The future is dense, walkable cities.

Most cities are doing just fine. Not laying off anyone. Not in decline.

PS: it’s interesting how the right wing nuts try to devolve every discussion into “ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ARE GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!” 😆
As one example Denver cut both police and fire departments to fund illegal immigrant services.

No. They’re leaving because people are working from home. Care to try again?
I see that mathematics aren't your major.

If they live in the city, and start working from home.......they aren't leaving. If they did not live there to begin with then they can't leave you can't add or subtract for either scrnario

Ahahaha the things that pass for knowledge!

I see that mathematics aren't your major.

If they live in the city, and start working from home.......they aren't leaving. If they did not live there to begin with then they can't leave you can't add or subtract for either scrnario

Ahahaha the things that pass for knowledge!
Not everyone who works in a city lives there. Math doesn’t seem to be your strong suit.

That article says nothing of the kind.

Denser development preserves rural land that would otherwise be suburbanized. Rural land is much better for ecosystems than suburbanized land.

PS: suburbs are the opposite of the libertarian world you say you support. Suburbs only exist in their current form because of heavy government regulation (zoning) and heavy government spending on roads and utilities extension. 😄

That article says nothing of the kind.

Denser development preserves rural land that would otherwise be suburbanized. Rural land is much better for ecosystems than suburbanized land.
No, because denser development means more people which means more land used for agriculture.

If what you say were true, we would have decreasing extinctions instead of increasing ones.

No, because denser development means more people which means more land used for agriculture.

If what you say were true, we would have decreasing extinctions instead of increasing ones.

You’re not making sense. The ever expanding suburbs are what destroy habitat and cause extinction.

You’re not making sense.
Urbanization just made it over 60% a few years back. During that time, our environmental crisis has worsened. Most of the land used by humanity is not for housing and the more people we cram into cities, the more we can cram, which is why population rose so dramatically in the past century.

Urbanization just made it over 60% a few years back. During that time, our environmental crisis has worsened. Most of the land used by humanity is not for housing and the more people we cram into cities, the more we can cram, which is why population rose so dramatically in the past century.

What? Urbanization does not cause population to grow. Quite the opposite. Urbanization leads to economic opportunity and better education, both of which lead to falling birth rates.

That’s why birth rates around the world are falling.

Suburban sprawl destroys wildlife habit. It’s a fact and you’ll just have to accept it.

Last edited:
Then why is our population so huge now after a century of increasing urbanization?
You’re confusing cause and effect. When the population grows, more people live in cities. More people living in cities doesn’t cause the population to grow.

When the population grows, more people live in cities. More people living in cities doesn’t cause the population to grow.
Both can be true. If you find a way to avoid running out of space, you can add more people, which creates an opportunity that the population fills.

If your assertion were true, world population would have dropped.

Both can be true. If you find a way to avoid running out of space, you can add more people, which creates an opportunity that the population fills.

People moving to cities is better for the environment, but has no effect on total population. That’s why the population hasn’t dropped with increased urbanization.

The birth rate is now below the replacement rate in the majority of nations. It takes a while for the impact to cause total population to fall. Demographic change is slow.

What does that have to do with your original comment anyway? I think you realized you were wrong and now you’re changing the subject. 😄

Suburban sprawl destroys wildlife habit.

The birth rate is now below the replacement rate in the majority of nations. It takes a while for the impact to cause total population to fall. Demographic change is slow.

What does that have to do with your original comment anyway? I think you realized you were wrong and now you’re changing the subject. 😄

Suburban sprawl destroys wildlife habit.
Tell that to the deer and coyotes in my back yard...

Suburbs that let the residents use all of their land, front and back yards, for edible gardening and small livestock, mostly chickens and rabbits, may last a little bit longer than the tightly regulated burbs with only manicured lawns.

Suburbs that let the residents use all of their land, front and back yards, for edible gardening and small livestock, mostly chickens and rabbits, may last a little bit longer than the tightly regulated burbs with only manicured lawns.
Those highly regulated suburbs are often ruled by the iron fist of an HOA. Frankly anyone stupid enough to live in an HOA gets what they deserve. Nothing more than a bunch of nosey neighbor nazis telling them what color to paint their house, how many cars they can have and where to park them, what plants they can have in their yard, whether or not they can fly a flag, and so on.

My suburb's planners made some strange choices in roads and traffic direction. Now there are more turn, stoplights, and distance from main roads to my home. I thought of making comments to the city council, planning commission, and county commission, but that doesn't seem worth the effort. That won't make any difference in this burb becoming a slum, then ghost town, then farms or swampland. Maybe it could be a lake.

Back