The Strange and True Tales of the Count of Muldoon

LongshanksSierra

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Posts
482
I woke up underneath the moon with the tide at my knees and sand in my hair, which is to say a good deal better than I had on occasion before. My fingers wrapped around the scabbard of my rapier, thankfully still with-in reach, as I pulled myself to my kness and shuffled up out of the cold sea. The night was thankfully warm and the sand gave enough support for me to press upwards to my feet. The air thickened and swam around my head, but my sight cleared and I plodded onward up the beach; looking for sign of human inhabitation.

The sudden squall in the Agean dashed our ship upon unseen shoals, pitching me overboard as the corsair floundered and broke apart. I managed to cling to a piece of planking as the storm tossed me about in the dark sea. This was before I had achieved the title "Count of Muldoon," but of course after I had joined the war against the Turk. What modest fortune I had amassed in Constantinople was now gone, claimed by the depths, and while this was a constant thought in the back of my mind, the foremost thought at that particular time was of survival.

Adrift on a nameless shore, or so I had thought, I walked until my head cleared of brine. The air was full of the smell of the sea and the sound of the waves. Having enough of the sea for the time being, I found a gamepath that led inland. The thought of wild goats or boars wandering the island set my stomach rumbling, but food would have to wait a moment until I was sure of my surroundings. It was not until much later, and many more deserted islands, that I would discover just how wise a course of action this would be.

The first sensation greeting my senses that indiacted human habitation was the smell of cooking meat. Then came music, followed quickly by song and then laughter. Light from fires touched the edges of vision through the trees, and I began to realize I was approaching a small settlement, perhaps a village of some size. My ears began to form the sounds into the strands of discernible speech. Not suprizingly the speech that greeted me was Greek, but a strange dialect I had not encountered before. Of course, my Greek had never been the strongest of endeavors. However, I had never been at war with any Greek, so I moved forward towards ther music and laughter with only a passing apprehension and many thanks that my life had been spared from the Fates' shears for another day.
 
My bare feet padded on the sandy path that led towards the light and music. My hair was clinging close to my skull, thick with sand and saltwater. I knew I would look a mess, but living on an island these people would surely have seen a castaway before. My stomach fueled my expectations that they would be friendly to a poor lost soul.

Through the leaves, my eyes came to rest upon a small circle of villas in a small depression before me. In the center a large fire burned brightly, surrounded by several wooden tables laden with foods of all sorts. Brown breads, roasted goat and pork, fish of every variety was heaped in lusicous mounds. Jars containing, what I assumed to be, rich Greek wine appeared strewn about the plaza with reckless abandon. The villagers were out in abundance as well, as it appeared I had stumbled on some sort of festival. Men, women, and children were singing and dancing with an almost reckless abandon. The people wore rough cloth, tunics of some coarse fabric drawn up in simple attire. It was unlike the dress I had seen in Greek villages on the peninsula. A village elder seemed to be officiating over the ceremony, dressed in a large white tunic and wearing a laurel of green olive leaves. He carried a wine urn and was dispensing its contents among the revelers with laughter. The elder was attended by a score of young women wearing tunics of a similar color, their tunics however clung tighter to their bodies.

Having a clear sight of these people, and hearing more of their excited talk, I confirmed my earlier assessment. They were Greek, but again there was something off about the way they spoke it, a strange dialect possibly born out of their island region. As it was, I felt confident in my ability to approach and plead some Christian charity out of them. Afterall, there was a party going on, they would certainly be in a sharing mood.
 
I moved forward slowly, not wanting to unduly alarm the exotic revelers. My swordbelt had long disappeared, and I was forced to carry my sheathed rapier in hand. I made every effort to keep my manner as non-threatening as possible,m and moved forward into the village.

A small child spotted me first, eyes wide in fear or astonishment. As I tired to remember an appropriate greeting he, she... the child took off toward the central plaza and the celebration. I continued on, feeling the stubble on my cheeks and trying to smooth my unruly hair into an appearance more suited to a gentleman.

