Ideal thread length

Ideal length

Hmm, kinda hard to say, as the very nature of ideal changes from person to person.

I myself try to fill in as much story and try to estimate the most common direction before coming to a point requiring the reader to make a choice. I guess this would be your single idea thread. Of course sometimes an author will want to make a choice that backtracks into the middle of your thread. There's nothing wrong with that either.

Another valid consideration is what is happening in the scene. A lengthy description of a scene, person, or activity might fill your quota for an "ideal" thread but isn't really a good place for a choice. Likewise, a dialog between characters will end up closer to your 17 paragraph thread before a choice is needed.

Generally for my own writing I try for anywhere between a half to a full page in my writing software before I start worrying about opening up options. Hope this gives you something to think about.

Well, I personally feel that the length should be based on the idea you are trying to get across in that thread. If you are just trying to leave a room, then two sentences can do that. But that is still too short. Give detail what is outside the room and what your character things or feels about the new surroundings. A single thread should (In my opinion) be at least four paragraphs long and even longer the more detail that can be added. Details are what make a story great.

As for ideas and I'm just using this to give an example, I think if the man is looking through the window at his wife cheating on him, you could easily fill a page trying to explain his thoughts. Is he mad? Is he turned on? What is she doing to the guy/girl in the room with her and how exactly does that affect the husband?

From there have him sneak in the house and once he is at the door this is where I would give the choices (1) does he break into the room in anger or (2) does he try to join in. You could even have a third where he keeps watching.

If 1 is chosen you can keep going with how he murders the other man and convinces his wife and her sister.

Like I said, this is just my personal thoughts on it.

Question the story and characters.

In your example, why did the character go up to the window? Was there suspicion from the beginning and he wanted to catch his wife in the act, or was no one answering the door and he was trying to see if anyone was home when he happened to stumble upon the affair? If he doubted his wife, what was his mood going into this investigation? If he stumbled upon it, has it been established that he's easily blinded by rage? If he kills the man, has it been established that he'd cover it up instead of confess to his crime?

How the questions are answered dictates whether or not there should be an option at a specific point. If there's any sort of ambiguity or mystery, go for the option. If the answers are set, then the option is unnecessary.

Interestingly I realise I've been writing first person, but giving the reader to choose the direction of the story from a third person view. By this I mean allowing them to choose not just the protagonists decisions, but those of other characters too. Do you guys tend to use one decision style over the other?

I leave this to the perspective of the story. However, writers will be making decisions for much more than just the protagonist, so this really comes down more to wording of the choice than content of the choice. In the case of your previous example if told from a second-person perspective, I wouldn't break the story when the protagonist turns to the two women and asks for help covering up the murder - thus making the choice whether or not they help, or have their own suggestion - I'd break the moment the protagonist realizes the person is dead to ask if he runs or accepts responsibility, but I may change how the women react depending on the man's choice. On the other hand, if it's told from third-person, I'd consider stopping after addressing the women and leaving their decision as the option. First-person is something of a coin toss that comes down to the theme. Some first-person stories are about ruining a character and playing god like third-person, while others are more like an autobiography and should be broken like a second-person. It all depends on the level of immersion the creator is attempting to create.

Even in the event of a mind control element, I'd base it entirely on perspective since the protagonist still needs to make all the decisions in order to control other characters.

Back