Adding use of straight-walled cartridge and slug guns to muzzleloader season.

DroolinFool

Really Really Experienced
They don't allow it in my state. Michigan and a few others do and I was wondering where that legal/political push should come from? The Wildlife Resources Agency? Or find a Senator to sponsor it? I'm guessing it would require a bit of both to support such an amendment to state hunting laws. Any of you from states that permit these types of firearms have any insight into how it came to be in your state?

They don't allow it in my state. Michigan and a few others do and I was wondering where that legal/political push should come from? The Wildlife Resources Agency? Or find a Senator to sponsor it? I'm guessing it would require a bit of both to support such an amendment to state hunting laws. Any of you from states that permit these types of firearms have any insight into how it came to be in your state?
There are some powerful such cartridges out there:

.400 Legend as well. And being able to fit it and the 350 in an AR platform is another plus.
If I'm hunting Mule Deer out in the open I'll use my 7mmMag. If I'm in our local mountains like the Bitterroots I stick with one of my .30s

If I'm hunting Mule Deer out in the open I'll use my 7mmMag. If I'm in our local mountains like the Bitterroots I stick with one of my .30s
States like Michigan and a few others limit to straight wall and shotgun due to proximity of hunting territory to civilization. These rounds don't travel as far and lose lethality quicker than conventional bottle neck cartridges.

States like Michigan and a few others limit to straight wall and shotgun due to proximity of hunting territory to civilization. These rounds don't travel as far and lose lethality quicker than conventional bottle neck cartridges.
The only straight-walled cartridges I'm currently using are a .45 ACP, a hot-loaded .45 Colt, and 2 variations of 12 ga shotgun shells. I had a .45-70 rifle but sold it.

Straight-walled...jeezus, you guys are even homophobic about bullets 🤣

I must be missing something... why would you want straight walled cartridges and shotguns added to muzzleloader season? It's muzzleloader season; use a muzzleloader.

Any why would a Senator get involved in state hunting regulations?

...maybe this is a parody thread?

I'm confused. Is there a season for any and all uses of muzzleloaders? In which case, why? Or is it a season for hunting with muzzleloaders? In which case, why would anyone bother? You might as well hunt with a spear.

I'm confused. Is there a season for any and all uses of muzzleloaders? In which case, why? Or is it a season for hunting with muzzleloaders? In which case, why would anyone bother? You might as well hunt with a spear.
It's a settime in a hunting season where you can only use weapons designated as "muzzleloaders" I never have hunted with them, but it does add a challenge to hunting, and they are just as deadly as a modern rifle. Just a lot longer to reload if you miss...

I must be missing something... why would you want straight walled cartridges and shotguns added to muzzleloader season? It's muzzleloader season; use a muzzleloader.

Any why would a Senator get involved in state hunting regulations?

...maybe this is a parody thread?

https://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors/tfwc-to-consider-controversial-deer-hunting-rule-changes

Been on the docket in my state a few times. While they don't have the range of more modern cartridges, they are easier to clean, reload, and in some cases can multipurpose for multiple seasons. A few zones in Michigan and a few other states allow it and would be great to adopt it here, especially with harvest numbers during muzzleloader dwindling.

It's a settime in a hunting season where you can only use weapons designated as "muzzleloaders" I never have hunted with them, but it does add a challenge to hunting, and they are just as deadly as a modern rifle. Just a lot longer to reload if you miss...
Also a completely separate platform requiring different ammo (in multiple parts), different solvents for cleaning and care, and that reload time can inhibit ethical kill due to slow follow-up (if needed).

I'm not looking for that type of challenge. I'm removing as many does as possible during season to strengthen herd health. So running a 444 Marlin or 44 Mag in a long gun would make that much easier, ethical, and less expensive.

Also a completely separate platform requiring different ammo (in multiple parts), different solvents for cleaning and care, and that reload time can inhibit ethical kill due to slow follow-up (if needed).
Yep
I'm not looking for that type of challenge.
Me either
I'm removing as many does as possible during season to strengthen herd health. So running a 444 Marlin or 44 Mag in a long gun would make that much easier, ethical, and less expensive.
My approach is simple, I only take the high percentage shot. Hasn't failed me yet.

Back