My arrival was apparently foretold, but it was heralded by a cessation of all music and dancing. Several dark eyes peered in my direction and a few steps were withdrawn. My immeadiate guess was that castaways were not a common occurance. I introduced myself with a bow, and waited for my unforunate hosts to take their part. After a brief and hushed disscussion among the men, the large fellow in the tunic and laurels approached. He peered at my face, I maintained indifference to the aroma of wine, and nodded his head.

To this day I can not correctly pronounce his full name, but let us call him 'Dono' for short.

My meager Greek was insufficent to the task at hand. I believed at the time that I had correctly relayed my unfortunate plight. That I had been abandoned by the fates on thier shores, and that I was a follwer of Christ seeking their good will. As a point of interest, the actual phrase we ended up on was "Son of God" as they seemed to not recognize the word "Christos." I remarked on this at the time as unusual, but as it seemed to have the desired effect, gave it no further notice.

Dono was all smiles, leading me to his own home as the party continued in full force. He explained that the village was in preparation for a larger, island-wide festival in a few days. An event I interepted as an annual local celebration of fertility in the wine harvest. He furthered explained that the island had not seen any visitors in quite some time, and that my arrival would likely be seen as a good omen for the upcoming harvest. I explained that I would be happy to do whatever I could.

After my affairs in Persian lands, one would have thought I could maintain more caution when dealing with locals.
 
As we passed through the village and into Dono's home, it became apparent to me just how removed from civilization these people were. This village was reminiscent of several I had seen in north-eastern Persia on the route to the Orient. They had almost no technological advancement beyond even those primitive tribes. There was very little iron, most of their metal seemed to be supplied in bronze or tin. Yet their pottery was advanced and in high use. At the time I attributed it to their isolation, but suspicions were starting to grow that things were not under their usual humor.

I was treated to a warm bath and a razor, along with a bottle of wine which improved my mood considerably. A servant provided me some clean clothes, a simple tunic with sandals, and was waiting to escort me back to the festival in the main plaza. I would have liked to retire for the night, but manners did dictate I honor the wishes of my hosts.

The festivities were still in full swing, but there was a odd moment of silence as I was escorted to the main pavilion and seated at a place of honor. Dono introduced two young girls that I took to be special servants as they both made sure I had plenty of wine and food always with-in reach. Dono made a speech which I could barely follow, but afterwards he indicated that tomorrow he would take me to their head priest. I thanked him for the honor, but remained curious as to why I would be taken to a priest instead of a near-by fishing village where I could arrange transport to the mainland. Good courtesy took the best of me and I did not press the issue. Food, wine, and my adventures on the sea had quite taken their toll on my will; shortly my eyelids were drooping with the requirements of the flesh. Eventually I was led to Dono's house and a bed of cedar posts and sheepskin blankets. I collapsed and let sleep overtake me, leaving the challenges of tomorrow for the sun.
 
Last edited:
The sun streaming inside a window managed to rouse me from deep slumber. My generous hosts had seen fit to let me recover fully from my ordeal before imposing any demands on my good nature. There was a young page boy waiting to see to my needs, a small repast and a shaving razor, before I was taken to Dono.

After inquiring as to my health, Dono suggested that we make for the main settlement of the island; a larger town more centrally located. It would be a long hike, he apologized, as the town lay at the base of the tallest hill on the island. I told him it was quite all right, and while dubious of leaving the sea shore, agreed to accompany him.

As we walked along several goat trails winding through the pleasant Mediterranean countryside, I made some inquiries as to the country in my broken Greek. I was of great interest as to why I should be presented to a priest instead of the local magistrate. Dono's reply was that the church was absolute authority in the area. Of note was the fact that when I asked if they were subjects of the Church of Rome, Dono replied that their clergy had severed ties with higher authorities some time ago. I will point out that I was still using a lot of inference during this conversation, but I took those statements to mean they were a protestant sect of the Greek Orthodoxy. Still hope was not lost at that point.

It was not until late that afternoon we arrived west of the main town, and to say I was astounded would be painting the portrait roughly. It was becoming very apparent that I was more than a few trots off the beaten path. The town was of sufficient size that it's incongruities with the rest of the world were beyond reason. The architecture was reminiscent of my visit to old Athens, and these people displayed a level of advancement no further than that of the fishing village. Absolutely no modern comforts were in sight, indeed it appeared to my eyes that these people had been transported here out of the pages of ancient Homer.

