Electric cars.

Could… source ??
What kind of car?
Upwards. Not down?
Is that what Musk is charging in his cars that would appreciate in value?
10 years in on 2014 Spark doing just fine
Maintenance cost? One new normal battery
Bought used

Folks had a hard time giving up horses too

What we need is to recycle lithium (?) No market for it, yet.

Does anything get recycled anymore?? We pay for it. We certainly pay for deposit fees.

Could… source ??
What kind of car?
Upwards. Not down?
Is that what Musk is charging in his cars that would appreciate in value?
10 years in on 2014 Spark doing just fine
Maintenance cost? One new normal battery
Bought used

Folks had a hard time giving up horses too

What we need is to recycle lithium (?) No market for it, yet.

Does anything get recycled anymore?? We pay for it. We certainly pay for deposit fees.

NONE of this changes the OP one bit. Nor does it address the question of the hidden high operating costs of EV's.

NONE of this changes the OP one bit. Nor does it address the question of the hidden high operating costs of EV's.
Haha. Dumbass wannabe a lawyer…
I’ve watched Night Court. I know what happens when you go before a judge and mention a case without citation. Come back here after you graduate from the Dick Wolf school of law.

Haha. Dumbass wannabe a lawyer…
I’ve watched Night Court. I know what happens when you go before a judge and mention a case without citation. Come back here after you graduate from the Dick Wolf school of law.

Translation: Someone stepped on his dick again.

Then, of course, there is the lack of electrical infrastructure and charging stations.

Can you say, "Charging Brownouts?"
1.) The expensive cars have enough distance on a charge to only need a charge at their destination
2.) My commute ev gets charged every morning between 1am and 5am.
3.) Solar on the roof can handle your extra energy needs
4) I’ll wait until the rich folk buy their new evs before buying a longer distance car. They won’t have to worry about replacing their batteries

Electric cars are still cars. They still kill pedestrians and pollute the environment with tire residue. Because they are heavier than gasoline cars, they also increase wear and tear on the roads. The government should not be encouraging their usage by building charging stations and offering subsidies. Spend that public money on trains and bikes instead.

Total cost of ownership comparisons between EVs and ICE vehicles are largely dependent on where they are operated. Tax credits, gas prices, electricity prices, charging fees, home power set up, etc. One aspect that is relevant regardless of where the vehicle is used but doesn’t get mentioned very often is tire wear. EVs eat rubber faster.

“According to companies such as Michelin, tires on electric vehicles wear out up to 20% faster than on internal combustion vehicles.”

https://www.newsnationnow.com/automotive/electric-vehicle-tires-wear-out-faster/

Why is it the government's job to tell you what the maintenance costs will be on your car?

Umm, how about because that's government's job. You know, just like it's their job to mandate the gas mileage for new cars.

Worn out tires are nothing compared to the fumes emitted by internal combustion engines. My dad converted his '75 corvette roadster into an EV. He's the last guy I expected to go electric but he loves the car and performance. He's holding onto the original engine. Why? Who knows but I don't see him ever going back to that

The government won't tell you, that to replace the batteries in an ElectricCar could cost upwards of $25,000.00.

This is such old news that it's physically dusty.

How about what they do to tires? I bet that's news to you, even though it isn't to anyone else. 🤣

I have a Ford F-150 Lightning on which I have put, so far, about 17K miles. 90% local around town use, 10% long distance.
I LOVE IT! It is the PERFECT local vehicle.
Cost me $10K above same model ICE F-150 but got $7500 of that back from Feds.
320 mile range (realistically 250-275 depending on temp and speed). I tool around town, errands, lumber yard, etc.
Charge at home, once every 7-10 days. 1.8 mi/kWh in town driving at $0.14 / kWh (home night electric rate) = $0.07 per mile!!
Long distance charging is getting better now that I can use Tesla stations. Still a RIPOFF. 1.2 mile / kWh (highway speed) at $0.45 (approx) per kWh =~ $0.40 per mile. About 2x gas price for similar gas truck. That's OK, my contribution to environment.
1) Yes, I understand TCO, EV vs ICE is complicated but so far, in my favor. No maintenance.
2) Yes, I understand ECO/human rights issues with respect to batt fab. Not new and not just for EVs. Any limited resource in countries without strong human rights regulations.
3) Yes, I understand deferred pollution to source of electric generation. It is better / easier for Gov't to regulate ~1800 power plants than 250M drivers. Build more solar and wind, NOW.

I have a Ford F-150 Lightning on which I have put, so far, about 17K miles. 90% local around town use, 10% long distance.
I LOVE IT! It is the PERFECT local vehicle.
Cost me $10K above same model ICE F-150 but got $7500 of that back from Feds.
320 mile range (realistically 250-275 depending on temp and speed). I tool around town, errands, lumber yard, etc.
Charge at home, once every 7-10 days. 1.8 mi/kWh in town driving at $0.14 / kWh (home night electric rate) = $0.07 per mile!!
Long distance charging is getting better now that I can use Tesla stations. Still a RIPOFF. 1.2 mile / kWh (highway speed) at $0.45 (approx) per kWh =~ $0.40 per mile. About 2x gas price for similar gas truck. That's OK, my contribution to environment.
1) Yes, I understand TCO, EV vs ICE is complicated but so far, in my favor. No maintenance.
2) Yes, I understand ECO/human rights issues with respect to batt fab. Not new and not just for EVs. Any limited resource in countries without strong human rights regulations.
3) Yes, I understand deferred pollution to source of electric generation. It is better / easier for Gov't to regulate ~1800 power plants than 250M drivers. Build more solar and wind, NOW.
My wife loves, loves her soon to be 2 year old Tesla Model Y. It's only has 15k miles and we've saved so much with her not buying gas albeit she does need to charge every other day.

We're leasing it and will turn it in in a couple of summers so we won't need to worry about said battery dying out on us. Looks as if she's wanting another Tesla so who am I to tell her no 🤣??!!

It's great to see someone loving their Ford EV since I often hear how the sales on GM and Ford EVs hurting for whatever reasons!?

The government won't tell you, that to replace the batteries in an ElectricCar could cost upwards of $25,000.00.
Tried replacing a motor in ICE vehicle. Hell just changing the injectors in a 7.5 Ford Diesel is 15K.

What's the purpose of this thread? To say that your means of transportation is expensive to maintain? I don't know about you, but I already had that little piece of information in my brain.

Most people can't afford multiple cars. Just one car is becoming too expensive with fragile parts, insurance, and seven year loans. So that one car must do everything: short trips, long trips, and hauling groceries, furniture, etc. Long trips in an EV can be done, but charging locations will limit the route options. Many destinations are you can't get there from here.

Back