Poets, what music accompanies your process of composition?

Been listening to a lot of Goth rock and metal, so bands like Type O Negative, The 69 Eyes, HIM, and Poisonblack couples with Slipknot, Stone Sour, In Flames, Newsted, and Iron Maiden.

Bands that can show a story, and add depth in the color of their phrasing.

Adds a bit drama to the feel of the pieces, I think.

I saw the Velvets in '68 in a tiny club in Philly called The Trauma. Couldn't fit more than about a hundred people in there and you could talk to Lou between songs. No Nico but it was a transcendent experience. I also saw Tim Buckley there. I still get gooseflesh thinking of those nights.

And since y'all are posting your inspo music, this is a good one for me. I can listen to it before or during writing and I think there are a thousand poems in it waiting to happen.

Thanks for the reminder that I used to play a lot of jazz(piano). Since retiring it's all guitar for me, but jazz guitar isn't in my current ability level. I'm going to experiment with some mellow jazz while writing(not poems). Anything with lyrics would be a no-go for me.

Thanks for the reminder that I used to play a lot of jazz(piano). Since retiring it's all guitar for me, but jazz guitar isn't in my current ability level. I'm going to experiment with some mellow jazz while writing(not poems). Anything with lyrics would be a no-go for me.
I can't write if I'm listening to music with lyrics. It's too distracting. But non-vocal jazz, well Miles is a no brainer for me as is Dave Brubeck (Kind of Blue and Time Out are about as good as jazz gets imo). But I love listening to the horn players. Lester Young was my first jazz love, but these days I listen to a lot of Dexter Gordon, Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard or for piano Monk of course, but also Bill Evans, Bud Powell, Ahmad Jamal and of course Art Tatum. Sometimes I want more old school and I'll listen to early Count Basie or Duke. And I love Ben Webster and Johnny Hodges. I could go on. Lol I Just really love jazz!

Music is something that is a constant background to my daily life. I like everything from Classical to World Music and everything in between, so depending on mood, weather sometimes will affect this, but as others have stated I don’t like a lot of lyrical music during the writing process.

I am inspired by lyrics so will take a journey and let my mind race with a lyric…even if it’s one I’ve heard a thousand times before.

Music is something that is a constant background to my daily life. I like everything from Classical to World Music and everything in between, so depending on mood, weather sometimes will affect this, but as others have stated I don’t like a lot of lyrical music during the writing process.

I am inspired by lyrics so will take a journey and let my mind race with a lyric…even if it’s one I’ve heard a thousand times before.
I had to look up World Music. So it's basically the indigenous music of all non-Western countries. That's a WIDE range.

I had to look up World Music. So it's basically the indigenous music of all non-Western countries. That's a WIDE range.
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. The bands I follow that sort of fall into the “genre” tend to fall into African music and Caribbean centered. Usually a mixture of Regge and African music. One band we follow employs an African instrument, the Ngoni.

My wife, who is friends with one of the band members swaps African music with him on Spotify. So we get some insider info on new and upcoming bands or established acts that we in the US may not be familiar with through a guy in the industry.

Back