My apprehension increased as we reached the ‘church,’ and I was to discover it was not ‘church’ at all but a pagan temple. I was quite amazed at these turn of events, but did my best to conceal my reactions. There would be no telling how events would unfold if I rushed blindly about this foggy adventure. Although these revelations did bring understanding to some of my questions, they further aroused a new and more problematic set of quandaries. I decided the course of wisdom would be to react to the situation in front of me first, namely the introduction to their chief ‘priest.’

As Dono led me up the steps and inside the columns of the Temple, I was once again struck into awe. Only this time it was in a quite familiar and imminently more pleasurable manner. The chief of the clergy here was not a ‘priest’ at all, but a priestess. A vision of womanly perfection that quite took my breath as she glided down gleaming marble steps like a goddess descending from Olympus, and relegated now to imperfect if cherished memory.
 
I closed the distance between us; my steps made no noise against the polished marble. When I reached Dono and the stranger, the one I had heard the slaves and villagers speaking of last night, I knew that he was indeed a sign that the gods were pleased with us. They had delivered a fine specimen to our shores, one that was more pleasing up close as I was now then when I admired him as he walked toward the temple.

My hazel eyes held his for a moment and my lips rose in a welcoming smile. I glanced at Dono, thanking him for bringing the gift to the temple, thus marking the true beginning of our celebration. Once I introduced myself as Honoria, I summoned Junia with a simple clap of my hands. I quickly told her to prepare our best rooms, knowing that fresh water, wine and fruit would always be ready for our esteemed guest.

A soft breeze moved through the room, lifting a few stray strands of blonde hair from my shoulders. I quickly tucked them behind my ear, and led Dono and our guest to my private courtyard. Once there I asked both men to accompany me in a repast of light refreshments; the covered shelter protected us from the heat of the day, which was rapidly growing to become quite balmy.

I tried to be at ease with the stranger. He was after all a gift from the gods, yet I felt uneasy. His mannerisms were more foreign than any I had ever beheld, but then I again, I told myself, I was a young priestess, new to my position, so this oddity I was sensing could have been something that others were quite use to. I found myself intrigued with this man and looked forward to the celebrations that would honor both him and our gods.

The aroma of steamed fish soon filled the courtyard and I looked up to see Amilia baring a platter full of the finest catch that morning, as well as the thickest wedges of cheese and slices of warm bread. Another temple slave followed behind her, a moppet of dark curls were all we saw of this lesser woman as she poured goblets of wine for us to enjoy.

When the three of us were again alone, I smoothed down the bleached white tunic I had chosen to wear and tightened the braided rope that was wrapped twice around my waist. After taking care of my appearance, I felt ready to serve our esteemed guest; I smiled and asked his name as well as what foods he would wish to sample first.
 
The Priestess, Honoria if I captured her name correctly, led me and Dono to a secluded atrium in the temple. Serving girls, all lovely but none that stole my eye from our guide, brought food and drink aplenty. We reclined into smart couches as they served bread and cheese.

Honoria asked me my name, and I wasn't sure if the translation was right but we did finally manage to land on 'Muldoon' for suitable purposes. Even if it wasn't my born name, it was the one I had become associated with. Honoria's eyes seemed to weigh heavily on me, oddly curious and full of evaluation. I attempted to keep my reactions polite and urbane, even if the temple maidens word tunics more... diaphanous... than the gentle ladies of lands I was more familiar with.

Although the fish smelled enticingly, my time at sea had abated my appetite for it, so I settled primarily on the bread and cheese. Taking just enough fish to not offend my hosts.

Not wishing to appear ignorant of their religious customs, I began to work around the subject of their festival. If they had any special plans, or if there was any way I might lend assistance. Honoria and Dono shared looks I could not interpret. From Honoria's responses I gathered that I was here for a rather special purpose, or ceremony, but manners (or good common sense) dictated I not press the issue. But her descriptions on the nightly festivals had me considerably intrigued.
 
