Nighthawk: A Superhero Story (closed for Siobhancan99)

Breathing a sigh of relief as the men shot at her rather than the captives, she ducked and charged, barreling for the leader. Cut off the head and the snake dies, or so she thought. She dropped a shoulder, looking to slam him back away from Wheeler and into the wall, hopefully giving the tech exec time to crawl away from the fracas.

Monica rushed toward the leader at full speed. She collided with the man so hard that she felt a radiating pain down her shoulder, which seemed completely worth it when the figure roughly twice her side crashed into the wall, firing a wild shot into the air but immediately falling to the ground unconscious.

The gunmen in the maintenance worker’s suit squeezed off a round, but he appeared to be so badly rattled, the shot flew well overhead and, thankfully, well over the heads of the other group of kneeling hostages.

Wincing, Monica was glad for the helmet as it didn't betray her pain. She shifted towards the other man "if you put the gun down, I wont have to smash your hand to get at it. You know that's a net positive right? you going to prison with two working hands means you might last a few days. Long enough to get some nazi tattoos and pretend to be a white supremecist or whatever. I'm not sure I only know prison from TV because I'm not a psychopath who shoots up tech people."

The man’s eyes grew wide as Monica turned her attentions on him. Hand shaking, he eventually lowered the gun. A moment later, he kneeled down and puts his hands in the over. “Alright. You win,” he muttered, looking at the ground now.

Monica picked up the gun "will someone with a phone call 911 please and let them know its safe to come in, and we need ambulances for the security guards." She looked down at the guy "three of you down here, one in the stairs. Any others?" She set the gun aside "its best you tell me so i can disarm them instead of them dying in a hail of gunfire when the police get here."

Many of the hostages reached for their phones now as the other terrorist surrendered. “There were four of us,” the man stated, sounding truthful. “One was upstairs.”

Before long, the authorities had arrived to lock down the scene and attend to the injured. Monica was able to summon the Sliver to transport her away, then find a reasonably nearby location to change back into her civilian garb and head home.

When she arrived, Gabi greeted her at the door with a full-bodied hug. “Baby. I was watching everything. Are you okay?” She buried her head in her girlfriend’s neck.

Mon winced "I fucked up my shoulder slamming some fat zealot into a wall. Nothing major I'm sure it will be fine in a day or so" She ran her fingers through her girl's hair "but there were two dead guys there. Two guys who were just doing their jobs, killed by some people scared of AI that weren't doing anything that would stop it. People are the worst. Hell is other people. Didn't Camus say that? or Sartre? some french guy."

“God, honey,” Gabi said in shock when she mentioned the two dead men. “I’m so sorry.” She rested her chin on Monica’s shoulder. “I am just so…everything just needs to stop. For one day.” Sighing, she touched Monica’s chin lightly and looked up at her girlfriend with her dark eyes.

“Can we just go out somewhere where I can get some cheap chicken strips and where we can maybe flirt with the server to bring us a drink?” She held Monica’s hand. “Misti’s. My treat,” she said, referring to a restaurant that served mostly pub grub.

"we can do anything you want baby" she kissed Gabi's cheek "We can stay in and you can sit on my face, or we can go out and get some fried food and be normal college girls for a night. No drinking though, I'm the nighthawk and being tough on crime is my whole thing" She winked at her girl, then curled her good arm around her.

Gabi managed a hint of a smile. “Umm…I am going to need both tonight, querida.” She kissed Monica’s lips, then dug her teeth in slightly on the older girl’s lower lip. “Still a few hours until dinner. Let’s just curl up on the couch for a while and watch something.”

The two girls curled up on the couch together, Gabi still in her comfy clothes from earlier. The younger girl’s body felt tense, but soon, as Monica held her and nuzzled her and stroked her skin, she began to relax. A few hours passed, and Gabi threw on a warm, knit, purple top and a pair of black pants.

Misti’s was packed as it was the one other time Monica and Gabi had gone with some friends. Being close to campus, most of the customers were college students kicking off their Thirsty Thursdays early. Their server was a floppy-haired, bookish guy likely in his mid 20s who approached them after they had been waiting for a table for about 15 minutes.

“I’m starving,” Gabi said. Before Monica had even had a chance to open her menu, Gabi said, “I know what I want. What are you going to get?” Her girlish exuberance seemed to be on the rebound now, her tone teasingly encouraging Monica to be quick with her decision making.

Monica received a text.

Thalmer: Sorry, I’m not really great at handling rejection. Please tell Gabi I’m so sorry for wanting to be more honest with her than you’re apparently capable of being. Did anyone ever tell you you’re adorable when you make threats? Kisses. T.

Monica wore a blue blouse unbuttoned to her sternum, with a black bra beneath and a pair of jeans and a low-heeled boot. She sat and as her girl teased her to order quickly she settled on a bacon cheeseburger with fries and a coke. She picked up her phone and texted back "no, you were not honest. you said things you want to be true, not things that are true. Leave us alone."

She shut her phone off, then reached across the table and took Gabi's hand, threading her fingers through the other girl's and smiling. "So what do we have going on this week? anything?"

Gabi smiled, letting Monica take her hand and playing with a salt shaker. “I’m definitely excited to spend the whole weekend with you,” the younger girl said, referring to their upcoming trip back to Cottersville for Monica’s celebration with her father. “Even if there is going to be family involved. So…I told Zoe that this weekend was just going to be family stuff. I didn’t have the…bandwidth to tell her the other stuff today. I thought maybe we could both Facetime with her to let her know how we’re feeling about things.”

Gabi glanced down at her phone after the waiter had delivered their food. “Um…would you be okay sleeping over at my house either tomorrow or Saturday? Mom really wants me--us--to spend one night there.”

The corners of Gabi’s mouth turned up in a mischievous grin. “So, we’ll…have to get the naughty stuff out of our system tonight.”

Monica nodded. "we can absolutely stay with your mom. Sarah loves me." she shrugs and cracks her back then leans in a little, looking over at her girlfriend. "and we can absolutely do whatever tonight. and everything." She smiled and covered her girl's hand "so. how DO you feel? Its ... you know ok to not necessarily feel the same as I do and you don't have to pretend otherwise. we can work out whatever baby."

Back