Edit Story and Title/Submit Story or Series?

nagrommot944

Virgin
Hi there. I published the first 12 chapters of my first story about a week ago. It is called "A Session with Mistress Jennifer." I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. I submitted it with an incorrect title. In the story, I hanged "Jennifer" to "Julia" but forgot to change the name in the title. I submitted a message to Laurel a few days ago but have not gotten a response. Is there any way for me to edit the Title, or any of the text of the story to correct a few typos?
2. I submitted the first 12 chapters as a single .rtf file, not as separate chapters. I did not submit it as a "New Series," but as a "New Story." I now want to add Chapter 13. I therefore submitted another New Story. I used the title A Session with Mistress Julia" because that is the correct title. And I included a not explaining the error in the title. Will this get published as part of the original story? I have Chapter 14, but I don't want to make the problem worse.
3. Should I have submitted the story as a series?

Thanks for the help.

Here is the FAQ for how to edit a story. The short version is, you need to submit the edited version as a new story with EDITED in the title so they know which one to replace. If the title's too long to fit now, write it in the Notes to Admin box. It may be helpful to also explain what you edited or why. Since you also want to change the title, definitely put the new title in the Notes box with an explanation to avoid confusion.

Regarding your other issue: if the new chapter gets published before the old one is corrected, it will not automatically get added to a series, but you can manually add it once both are posted. There's no objectively right or wrong answer about whether you should have split the first twelve up or not, although the automatic series manager might get confused by jumping straight to Chapter 13 from the implied Chapter 1 of the first story. I've never tested to see what it does if there's a gap in title numeration. Resubmitting the first one as twelve individual chapters would probably be a lot of work for very little gain, and a bit of a waste of Laurel's time, so you might consider re-titling the new stuff as "Part 2" or "Another Session..." if it fits in the title box. You could even give it an unrelated title and still manually add it as part of the series. The linked FAQ can also take you to instructions for managing series in that way.

Hi there. I published the first 12 chapters of my first story about a week ago. It is called "A Session with Mistress Jennifer." I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. I submitted it with an incorrect title. In the story, I hanged "Jennifer" to "Julia" but forgot to change the name in the title. I submitted a message to Laurel a few days ago but have not gotten a response. Is there any way for me to edit the Title, or any of the text of the story to correct a few typos?
A PM to Laurel might work, but the usual method is to resubmit the (properly edited) story with EDIT added to the title, and a Note to the Editor.
2. I submitted the first 12 chapters as a single .rtf file, not as separate chapters. I did not submit it as a "New Series," but as a "New Story." I now want to add Chapter 13. I therefore submitted another New Story. I used the title A Session with Mistress Julia" because that is the correct title. And I included a not explaining the error in the title. Will this get published as part of the original story? I have Chapter 14, but I don't want to make the problem worse.
No. It will be published as a new story, because it's got Julia in the title, not Jennifer.

Thanks for the help.
How long is the whole thing so far? Some people have very short chapters, and it might work better as a single submission.

You might be better off getting the first part deleted and starting again, because it sounds like you've got multiple submission problems. For starters, you're talking about fourteen chapters, but you've lumped twelve together into a single submission, so the site sees that as one chapter.

Thanks for the help.
Incidentally, since your first 12 chapters combine for about 6800 words, you wouldn't be able to submit them individually, as the site won't publish anything (except poetry) that isn't at least 750 words.

Others have said how you can change the title of your currently-published work.

In terms of your other questions, I'd recommend unsubmitting that Chapter 13 for now.

Judging by comments (positive) and length (7k words), your first publication (first 12 chapters) works well as it is.

Adding a 13th chapter to the same document would only be confusing, since readers who've already read the first 12 would never see the 13th. Making a new story that contains only chapter 13 would be equally strange, since chapters 1-12 would be in a single submission then chapter 13 would be hanging out all on its own.

My advice: unsubmit chapter 13 for now. Wait till you have chapters 13-24 (or thereabouts) written, then submit those as a second submission. That way you have the story split into equal parts across two Literotica submissions.

Incidentally, since your first 12 chapters combine for about 6800 words, you wouldn't be able to submit them individually, as the site won't publish anything (except poetry) that isn't at least 750 words.
I didn't go look to see that. But yes, that's a short submission, two Lit pages. I'd go with @mildlyaroused's advice - write a decent length second submission and have two submissions - four Lit pages isn't a long story.

The suggestions on editing your story sound spot-on.

I would just add a recommendation that when you consider whether your chapter breaks are justifiable or if they are merely scene or section breaks within chapters.

I no longer post individual chapters but when I did, they were either posted individually in sequence or grouped and submitted as numbered "parts" rather than "chapters". There would typically be 3 to 5 chapters to each published part and it was less confusing for the readers..

Thanks your all for your advice. Here's what I did (I hope it works):
I unsubmitted Chapter 13 for now.
I re-submitted the first 12 chapters s a New Story with the correct title.
I put the word "EDIT" in the title box after the correct title. I ran out of characters and could not put EDITED.
I added a note explaining all this.

Back