Last edited:
I watched Muldoon eat his fill. The way he conversed with Dono and myself told me he was comfortable in the presence of those who held rank. He paid little attention to the slave girls, something that pleased me more than it should have. His dialect was confusing and at times I found myself misinterpreting his words. This did not worry me overmuch, for I knew there would be time for us to communicate again; perhaps when the “newness” of our meeting was behind us we would both find ourselves entertaining the other with stories of our lands. I knew he was different than any gift the gods had presented to us before and I longed to find out why he was so special.

After our meal I dismissed Dono and watched as he bowed to Muldoon. I smiled warmly at him and accepted the bow he gave to me as well. When he left I motioned for Muldoon to follow me. I knew his quarters would be ready and I wished to show them to him myself, though a lowly slave could easily have done the job.

When I was confident that he understood that he was to walk with me, I began a tour of the temple which also served as my private quarters. We left the courtyard and made our way back through the large foyer where I had greeted the gift. I shared with him some of the history of the temple and how this week’s celebration was to honor Dionysis. Though we had touched briefly on the subject during our meal I still felt that Muldoon did not quite understand his roll in our celebration. He did not seem overjoyed, something that surprised me. He was after all, the Gift. All our people prayed for the honor to have the gods’ blessings, but yet Muldoon seemed unaware of his importance.

I hoped during the course of the week’s festivities he would come to embrace his position and become as excited as I was. We traveled the various halls that made up the bottom portion of the temple. I pointed out the door that would lead him out of the temple and onto a path to the cook house, where all the meals were prepared. We then passed a room where a few of the oldest and wisest worked on scrolls. They worked nonstop on most days, writing down the history of my people. I squeezed Muldoon’s arm, as I explained that on this day one scribe was already hurriedly adding his names to the scrolls. My smile was wide and I knew my face had to show my pleasure at this wonderful news.

I urged him from the room, promising that he could return here again during some later hour. The bath house was our next stop and I showed him how the water was heated by stones that lay under the decorative mosaic pool. A slave kept the fires burning so when ever Muldoon wished to bathe there was no need to summon anyone to prepare his bath.

Eventually we took to the stairs, where I explained to Muldoon that his quarters were on this floor. I pointed to the far end of the hall and shared with him that mine were opposite of his. Jalin passed us and I asked if the Gift's rooms were ready; she quickly answered that they were. I tried to contain my excitement, but I was anxious to see Muldoon’s reaction to his fine quarters. I knew once he saw the private bedroom, sitting room, and balcony that overlooked the lake and its beautiful gardens, he would understand his importance to our people and our gods.

We stepped into the room, three walls surrounded us, but one was open. The panels pulled back so that the breeze could cool the room. The scent of various flowers lifted from the garden floor and was pushed into the room by the gentle winds. I looked to Muldoon hoping to see pleasure written on his face, but longing more to hear and understand his words of praise.
 
The tour of the Temple conformed beyond doubt my earlier suspicions that somehow these people had missed out on several centuries of advancement. The library was full of scrolls, not a bound book to be seen. Honoria squeezed my arm, rather brazenly for a gentlewoman, as she explained scribes were recording my arrival. Again I assumed that they had not seen a shipwrecked sailor for some time. The pride with which Honoria showed me the heated baths, as luxurious as it looked, indicated that she had never seen metal piping before either.

I smiled and nodded at the appropriate times during the tour, it wasn?t a hard task. Honoria smiled easily and infectiously. I was curious as to how so young a lady came into a position of authority, but settled myself with the answer that she must have been born into the right family. 'Nobility' still held a firm hold on many parts of the world.

When we at last arrived at what Honoria described as my quarters, I was truly astounded. The rooms were quite luxurious, more than satisfying the demands of shelter a poor and wayward soul. Their charity, while being quite welcome, was also quite beyond expectation. I was again curious as to what exactly my role as 'honored guest' would be during this festival. These people were certainly making every effort to ensure my comfort.

I did my best to emphasize my gratitude to Honoria, placing proper Christian humility at the lavishness of my surroundings. Taking a few steps into the domicile, I requested if there would be any further celebrations tonight.
 
