Stuff from an author's notebook.

AG31

Literotica Guru
I get a lot of pleasure from novel, apt phrases in the books I read. I find myself wanting to tell someone. Well, why not tell you folks on AH? I'm hoping to start one of those threads that wakes up every couple of months where such authorial gems can be collected. I call it "Stuff from an author's notebook" because when I come across such turns of phrase I alway imagine the author thinking it up in the absence of a current need for it and writing it down in their notebook.

Here are two examples that I came upon this morning.

"conversations that went deep into whiskey bottles and long into the night"
Andrew Klavan A Strange Habit of Mind

And then there's this one (recalled for me in the same book), that is so apt and frequently quoted as to become a cliche. But imagine when Wordsworth first thought of "intimations of immortality."

Last edited:
“I'm not really sure which parts of myself are real and which parts are things I've gotten from books.”
― Beatrice Sparks, Go Ask Alice

I had this quote on the first page of my poetry notebook, many years ago. I read the book as a teen and that quote resonated in me in ways I can't describe. I know that it was characters in all the books I read who taught me the meaning of friendship and loyalty and nobility and courage. They made me understand what sort of person I wanted to be.

Secondly
“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death.”
― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts On Common Things

"…I’ve never been the kind of man who laughs in the face of danger, much preferring to snigger behind its back and make vulgar hand gestures while it isn’t looking."
-Sandy Mitchell "The Last Ditch"

"the sloe black, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea." - Dylan Thomas Under Milk Wood

I love the opening of Ralph Emmerson's novel Invisible Man, which is a novel about being back in America in the 40s and 50s.

"I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids -- and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass."

"the sloe black, slow, black, crowblack, fishingboat-bobbing sea." - Dylan Thomas Under Milk Wood
Ah, yes. The wonderful Dylan Thomas.

'One Christmas was so much like the other, in those years around the sea-town corner now, out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve, or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six.' - A Child's Christmas in Wales

Ah, yes. The wonderful Dylan Thomas.

'One Christmas was so much like the other, in those years around the sea-town corner now, out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve, or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six.' - A Child's Christmas in Wales
With poets, almost everything they write tries to be an apt phrase. Emily Dickinson could do it with only eight lines. I wonder what she would think of our present celebrity-driven age?

I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one’s name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!

With poets, almost everything they write tries to be an apt phrase. Emily Dickinson could do it with only eight lines.
I've always loved these twelve lines by Stevie Smith:

Not Waving but Drowning
Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

I had occasion to post about the word "ping" in another thread, and that has prompted me to go ahead and suggest "ping" as a word that the author might have had in her head for a long time. It may even have prompted the whole romantic sub-plot in the book where I found it.
I read a book in which a man and woman, who had been good friends since childhood, decided to get married because they were rounding the bend toward late middle age and wanted to stop the merry-go-round and have a family. They wondered allowed how sex would go. After the sex went, either the female MC or the author, I forget which, said/wrote "Ping!" It worked so perfectly for me. That told me they were in love.

“I'm not really sure which parts of myself are real and which parts are things I've gotten from books.”
― Beatrice Sparks, Go Ask Alice
I've never read it, but the book was published fifty-three years ago and Beatrice Sparks herself was 54 when she wrote it. I suspect that a 2024 version would be "things I've gotten from the Internet" or even "things I've gotten from social media."

Back