The 2024 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

Is the surname Brandon politically triggering to people from the USA? i do not know, but I want to use the name for a reason, for a story in this event, but I don’t want any politial effect at all.
Not outside of the particular political context it had been used in. Same for using "trump" as a verb in its regular meaning.

Not outside of the particular political context it had been used in. Same for using "trump" as a verb in its regular meaning.
Also apparently 'trump' is not a euphemism for 'fart' in America. You can imagine how many playground rhymes make use of the double meaning, here...

Brandon is definitely a name that would clue me in that This Guy Is American, but nothing more.

Is the surname Brandon politically triggering to people from the USA? i do not know, but I want to use the name for a reason, for a story in this event, but I don’t want any politial effect at all.

The only people who would get angry about this are the people who get angry at whatever they're told to be angry about. (M&Ms, Bud Light...) That's my best advice for questions like this. I think you should write what you want to write and don't worry about them.

Anyway, I'm done! The Virgin Islands, my entry for this year's geek pride, has been fussed over for about as long as I can tolerate, so it's getting abandoned to the world as soon as submissions are open.

It's not a surname, politically. It's a substitute name for "Joe Biden." The etymology involves a crowd at a car race and a driver whose first name was Brandon.

Go for it. A few people might see it as political, but I doubt most will. If you use it as a surname, I doubt anyone will notice at all.

No. The very specfic phrase, "Let's go Brandon" has become a political slogan, but because of the way it originated, only that exact phrase has any significance. And definitely not the name in isolation.

No. The very specfic phrase, "Let's go Brandon" has become a political slogan, but because of the way it originated, only that exact phrase has any significance. And definitely not the name in isolation.

Well, in some corners of the internet, people who don't much care for Biden do make a habit of referring to him as "Brandon." In isolation.

As I said above, @shelleycat1, I doubt it'll pose a problem. The kind of people who use Brandon as shorthand for Joe B are unlikely to be all that numerous. Again, used as a surname, it won't be any kind of problem. As a given name, there might be one in a thousand readers who'll even care. And they won't care all that much.

Well, in some corners of the internet, people who don't much care for Biden do make a habit of referring to him as "Brandon." In isolation
I've never heard that, unless the conversation is already in a political context, or at least a current events news context. And even then, it is shorthand for "let's go Brandon", not Biden's name.
As I said above, @shelleycat1, I doubt it'll pose a problem. The kind of people who use Brandon as shorthand for Joe B are unlikely to be all that numerous. Again, used as a surname, it won't be any kind of problem. As a given name, there might be one in a thousand readers who'll even care. And they won't care all that much.
Oh, I bet there are a lot of conservative readers here. Sounds like a lot in LW, probably a lot in GM, fetish, BDSM, interracial as well.

But it doesn't matter. The name Brandon outside of political contexts won't even be noticed by them.

I've never heard that, unless the conversation is already in a political context, or at least a current events news context. And even then, it is shorthand for "let's go Brandon", not Biden's name.

I mean, it's not something worth arguing about; you might frequent very different parts of the internet than I do, and that's fine. I see it fairly frequently, as shorthand for Biden's name.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just trying to give @shelleycat1 all the information I can. We agree that use of "Brandon" is unlikely to be controversial here.

I mean, it's not something worth arguing about; you might frequent very different parts of the internet than I do, and that's fine. I see it fairly frequently, as shorthand for Biden's name.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just trying to give @shelleycat1 all the information I can. We agree that use of "Brandon" is unlikely to be controversial here.
Yeah, I'm not arguing really, just trying to make sure shellycat knows there is basically zero worry about it.

About to submit mine! Ended up at a little over 19k words, so almost triple the length of my first event submission for On the Job. Clearly, this means that my Yay Team one will be a 60k novel to keep up with the trend. (No, it won't be).

Also a question: do we put both "geek pride" and "geek pride 2024" in tags, as per usual with those events?

