Are there still sweeps?

Some of the things you might like to happen such as different categories and a better rating system are probably after-thoughts by the site admins. They probably kludged together a routine to "scrape" 1s from the ratings with some semblance of a logical algorithm, merely to appease those authors complaining.

But we don't pay anything for their time and efforts.
I'm sure there's bots crawling all over the system. I watch my numbers closely and have seen the pattern they take as a contest draws to a conclusion or the monthly awards are being determined. That's far too much work for a few techs to do, there's bots doing the work out there.

I'm sure there's bots crawling all over the system. I watch my numbers closely and have seen the pattern they take as a contest draws to a conclusion or the monthly awards are being determined. That's far too much work for a few techs to do, there's bots doing the work out there.
I posted an EDIT, saying I haven't seen the vote numbers change on my stories lately. They may have an automated routine. But the fact you can request a sweep means they apply that routine to an author's story.

I don't enter contests, so I think it's still a manual process. And since I don't complain about my ratings, they've probably saved some time by not bothering anymore to run that routine against my stories.

Thankfully, most places will only call the police once you start applying some tongue.
That made me gag a little bit. Those buttons are nasty!! Full of brown grime packed down in the little detents by a million shitty fingers--and salty as fuck with a sharp metallic after-sting. After a rain is the best time.

A couple weeks' back, one of my series received 1-bombs across every entry. One would think that if part 1 was hated so much, they wouldn't keep reading through to part 8, but hey. Okay.
One doesn't have to read the story to vote it.

That's wild to me. Seems like they'd at least make you click on every page in the story--or ideally have a timer to make sure the reviewer spent more than 30 seconds on the story.

Make it look to the reviewer like their vote registered, but don't actually add it to the tally.
The site may make the "reader" do that. I don't know. But some "readers" are so vested in trying to discourage some story themes or individual authors here that they will go through whatever hoops they have to to vote an unread story down with doing no more than checking to see it's on their hit list. I'm sure this is routinely done in the Loving Wives and Incest sections and, to some extent, in Anal, Nonconsent, GM, and Transgender. Even if the site will sweep anything that doesn't use the time reviewed requirements you mention, they do, I'm sure, let the initial vote stand until a sweep is done. That serves the downvoter's purposes. Most of the reading a story is going to get is while it's on a "New," "Hub," or "Contest" listing. By the time a "not-really-read" vote is swept, its intended damage is done and potential readership is cut down.

That's just reality on the Intrnet.

Last edited:
That's wild to me. Seems like they'd at least make you click on every page in the story--or ideally have a timer to make sure the reviewer spent more than 30 seconds on the story.

Make it look to the reviewer like their vote registered, but don't actually add it to the tally.
Not a good idea to speculate how sweeps work. If you clue to it, the trolls might too, and then the whole process gets blown open. Sweeps have worked since they've been introduced, so let's not break the site's system.

As far as I can tell (I haven't posted a lot in the last six months), sweeps still happen, but I think they happen less than they used to. A couple of years ago, in the summer of either 2021 or 2022, the Site went through an extended non-contest-timed sweep process over a period of weeks that resulted in the loss of many votes, to the degree that some authors started to worry, so it's possible they felt that by doing that they'd cleared many of the "false" votes out of the system and that less frequent sweeps would do the trick going forward.

How does one see the number of 1 bombs? BTW, as a reader I never give a 1.

The only way to know is to follow your scores very closely, to the degree you can tell that if your score dips from X to Y and the vote total goes up 1 you know it must have been the result of getting a 1.

The only way to know is to follow your scores very closely, to the degree you can tell that if your score dips from X to Y and the vote total goes up 1 you know it must have been the result of getting a 1.
Absolutely. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to numbers and excel and I manually check my scores every night and I can see when I get hit. I can also see a pattern in the sweeps but I keep track of that too.

Every night I down load the CSV from my works page and place it in a work book and you have the number of all the views, votes, and comments along with the score and you can review every day... any wonder why I like the Geek pride so much?

Back