The 2024 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

Laurel has been handling contests and events oddly this year, but the way events ran last year and the year before, they will be published on the 15th and the EVENT will go live with an event page on the 25th. She might tell the readers that there's a Geek Pride event also, but we'll see what happens.

Yes, this pissed me off a bit earlier this year, in one of the events. I didn't understand it then, I understand it less now.

I used to be proud to submit on the first day the challenge "began." Now I'm in no rush. Once this thread tells me the event has gone live, I'll probably submit right then.

Yes, this pissed me off a bit earlier this year, in one of the events. I didn't understand it then, I understand it less now.

I used to be proud to submit on the first day the challenge "began." Now I'm in no rush. Once this thread tells me the event has gone live, I'll probably submit right then.
Depend on the thread, because if it's run like the April Fools contest you won't find out from Laurel until after the event is over.

Okay, this is definitely different than the On the Job one, where stories were posted gradually. Mine just got approved and it's publication date is 5/25 not 5/15.

Okay, this is definitely different than the On the Job one, where stories were posted gradually. Mine just got approved and it's publication date is 5/25 not 5/15.
Okay. Phew! I thought I was going to miss this contest!! That was my understanding of the "going live" date. Thank you for clearing that up!!

Mmmm, yes, I submitted mine yesterday hoping it would go up closer to the 15th than the 25th...maybe some kind of switcheroo going on in terms of challenges...

Scrapped my story. Could not make it flow. I have possibly found something more profound. We’ll see if I can get it out soon. No spoilers.

Got mine in - second entry of my new storyline... FMCs take over a new story world and one poor guy is trapped like a rabbit in the headlights. More meta fourth wall tongue in cheek. And also in other places.

Are everyone else's stories instantly (and, sorry to whine, disappointingly) being slated for posting on May 25th? I worked to get mine up for the start date of May 15th, and now it's sitting in pending with that way-off post date. I know some have mentioned it already...is this happening to everyone? Sure, not a BIG problem, but just curious...

Are everyone else's stories instantly (and, sorry to whine, disappointingly) being slated for posting on May 25th? I worked to get mine up for the start date of May 15th, and now it's sitting in pending with that way-off post date. I know some have mentioned it already...is this happening to everyone? Sure, not a BIG problem, but just curious...
mine is.

yep. mine is slated for the 25th. I was told this is how events used to always work, but it's the first time I've seen evidence of that.

Y'all, it says on the opening post of this thread all stories go live on the 25th. We knew it would be that slow already. :(

Oh well, I submitted my Toys and Masturbation piece today. It's about a writer struggling with his muse. What could be more geeky than that? I'll be patient and enjoy the feedback when it posts.

Good luck to everyone else with their writing.

Kinda need to get the umpire's call on this since I'm breaking a series roll-out to get this story live on Saturday. If it's another week to wait then I can continue the series instead.

Kinda need to get the umpire's call on this since I'm breaking a series roll-out to get this story live on Saturday. If it's another week to wait then I can continue the series instead.
Go with the series. My schedule was all messed up by this too. I was expecting to roll out 3 stories today and post a chapter for a big story on the 25th... now everything is going to come out on the 25th

The first event I wrote for, ChloeTzang's 'One Night in...' Had story releases all on the same date, but last year soflabbwlvr 'First annual Crime and Punishment story event' the stories came out when they were submitted, and then Laurel put the Event page up on the due date.

Hah! not that I'd know mind you. I'm a bit like the annoying bastard running for the lift yelling 'hold that door.' I normally only get my submission in a day or so before close date anyway.

This event is a bit different; my story is one taken down from another site before I came to Lit. I came across the draft on an old stick, so I've blinged it a bit, bit more dialogue etc and I'm ready to proofread for the first time tonight. Well, it'll probably get twenty or so reads, amends and I'll still miss something. I'm aiming for the 20th but if you hear a yell around the 23rd - it'll be this bastard. :)Good Luck.

Last edited:
Go with the series. My schedule was all messed up by this too. I was expecting to roll out 3 stories today and post a chapter for a big story on the 25th... now everything is going to come out on the 25th
Roger that, Big Dog. Series in the pipe for this weekend then Geek pride week after.

To quote Grand Moff Tarkin: I'm taking an awful risk... this had better work 😉

I confess I am a bit astonished by the confusion, the whole point of the challenge is the day itself, when the whole lot get published. Built right into the concept and the rules of submission.

I am going to miss this one this year, only the second time since the origin. Partway through a good tale, but there are so many moving parts that aren't done, I'll not be able to complete it to my satisfaction. Next year.

Good luck everyone, this is always a great event with a high percentage of worthy reads.

Back