Also a question: do we put both "geek pride" and "geek pride 2024" in tags, as per usual with those events?
I believe so. In the past, Laurel added the appropriate tags to one of my contest submissions, because I did not know to do that. But, yes. I would add those tags. Then again, this is a "challenge" not a "contest," so rules may differ...

Edit
I just checked and the official rules state this: "4. Please use “Geek Pride” as a story tag."

I mean, if you are not using it in a context that is obviously meant to be on the nose, I doubt anyone will take notice.

About to submit mine! Ended up at a little over 19k words, so almost triple the length of my first event submission for On the Job. Clearly, this means that my Yay Team one will be a 60k novel to keep up with the trend. (No, it won't be).

I also wrote like 18k words which is crazy for me since I try to keep it shorterish.

I developed the Jack and Jill writing challenge into a 2.5k word story - I figure being inspired by a geeking writing thread on the AH suffices. I have started a story that would be perfect (my geeky scientists again!) for Geek Pride, but the chances of it being complete in time are low.

My reading of rule 1. is that the story itself needs to contain geeky themes.
Eh, rules were made to be bent. I may big up the birdwatching detail. Or do a story-within-a-story explaining the AH inspiration.

Moving on to the next project, now.

use “Geek Pride” as a story tag but of you also want to use "geek pride 2024" go ahead and use both.

They're done! My Isaac Asimov inspired Trilogy has been submitted

Captain Scarlett Saves Mars!
Captain Scarlett vs The Scrapper
Captain Scarlett, Martian Envoy

FOLLOW! Captain Scarlett as he saves the colonies of Mars from danger
THRILL! to the exploits of Captain Scarlett and his beautiful wife Colonel Pandora Vermillion!
READ! 21st Century Scifi Erotica that was written in the style of 1950's Scifi Drama

5. All entries to be submitted from May 15th through to 11:59pm, May 24th - with a Go Live Date of Saturday May 25th. You can submit any time between May 15th and May 24th. All stories will be posted on Saturday May 25th.
Not sure I like that rule, IMO waiting till 25th seems way too long. But I have a story, and I've submitted it now. See it posted whenever.

Not sure I like that rule, IMO waiting till 25th seems way too long. But I have a story, and I've submitted it now. See it posted whenever.
Stories will be posted starting from 15th. If you tagged and noted it correctly, it will be held until then.

It will be posted on the 15th. Stories submitted between the 15th and the 25th will be posted pretty quickly if you put the notes to admin as Chloe asked. On the 25th submissions end and all entries will be placed on a page to list them all for the readers.

So, how's everyone who hasn't posted yet (and updates from those who have) going with their entries for this one? Have your inner geeks been duly and enthusiastically released? How many stories are you looking at this year? What do you have cooking?
This is my next project after I finish my current story. I know I only have a couple weeks but I work best under pressure. Still planning on a classic tale of six D&D players (mage, cleric, paladin, Druid/monk, mystic knight, rogue) taking out an incel lich and dragon and then getting it on in a post action celebration. Also some debate with the GM over what place erotica has in such games. And frustration on her part because her primary partner isn’t a player and everyone else is paired off except the biggest geek in the game. Heh.

I still need a title. Ideas welcome.

Update- thinking “Critical Plays”.

Last edited:
It will be posted on the 15th. Stories submitted between the 15th and the 25th will be posted pretty quickly if you put the notes to admin as Chloe asked. On the 25th submissions end and all entries will be placed on a page to list them all for the readers.
I thought a "go live date" meant that was the date that they go live. So, you're saying that the stories will start going live on the 15th? In three days?

I thought a "go live date" meant that was the date that they go live. So, you're saying that the stories will start going live on the 15th? In three days?
Laurel has been handling contests and events oddly this year, but the way events ran last year and the year before, they will be published on the 15th and the EVENT will go live with an event page on the 25th. She might tell the readers that there's a Geek Pride event also, but we'll see what happens.

Back