Tell me why you're a Republican.

Sean

We'll see.
Genuinely.
Tell me your beliefs. I find it hard to understand.
Really, explain to me.

SeanH said:
Genuinely.
Tell me your beliefs. I find it hard to understand.
Really, explain to me.

I'll take a shot at it, Sean

I think the fruits of my labor are mine, not the person who refuses to work.

I think that by "supporting" those who are capable of supporting themselves but won't, you are creating a class of people who will never recover from your largess.

I believe that some form of spiritual belief is paramount to the sucess of a society.

I believe that freedom has a liitle more responsibility than freedom.

I believe that some choices are more important than my, your or any life.

I think that law should be absolute and defined by a principle; the Constitution works very well, in my opinion.

I'm sure I could think of more but see what your thoughts are on that...maybe I'll come up with some more.

Rhumb

I guess most the Republicans are at the bar or fucking their mistress.

It is Friday night

RhumbRunner13 said:
I'll take a shot at it, Sean

I think the fruits of my labor are mine, not the person who refuses to work.

I think that by "supporting" those who are capable of supporting themselves but won't, you are creating a class of people who will never recover from your largess.

I believe that some form of spiritual belief is paramount to the sucess of a society.

I believe that freedom has a liitle more responsibility than freedom.

I believe that some choices are more important than my, your or any life.

I think that law should be absolute and defined by a principle; the Constitution works very well, in my opinion.

I'm sure I could think of more but see what your thoughts are on that...maybe I'll come up with some more.

Rhumb

OK. You don't believe in your fellow man?

SeanH said:
OK. You don't believe in your fellow man?

Good question.

Yes I think a preponderance of men (people) in our society are valuble and "rightous" (I use that word hesitantly). But I also know that given a chance to "cheat" the majority will do so without the lessons of said "spiritual belief".

Let me give you an example, Sean. You go into the food store, pick up your ten items, go to the checkout and put down your $10 bill to pay....but the cashier gives you change for a $20.

Do you think, even for a minute, that you should keep the change? Do you think it would be different from a little "Mom and Pop" store as vs a huge chain?

By "spiritual belief", I am not necessarily talking about an organized religion so much as a code of right and wrong dictated by a power or something greater than ourselves that leads us to do what is "right" only because it is right.

Rhumb

First, let me point out that I am not a registered Republican because I don't believe that the Republican party pursues the ideals that I believe once were important to republican philosophy.

Having said that, I agree with the philosophy behind these statements which I am quoting from someone on the web whom I don't know, regarding the Republican philosophy: "The purpose of government is to ensure that the rights of the individual are protected, and at the same time the government must restrict its activities to providing only the services that individuals cannot provide alone, such a highway contraction, postal service, or nation defense.

Republican philosophy recognizes that the best place for government to operate is locally at the community and state level where it can more effectively offer services that help individuals who may be unable to provide for themselves."

I rather believe that the primary responsibility for the average person is that person himself, and then his family; it is not the responsibility of the community or the nation to help those who can help themselves. For those who cannot help themselves, local governing officials are better able and more responsive to local needs than are officials far away. The role of government should tend towards smaller government rather than larger, more oppressive government, either in terms of regulation (so far as the rights of all individuals are respected) or in terms of taxation.

Now, I first recognize that power tends to corrupt, and local politicians tend to get corrupted fairly easily without any oversight ... American history certainly has taught us that. And I realize both in terms of the global economy and global security that we in the west have come to rely and perhaps require a larger form of government than I'd think was desirable. But I generally think less government is better government.

Plus I think, despite all the potential ineqities in the market, that the less government involvement in the marketplace, the better, so long as each individual's legal rights are maintained.

And in that regard, I think republican philosophy (as opposed to republican party politics) as I see it comes closer to my ideal form of government than democratic philosophy (as opposed to the party, or to the principles of democracy, which is separate and distinct).

Ultimately, I think republican philosophy is less trusting of the ability of government to make the world a better place. Personally, I don't see government really as having that ability; and, to the degree they MIGHT have the possibility of improvement, they invariably are incapable of efficiently delivering on that. I think market principles do a better job. I think that's where I disagree with the principles I think the democratic party stands on.

Last edited:
800px-Promises.JPG

Back