The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

I wrote mine in about thirty minutes. I’ve been editing and revising, with help, for two days. 😜
That is exactly how this game is played

"It would have been better if it had been longer."
That's a plus to this challenge and I used it wisely in 2023. Two of my stories that received positive comments became the outlines to much larger stories. Saturday Morning became part of the April Fools contest and Saturday Evening, which my readers went wild over, appeared in the crime and punishment challenge and the Summer Fun contest. A couple of 750 word stories became springboards to something bigger and better.

Also, when storing data for my stories, since 750 word stories are so radically different from full length stories, like poetry, I count their stats separately, their scores are averaged separately.

You get things right where you think you want them. Then you let it sit for a while or get a beta reader to go over it. Ooh, I want to nudge this, but then I need to lose five words somewhere else. K. Got that. Crap. One under. Cool, I can add an adjective, maybe. Fuck. Where do I put it so that it will be most effective?

This is a deceptively evil challenge. LOL

I entered three stories the first time I was aware of the competition. Although I enjoyed the process and am pleased with the work I did, these 750 word stories always score really badly. It dragged down my averages something terrible.

I entered three stories the first time I was aware of the competition. Although I enjoyed the process and am pleased with the work I did, these 750 word stories always score really badly. It dragged down my averages something terrible.
I've mentioned it before - they are radically different from a story or novel like a poem is different, so I don't average them in with my stories, on my personal spread sheet they're separate from the stories, I always start the story name with 750 so they don't get mixed up with the bigger works.

I've mentioned it before - they are radically different from a story or novel like a poem is different, so I don't average them in with my stories, on my personal spread sheet they're separate from the stories, I always start the story name with 750 so they don't get mixed up with the bigger works.
Didn't someone mention one of theirs won a Reader's Choice award one year?

I wrote one like three days ago. I already said most of them score like shit, for those complaining. I already said most readers don't like them. The point is it's a writers challenge, not something to appease the readers, hence my joke on page one. If it does, cool. This challenge ain't for chasing clout.

Because of the difficulty of paring down the words, and particularly because 750 words stories tend to come in rather low rated, although I enjoy reading and writing flash fiction of all types, I would like to suggest that sometime down the line this become a full contest to encourage writers and readers.

Because of the difficulty of paring down the words, and particularly because 750 words stories tend to come in rather low rated, although I enjoy reading and writing flash fiction of all types, I would like to suggest that sometime down the line this become a full contest to encourage writers and readers.
What makes you think things'll change if it's a contesy versus challenge?

I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before. The submitting window of this event coincides with the Pink Orchid event, so if your story features women that have agency and aren’t just pretty cock accessories, you’re more than welcome to post it in both. Also, if you’re worried about writing women who make sense, this is a low commitment way to try.

I haven’t written my 750 story yet, but there’s plenty of time, and that takes, what, 10 minutes? so it’s not like I need to start anytime soon… right? 😁

Laurel funds nineteen contests a year, it's easy to say "Let's throw a contest" but when it comes to writing checks, that makes it a bit difficult.

Why don't you classifiy your 750 word stories differently? that way you can see how your stories are scoring, and then your poetry, and then your 750 Word stories.

Just finished mine...bang on 750! Had a ball writing it...a very, very simple story, with a tiny little sting in the tail. Very glad I had a go at this one! Thanks for the encouragement of this thread. 🙏

Just finished mine...bang on 750! Had a ball writing it...a very, very simple story, with a tiny little sting in the tail. Very glad I had a go at this one! Thanks for the encouragement of this thread. 🙏
Try another
Last year I got so hooked I wrote 5 of them and used 2 of them as outlines for a bigger story

The 6th Annual 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread
Hey,

Who’s a good doggy? Does he want his tummy-wummy scratched? Yes he does. Yes he does.

Sorry - don’t know what happened there.

Right, a question for you. How does a height, e.g, 5’7” get treated from a word count POV?

Or should I spell it out as five foot seven inches?

Em

Hey,

Who’s a good doggy? Does he want his tummy-wummy scratched? Yes he does. Yes he does.

Right, a question for you. How does a height, e.g, 5’7” get treated from a word count POV?

Em
Just tried it in the Lit editor, appending to my Wood Nymph story. Shows as 1 word.

Hey,

Em

If you click "New Story" and then on the little blue arrows in the story submission box, Literotica displays their word counter to you. 💙

WordCounter.png

@Duleigh one mode question.

If I put “A [Series Title Here] story.” and “My contribution to the 750 word project” at the top, is that excluded from the count?

Em

@Duleigh one mode question.

If I put “A [Series Title Here] story.” and “My contribution to the 750 word project” at the top, is that excluded from the count?

Em

I know you asked the wonderful Duleigh the question, but I can tell you that it would be fine to do so. The official announcement says:
  • Write a story that is EXACTLY 750 words by Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or Literotica Control Panel Editor count - no more, no less. Story must be 750 words EXCLUDING title, intro text, description, tags, etc. Word count includes story text only.
So you can include warnings, some really quick and basic character introductions, and so on. (As in, "This is a stand-alone story but it includes characters from [Insert Story/Series name here]".) No need to worry about disqualification for doing any of that. 💙

So, "This is a story about So-and-so, who previously did this, then that, then made plans to do X but secretly wanted Y..."

If you do it properly, you can sneak in a extra thousand words.

If you do it properly, you can sneak in a extra thousand words.

I wouldn't take it that far, personally - but I am fairly sure that I have seen examples where the total number of words goes over 1000, meaning that the introduction aspect made up at least a quarter of the total text. 😅

Back