I'm in the process of writing a story.

Vintage_DM

Experienced
Some of the places I may mention in the story have been demolished years ago. Should I mention the name of the place that was demolished and things that might have been in the old place? Or should I create fictional names for the building and what was inside it?

I dunno. In my current stories, I use real places, both past and current, to set stages for my fictional characters. It amuses me to imagine a reader would suddenly exclaim, "I've been there!" or something like that.

In so many words, the places are always relevant to the story as my characters live their lives.

A couple of years ago I did get a comment in recognition that I had written about a certain spa/resort, even realizing we had stayed in the same room.

Paradox, the nightclub where Doug meets Lisa in my story Ruleskirter, is a real place that I frequented in college. I liked the name and a friend of mine worked there as security. It’s since closed down. There are always other clubs but I miss the place. My advice is avoid any excessive details that don’t make your story better.

I dunno. In my current stories, I use real places, both past and current, to set stages for my fictional characters. It amuses me to imagine a reader would suddenly exclaim, "I've been there!" or something like that.

In so many words, the places are always relevant to the story as my characters live their lives.

A couple of years ago I did get a comment in recognition that I had written about a certain spa/resort, even realizing we had stayed in the same room.
I do the same and I've had similar experiences. Even when I make up a name for a town or building, I'll get a comment that says something on the order of, "I know where you're talking about because I've been there."

Using real places, past or present makes a story more believable, and after all, aren't we writing about things readers want to believe could have happened?

Whatever suits your story. There are no rules here. You can use the real world or you can make it all up or you can hybrid both.

For instance, I'm working on a noir novella and for that I am using google maps for accurate neighborhoods and street names, although all of the actual locations (the night club, the sushi place, the bowling alley) are completely fictitious. It just feels right to do so. In another story I would probably just make everything up. It would likely be set in some fictitious unnamed or otherwise ambiguous locale anyways. "He made a left on Bonavista and the ancient church tower loomed straight ahead." It's all made up. Whatever.

If it feels right, go with it. I'd be shocked if anyone batted an eye.

Some of the places I may mention in the story have been demolished years ago. Should I mention the name of the place that was demolished and things that might have been in the old place? Or should I create fictional names for the building and what was inside it?
Only you can answer that question....
If it feels right, go with it.
There are no restrictions. Just do what you feel best supports your story.

Cagivagurl

Nothing wrong with that if it has some connection to the story. I've used now-demolished buildings in my 1970's stories about the City College of New York. It's more satisfying than using a generic university. Other gone landmarks I've included in stories are the Whitestone Drive-in, the RKO Fordham Theater, and the Bronx Terminal Market.

Minecraft has a 1952 version of my school, which is pretty close to the way it was in the early 1970's.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/the-city-college-of-new-york-1952/

Back