Do you leave comments?

Frankly what would make me comment more is knowing whether or not comments are even welcome.

I mean, extrapolating from myself, I would say by default comments are extremely welcome.
The trouble is knowing what the author in question would appreciate. And with so many different authors, it's hard to tell.

This is good feedback. I usually glance over other people's comments when I go to leave one and have to say that some people get really personal with their feedback. They get vested in the stories they read and comment with fire if the story doesn't go the way they expected.

However I also see (and leave myself) pleas for feedback and little is still received. Some of the reasons posted here why people don't leave comments makes me scratch my head.

For me, it is less wether I leave a comment, because I try to leave them on every story I read, but the quality of my feedback may vary. I have found that the longer the story is, the less detailed my comment tends to be because I lose it by the time I get to the end of the story. So I prefer longer stories broken up.

However I also see (and leave myself) pleas for feedback and little is still received. Some of the reasons posted here why people don't leave comments makes me scratch my head.
Have you tried posting requests for feedback in this forum? It's not heavily used, but I'm on a kick to wake it up.

I've recently had terrific success with a request for specific feedback to a problem I found in one of my stories. I posted three sample paragraphs, and I crossposted a pointer to it in AH, which gets a lot more traffic, it seems.

Here it is: Request fo Suggestions

Have you tried posting requests for feedback in this forum? It's not heavily used, but I'm on a kick to wake it up.

I have, I got a few pings that were very helpful, but that is not what I had in mind.

I have found forum members here to be very giving and self-less of their time, and when asked for help more than willing to provide it.

But that doesn't translate to overall comment counts so I've been looking and studying this phenomenon with interest. I've had readers PM me to tell me how much they enjoyed certain parts of my writing, but when I asked if they left a comment they responded with, "Oh, I don't leave comments, haha!"

*face palm*

I can't help wondering what in the site's design and presentation discourages people from leaving comments directly?

I can't help wondering what in the site's design and presentation discourages people from leaving comments directly?
This site has a ton of user interface design problems (see my Hints), but I haven't noticed any flaws in the comments structure. It just goes with the amazing stats of how many commenters there are per readers in every environment.

If you get one comment that says 'Brilliant' but the rating is 3.1, surely the rating tells you more than the comment?
I have to side with @BgDaddy33 on this.

But more fundamentally, rating and comments are completely different beasts, and it's not as easy as "one is better than the other".

Ratings are a faceless statistic. They help authors and readers sort stories by - and that is key - how well they do on this particular site. And even that is subject to substantial randomness.
Either way, it is sorting, and on top of that, sorting apples and oranges (a literary masterpiece about something everyone except the author finds disgusting will get the same rating as someone who just drooled on their keyboard with a vacant stare).

A comment, by contrast, is feedback. At minimum, it's a human connection (even if it's just one word), ideally, it is an actual discussion of the work. Either way, it is engagement. You care enough about the story to interact with it.

Thus, of course, a comment is a committment few people are willing to make, prefering to add to the statistic.

Comments, unlike ratings, go both ways - instead of cheap, no risk judgment, you yourself may be judged. Yes, even on anon.

Many writers here seem to want nothing but praise (and I am happy to offer that if deserved.)

One philosophy I have seen was that "by default, assume people only want praise and no criticism (even constructive)". I have seen people argue it's downright rude to say anything at all unless it's gushing and cheering.

The reasoning being "if people post, assume they only do so to have a good time; don't spoil their fun".

I have also seen it compared to being invited to a party - if you think the party sucks or could be better, keep quiet and maybe just go home, rather than risk offending the hosts.

I suppose you have to develop a feel for the particular platform (easier said than done).
Ideally, authors put up some sort of "feedback encouraged" disclaimer (at the risk that people actually give you feedback).

Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?

