Feeling old

8-Track Tapes. Even at the time, it was a weird concept. I wish I'd kept my 8-track tape player and my small collection of tapes.

8-Track Tapes. Even at the time, it was a weird concept. I wish I'd kept my 8-track tape player and my small collection of tapes.
Higher fidelity than cassette tape (3 1/2" per second), but nothing beat the convenience of cassette. We used to pool money to buy the records, one guy would keep the vinyl, half a dozen would tape the albums. I wouldn't have survived uni if I hadn't done that.

I hated 8-tracks. They were fine for popular music, but sucked sucked sucked for classical. Why? Because each "side" was 20 minutes long, and then there'd be that big CLUNK! and skip in the music as the heads realigned for the subsequent track. Always right in the middle of a crucial passage (or so it would seem).

I never really warmed-up to cassette, either. Kept trying, but never seemed to get anything close to the fidelity of vinyl and a really nice turntable. CDs were nirvana, although the loss of high-frequency definition due to the 44 KHz bit rate was perceptible in classical.

You know you're getting old when your Saturday evening entertainment is...

...filling the little compartments in your pill minder.

:oops:

Just stepped away from writing to do some pausing and pondering.

What I’d just written was a conversation with the character using their smart phone. I ended it by saying that she ‘hung up’. Now, there’s a dated expression. How long has it been since anybody literally hung the receiver in a cradle to end a call?

And why do I think of it as ‘writing’ when I was banging away on a keyboard?

Sigh.
I sooo miss rotary phones, dialing, waiting for someone to answer. Leaving the house without a phone except for a telephone booth, we are way too connected these days

Vinyl making a comeback makes me feel old because I remember back in the 80's there were cassettes coming around, but we always bought the album as well because of the artwork which in the Metal genre were always amazing.
I Recently educated my 20’something son, who is a classic rock music nerd, about liner notes, and the information that one no longer get with streamed music. It was an awesome dad moment!

I hated 8-tracks. They were fine for popular music, but sucked sucked sucked for classical. Why? Because each "side" was 20 minutes long, and then there'd be that big CLUNK! and skip in the music as the heads realigned for the subsequent track. Always right in the middle of a crucial passage (or so it would seem).

I never really warmed-up to cassette, either. Kept trying, but never seemed to get anything close to the fidelity of vinyl and a really nice turntable. CDs were nirvana, although the loss of high-frequency definition due to the 44 KHz bit rate was perceptible in classical.

You know you're getting old when your Saturday evening entertainment is...

...filling the little compartments in your pill minder.

:oops:
Vinyl all the way !!!!

The thing with vinyl that people forget (and doesn't always come up in these threads), is that you could 'feel' the music. It was literally a needle picking up the grooves in the platter and a decent stereo system would let you know that. None of that with tapes of any kind. Even reel-to-reel had that tape hiss. All digital is compressed (meaning you lose part of the music) unless you go high end versions which most people don't, but even those don't carry the same vibration to create music.

All digital is compressed (meaning you lose part of the music) unless you go high end versions which most people don't, but even those don't carry the same vibration to create music.
CD isn't compressed, it's just got a 20kHz brick wall filter that chops of all ultrasonics. The slower sampling rates leaves digital artefacts, while the 196kHz sampling rate can accurately reproduce 30 ips master tape content, but the file sizes grow proportionately.

MP3, AAC, WMA uses "lossy compression" and masking techniques to get file sizes down, and you can definitely hear what they're doing to the sound. But so many people listen to music through those little earbuds, they don't care what it sounds like.

What I’d just written was a conversation with the character using their smart phone. I ended it by saying that she ‘hung up’. Now, there’s a dated expression. How long has it been since anybody literally hung the receiver in a cradle to end a call?

Sigh.
As long as you didn’t try

Sigh

Hopefully you didn’t forget you were using a computer and not a typewriter and swipe it off the table your still good ! Lol and I know what you mean feeling older every day! But much wiser lol well at least more of a sarcastic smart ass ! And getting older means you don’t care what anyone else thinks it’s definitely a great benefit!

Glad the trend is coming back around to vinyl, because that's what I've got.

CD isn't compressed, it's just got a 20kHz brick wall filter that chops of all ultrasonics. The slower sampling rates leaves digital artefacts, while the 196kHz sampling rate can accurately reproduce 30 ips master tape content, but the file sizes grow proportionately.

MP3, AAC, WMA uses "lossy compression" and masking techniques to get file sizes down, and you can definitely hear what they're doing to the sound. But so many people listen to music through those little earbuds, they don't care what it sounds like.
This makes me regret getting a D, twice, in engineering physics. I’d put it out of my mind until now.

Back