Published my first story on Amazon - am I allowed to mention it here?

litguy444

Virgin
I finally cleaned up and published my very first story. A huge thanks to this community and the many readers on it who gave me feedback on my earlier stories. It's what gave me the confidence to try to publish it.

Quick question - am I allowed to mention the story here and link to it on Amazon?

I finally cleaned up and published my very first story. A huge thanks to this community and the many readers on it who gave me feedback on my earlier stories. It's what gave me the confidence to try to publish it.

Quick question - am I allowed to mention the story here and link to it on Amazon?
It's okay to do so in your profile and in your signature here in the forums, but not in the stories themselves (assuming you add any more). There's also a specific thread in for such self-advertisement, if I recall correctly, that's allowable if you've got stories published here (which it sounds like you do). If you want to try the Amazon support feature in your account options, that should theoretically allow people to click on the link in your profile and/or stories to go to your author page there.

The one big caveat is that someone might complain to the site if they think the stuff that's here is incomplete, which might cause the site to suspend your account if they agree. The site has policies against incomplete works and teasers that are available for sale elsewhere, which may or may not apply in your case. It sounds like you're just posting a revised and edited version of something already here, which should probably be fine, but if you advertise on your profile you may want to make it clear that it's substantially the same story. That might not be 100% effective at preventing complaints, but it'll probably help the site decide if they need to take action on such.

As Bamagan said, teasers are not allowed.

If your story(ies) here and on Amazon are identical, promoting them on their site to readers on Literotica seems rather pointless. Who would pay for the same thing on Amazon that they can get here for free? The format of the story there (e-pub, paperback, etc.) might be a differentiator, but would that be enough?

As Bamagan said, teasers are not allowed.

If your story(ies) here and on Amazon are identical, promoting them on their site to readers on Literotica seems rather pointless. Who would pay for the same thing on Amazon that they can get here for free? The format of the story there (e-pub, paperback, etc.) might be a differentiator, but would that be enough?

I don't promote my Smashwords stuff at all, aside from a link from my author bio here, and I still get sales every so often. I don't get data on how they found my stories but I suspect at least some of it is coming from people who found my stories on Literotica and are using SW as a tip jar and/or a way to get a copy in e-reader format.

Thanks for the advice - and to clarify, what I posted on Amazon is completely separate and original from what I've posted here. It's more that Literotica has been a great way to "practice" many different types of genres in a different format while I was working on my own work separately.

Good idea about adding it to my author bio, I'll do that!

Back