For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - 😂)
I most definitely leave comments on most every story, unless I just think somehow the author is so far gone because I've tried working with that author before with comments, that it wouldn't make a difference. I always comment because I want the author to know what he/she did correctly, and what could have improved upon, if anything. I don't concentrate on grammar at the expense of all else, but it does make a difference: in fact, I've noticed a lot of comma splices and run-ons from a number of authors submitting lately that it's frankly surprised me. I've noticed that in the last 5 Years the use of the English language and proper grammar has degraded terribly, but seeing it here sometimes is a bit more shocking for some reason. However, I won't go overboard on grammar unless it's just something that stops the reading flow, or like the comma splices and run-ons makes you have to stop and think okay which piece went with what part? Mostly though, I evaluate the work based on what the author proposes in their premise, then that's what I'm going to look for.
I recently evaluated one work where the author proposed to do three things; the author succeeded brilliantly on the tone of the story, but missed totally the other two parts of developing the story. One of them was a very major thing the author proposed and she got about halfway through the story and you could tell it had just been totally dropped and forgotten about. And it was the type of thing that you don't just drop and not explain why you dropped it or just move on. Then the author also made several big mistakes because it was a historical fiction piece. And this really rated no better than 3. And it was like I kind of said without saying it the author had full control over the development of the work, yet just totally left those two big major pieces hanging out to dry. Sadly, the majority of the commenters only commented strictly on the tone or how it made them feel. My problem with that is is even when I was in high school not so long ago, we analyzed at least for five things: number one was the tone; number two, main idea; three, details...were there enough of them; four, transitions between paragraphs; five, conclusion. Now I'm not saying those commenters don't or shouldn't leave the comments, but if you just say oh well I really enjoyed reading this and you stop there.. how is that useful what details does it provide the author to grow on,? It doesn't! So, if the author nails a bunch of things, I'm not going to list everything they nailed necessarily, but I will comment on the salient points that really made the work pop if you will. If there are things that were wrong, I'll try to take maybe the two most glaring ones, but I'll leave more positive than negative every chance I can. I always thought that it was at least an excellent idea if you weren't disposed to leaving tons of information, that in professional speech deliveries and even on writing assignments, that you leave one positive comment and you leave one comment to improve upon. However, you should substantiate both with details.. which is exactly what a lot of the state-mandated testing in high schools and other institutions exists for. How is it useful if you can't explain it? So if you can't do that, I understand why you would not feel comfortable on commenting. But if you're going to also rail against the author without proof, how are you helping the author? You're just kind of beating your chest saying here I am and I can run somebody down, but how are you being constructive? So yeah, it needs to be balanced, and it needs to be fair.

I really enjoy talking about a story, so when I read a story I usually leave a comment in hope for a reply. Interesting enough most the time there is no answer from the author. I made this experience with older stories and new stories. Maybe the comment section is too complicated.

I really enjoy talking about a story, so when I read a story I usually leave a comment in hope for a reply. Interesting enough most the time there is no answer from the author. I made this experience with older stories and new stories. Maybe the comment section is too complicated.
which story you read recently?? i'll talk about it 😃😅😅..

I recently left a comment where I praised someone for two really fun plots twists, but also pointed out I wasn't a fan of how they wrote the story overall (too long for its content, "horny gushing stream of consciousness" proportion not ideal) while making it clear that was just my personal preference.
As a writer who appreciates intelligent comments I don't mind the former, but frankly, I don't care what your personal likes and dislikes are. They've got nothing to do with my story.

Depending how someone expresses their personal dislike, I'll let the comment stand (if it's courteous); delete the comment (if it's a moan); or add my own comment: "I'm sorry you wanted a different story, not the one I wrote. Here's your money back." They'll probably never see the comment, but makes me feel better.
Should I just have said nothing? I could have just left the praise, but that would have left out a very big portion of what I actually think. In that spirit, I hope I communicated that if that's what the author was going for, it's fine, and just not the sort of thing I personally like.
The author is under no obligation to cater for your dislikes. I don't mind critical comments on technique, but if all a comment is saying is, "You wrote a redhead, I don't like redheads," my response is (politely), "I don't care."

On the other hand, there was a story I recently bookmarked and looked forward to reading. The protagonist and premise seemed fun. Already from the start, there were things I didn't like and KNEW the author could have done better. I wanted to write a comment to that effect, but then paused - Who am I to tell them how to write? And also, what if nobody else agrees with my criticism and it's just an unhelpful, personal nitpick?
I picked it up again a little later, and dammit, there was a passage I found so unpleasant (a guy ranting about his "slutty" cheating ex girlfriend, written in a way to make the guy sound sympathetic) I decided to drop the story entirely. To make sure, I jumped to the middle of the story (several chapters) to see if I was missing out, and nope, the scene I landed on was not promising.
Should I have commented, or was it better I stayed silent?
I commend you being an adult reader of erotica, and backing out when you found something you didn't like. It's really not that hard to do.

Other end of the spectrum: There was one (claimed) autobiographical story I really loved, the comment that came to mind was "you absolute legend". I didn't post it, because - is that helpful? Does that not just ring hollow? I exaggerate a little, but is that not the literature comment section equivalent of a man yelling "nice ass!" at a random woman on the street?

It's not helpful from a literary" make me a better writer" point of view, but yes, writers have egos too, so why not?

If a reader asks an explicit question, I'll add a comment in reply. Otherwise, I generally won't respond, on the assumption that the reader probably won't come back to see it.

