in Birmingham. It was in the middle of MLKs protests and the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s (mostly because Alabama was among the most segregated, racist places in the US).

https://birminghamcivilrights.com/sites/

Fun fact about Montgomery AL; the bus from Rosa Parks not taking the backseat - the city of Montgomery put it dead center of the city impound lot so it wouldn't become a civil rights shrine.
Thankfully, a museum dug it out and took it to be renovated.

Last edited:
Ouf.
Keep going up, the road to Huntsville?

For a few years (2005-2008) I lived in Montgomery AL (south of Birmingham) , and did my Army Reserve duty in Huntsville (north of Birmingham) so I drove past every month.
I am not a big fan of AL.

This having been said, there are several civil rights sites in Birmingham. It was in the middle of MLKs protests and the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s (mostly because Alabama was among the most segregated, racist places in the US).

https://birminghamcivilrights.com/sites/

Fun fact about Montgomery AL; the bus from Rosa Parks not taking the backseat - the city of Montgomery put it dead center of the city impound lot so it wouldn't become a civil rights shrine.
Thankfully, the Smithsonian dug it out and too it the the museum in DC.

Lol, my first thought was, "I'm so sorry, Birmingham is a fucking shithole."

Seconding the Huntsville and Montgomery suggestions. The Space Center in Huntsville is worth the drive alone.

Unfortunately, I'm there for work so I won't be going elsewhere, although I'd love to. I'll have to check out some of the sites suggested

Thanks!

Saw an amazing amount. Rhino, elephant, buffalo, cheetah, tiger, giraffe (two species), hyena, leopard, ostrich, loads of antelope species including lesser kudu, eagle, flamingos. Amazed at how much was there and the density of wildlife.
That’s amazing what time of the year did you go?

Back