Confused on the stars ratings

And if it's a standalone story, or a final installment in a series, then ratings are very strongly influenced by how much the readers liked the ending, much more than everything else that happened before.
This. I think the ending is probably the single biggest influence on votes and comments. And on word of mouth. WOM isn't much of a thing here, though it probably does happen. But it is about to get bigger with the new public lists and especially once they implement subscribing to lists. I could see that turning into the biggest way a story spreads and gets views after a while, aside from the "new" lists. If enough people jump on and curate quality lists, that could become more reliable than tags.

No matter how good a story is, if the ending leaves the reader flat, he's checked out before he gets to the place to click the stars or the comment box. Or if he gets there, he's more ambivalent about how good he remembers the story being. My latest story, the one with the crazy rate of votes and comments, had an ending that, if I do say so myself, is just killer.

But of course, an ending is only good if the story behind it is good. If you're going for a more 'literary' story, a good meaningful ending should help the engagement. For a simple stroker, ending with a bang will do it. Do the buildup, then make it happen, then just end it.

4.49 is the worst rating possible.

I've got one story that sits right on the edge of hotness. Each time it dips below 4.5 I keep checking to see if it went back up. When it sits right at 4.5, I keep checking to make sure it hasn't dropped.

So yes, I spend way too much time looking at these numbers!

~BT73

Well, don't do that.

I've got one story that sits right on the edge of hotness. Each time it dips below 4.5 I keep checking to see if it went back up. When it sits right at 4.5, I keep checking to make sure it hasn't dropped.

~BT73

~BT73
Tell me about it! I had a story that hung out at about 4.49 for around 2 years before it finally reached 4.5. Even if you're not obsessed about scores you can't help but get frustrated watching that.

I have several stories that bounce back and forth between a H and not every few weeks or months.
Tell me about it! I had a story that hung out at about 4.49 for around 2 years before it finally reached 4.5. Even if you're not obsessed about scores you can't help but get frustrated watching that.

Based upon what I write, I get one bombed very early, but the scores come up over time. My gauge is not score, but how many find me later, and save it as a favorite, find my other stories and do the same, and then start following me.

Just my thoughts

Back