The site has promised threaded comments, but that'll happen when it happens.

I do the same! Always hoping to connect. I have gotten a few people DM me back a thank you to start a small dialogue. Always grateful.

There was one (claimed) autobiographical story I really loved, the comment that came to mind was "you absolute legend". I didn't post it, because - is that helpful? Does that not just ring hollow? I exaggerate a little, but is that not the literature comment section equivalent of a man yelling "nice ass!" at a random woman on the street?

Agreed with @ElectricBlue. Yes, you should absolutely validate a writer you appreciated. We all want to know that there is an audience for the stuff we are writing. NO, it is not the equivalent of yelling "nice ass!" at a random woman. The two examples are worlds apart.

Last edited:
Instead of whining and complaining that my latest story has received zero comments despite the warm score reception, I like to ask instead:

For those of you that DO leave comments: What motivates you to leave a comment? Do you focus on the technical, the overall experience, the constructive critique?

For those of you who DON'T usually leave comments: First of all no hate your way (please people, maybe we can learn something) - what would help turn that around? Is there any reason (experienced or heresay) that would keep you from commenting? For example, someone once told me that they didn't leave comments so that others wouldn't be able to see what he was reading and judge him for it. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your replies (now watch this get no replies - 😂)
I leave comments quite often. I like to comment on stories that peak my interests. If I like a story, I am always positive and encourage them to write more. If I don't care for a story, I move on. I have a number of stories posted on Lit and there are some wonderful comments and then there are the haters and the grammar police. I ignore the negative and move on.

How does one reply to a comment, except just to put a new comment in and quote the comment. The original commenter won't get notified. You can send a DM. Is that what you're talking about?

How does one reply to a comment, except just to put a new comment in and quote the comment. The original commenter won't get notified. You can send a DM. Is that what you're talking about?

Some authors will @username you in a new comment, but like you said, there will be no notification so you're likely to never see it.

The ones that I've connected with as I mentioned were all through DMs where they reached out to thank me for the comment I left.

Well, the way I see it there is no option to reply like in the forum. What you can do is to write your email adress into the comment if you want a reply. What I also tried is to write a member via the forum, which oddly sometimes doesn't work. Meaning the person has a profile but somehow writing this person is denied. Don't know what that is about.

From the author perspective, I used to reply to all comments when I was new to the internet, but then someone said "lol you reply to every comment u have no life" and ever since then I hardly ever do it.

EDIT: Of course over the years I learned what a "troll" is, but I still assumed there was a grain of truth in it and it's part of internet etiquette to only sparingly interact with comments on your content

The author is under no obligation to cater for your dislikes. I don't mind critical comments on technique, but if all a comment is saying is, "You wrote a redhead, I don't like redheads," my response is (politely), "I don't care."
That much is clear, though in some cases I am not quite sure what the author's intend was. In the case I talked about, it read to me as "objectively badly written", but it was so obviously someone writing down a fantasy unfiltered and with no regard for structure, story and the characters that I wondered of that was the sum total of what they had intended to do anyway.

That much is clear, though in some cases I am not quite sure what the author's intend was. In the case I talked about, it read to me as "objectively badly written", but it was so obviously someone writing down a fantasy unfiltered and with no regard for structure, story and the characters that I wondered of that was the sum total of what they had intended to do anyway.
I would wonder if I'd encountered an instance of "authenticity," as I define it.

I'd say a fair chunk of content here is exactly that, someone's fantasy, their first piece of erotic writing, written with very little skill or art.

Some readers get over-zealous in their public criticism of an amateur writer's ability to put a sentence together, and often get hostile about it, to the extent that those authors quit the site and stop writing. That's wrong, in my view.

This gets discussed often in the Feedback Forum and the Authors' Hangout.

Unless a writer expressly asks for literary or technical critique, I think readers should be sensitive when giving unsolicited critique. A reader has no idea of a writer's motivation for writing, no idea of their mental state, no idea whether a writer "wants to improve as a writer". In other words, be kind.

Sure, if a writer says, "Hey, tell me if my writing sucks," they're willing to cop it on the chin, but even so, criticism should always be civil.

What does gall a lot of writers when someone has a hostile go at their writing (be it about technique, style, content, whatever), is when the commenter has no stories of their own published. In other words, if you're going to take a shot, put your money where your mouth is - put yourself out there like the writer did, and show us how well you can write, show us that you have even half a clue of what it means when you press "Submit", show us why your opinion matters.

I would much prefer a conversation about plot and characters rather than if I have got punctuation wrong etc!

Back