The future is dense, walkable cities.

I hope the hell purposely...

Holy crap. I just saw the last reply. It's not on purpose. 🤯

You’re very agitated this morning. Are you sure you didn’t forget your tinfoil cap? And what about your meds? You know how you get when you don’t take your meds.

I expect people will be spending more time outside and less time inside staring at their phones.
Have you ever seen a teenage girl in action? Even when forced to spend time outside by circumstance, their face is still glued to their phone...

;) ;)

As society devolves into chaos, so shall the cities. Rather than the Utopian picture the OP is painting I expect the large cities to begin to look more like a scene out of "Blade Runner." Indeed, some of them are well on their way.

St. Louie is one scary place, even to drive through...

🤮

... I do not advice taking a walk in East St. Louie. Even armed. The criminals have better guns.

People move to cities for the wide variety of economic opportunities (jobs and entrepreneurship), for more entertainment options, and for more options to find a mate.

It’s not a “need”, it’s a preference.

And cities that prioritize pedestrians and bicyclists over motor vehicles have a quality of life difference that lots of people enjoy.

People who prefer the suburbs or rural areas can stay there. No problem. Nobody is making anyone do anything.
There aren't any ion America, try China or Asia.

The trend toward greater urbanization in the US is pretty constant, hovering around +1% per year on average for the last sixty years. The cities are slowly but steadily winning as people attractors.

Here's some statistics:

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/USA/united-states/urban-population
That's funny really. Here in Tennessee I speak to people moving here to rural areas here to escape cities like Chicago, New York, and yes, even that paradise LA.

That's funny really. Here in Tennessee I speak to people moving here to rural areas here to escape cities like Chicago, New York, and yes, even that paradise LA.

Well, we can look at the data from 270 million Americans or we can go with the anecdotal evidence of you and your rural neighbors.

Which is more convincing?

Be advised the Netherlands are in Europe or your panties. Not in the United States. :D

So you’re ignoring the US example I provided above that?

The Netherlands are a good example of a place that once was car-oriented and made choices to change that.

Suburbia can be seen as an addiction, but more severe and expensive than most addictions, with the infrastructure built to support it. The nation built a giant trap for itself. It will eventually escape the trap, but at high cost, like chewing off a leg.

Does not suburbia pay the taxes that foot the bill for their infrastructure and is not the anxiety of the urban areas that they cannot afford their infrastructure because nobody wants to live there thanks to their political infrastructure which is geared towards the votes of hands out for handouts and the ever increasing taxation required to purchase that voting loyalty? I mean, most of the big urban areas are solidly Blue and it is the American Left that assures us that they have all the answers (and all they need is all the money to go along with and provide the answers).

After pushing out the people who would have paid taxes by looting them to fund pipe dreams, the reaction is, "Wait! We're the great city! We built this place! THEY need to pay for it. Call the tribute gratitude and consider us a charity that does good works for those they left us with..."

Back