I tried to control my obvious excitement as Muldoon took in his surroundings and then seemed to be very pleased with the way his room had been readied for him. I knew then that the gods too were pleased and that only meant that the festivities for the week were going to be blessed as well. When he asked about the celebration and if there would be one that evening, I shook my head yes and quickly launched into an explanation of what would occur.

I told him about the parade through the city and how he would be presented to the people, dressed in a toga of rich blue, a silver clasp with brilliant jewels would hold it to his body, which would be prepared by the women of the temple. I hoped my words were ones he could understand, I still held doubt that we were speaking the same language, but he did not show fear, so I assumed he had to understand most of what I was saying.

Lifting my hand I motioned to the balcony and then took his hand in mine. We walked to the edge of the structure and I swept my hand across the gardens, pointed out the village and then explained that several ladies would be there to welcome him and praise him for gracing us with his presence. He was after all a gift to our Gods and we were very thankful for him. We wanted to keep him happy, so he knew how loved he was.

I still held his hand and as he gazed out at the beauty that surrounded us, I stopped to examine the feelings that were slowly beginning to unnerve me. I had not been close to a stranger such as Muldoon before and now I found myself unwilling to leave his side. I had taken him through the temple and shown him his rooms, but that was normally something any slave girl could have done, yet I was drawn to remain at his side.

What would happen this evening when he was pulled into the arms of the more knowledgeable ladies? How would I feel? I knew then that something was wrong with me, but again I pushed it away, refusing to acknowledge that I wanted to keep the stranger to myself. I noticed the position of the sun and knew that Muldoon would need to rest before he was readied for the journey down to the village. “Rest,” I told him, then bowed, kissed the top of his hand and then released him and stepped back. I licked my lips and blushed as the taste of his salty flesh tickled my tongue.
 
Honoria seemed a little flushed after leaving me to my quarters, and I confess I was slightly unsettled myself. She was a beautiful woman, and normally I had no qualms about spending time with a beautiful woman, but I did not want to offend my hosts either. Not when they were being so generous.

I decided a little rest wouldn't hurt, particularly since I did not know what the evening held. A reclining couch in the sitting room offered a comfortable nap, and I dozed off with the breezes from the gardens coming in.

After an undeterminable amount of time, hours I suppose, a padded step alerted me to a visitor in the room. Another girl, one of the temple's servants, was watching me patiently. A brief introduction later she indicated that she was here to show me to the baths so I could cleanse myself for the tonight's festivals. I was escorted back to the decorative pool, where another serving girl was laying out scented oils and washing cloths. It took a moment, and my escort offering to take my tunic, to realize the servants had every indication of remaining here during my bath. I tired not to show my surprise, but managed to communicate that I preferred to bathe alone. My meaning appeared to translate, for they did leave me alone to sink into the hot water alone.

Once again I was lost in my musings about this place. It was very luxurious and inviting, and concepts of modesty aside, I was starting to enjoy my time here.
 
As time slipped by, the sun lowering itself closer to the horizon and the moon’s welcoming presence making itself known, I knew the feelings I had for Muldoon were not ones that would please the gods. I spent many hours in prayer, offering burnt offerings to them, asking for their guidance in what I knew would be a trial for me to endure. When a calming presence filled me, I hoped it was a sign that I’d found favor with the gods and would be rewarded with their love and generosity. Upon leaving the alters, I moved to my rooms, disrobed and washed away the day’s heat and dust from my body in a small tub that had been dragged to my room an hour before. It’s water was tepid, but it helped to cool the ardor I was feeling for the Gift.

When I felt it time to seek out Muldoon and escort him to the others, I quickly braided my hair, allowing a young girl to weave strands of pearls into the thick locks. A toga of pale green was brought to me and I used a gold clasp to keep its folds wrapped loosely about my figure. I asked where Muldoon was and learned he was bathing. A rush of excitement fluttered its way into my system; quickly I chastised myself and thanked the slave girl, before sliding on a pair of tightly woven sandals with turquoise jewels nestled in their center.

I reached the baths and was surprised to see Muldoon still relaxing, but what shocked me more was the fact he was not being attended. A look of disapproval filled my features, and I knew that someone would have to be punished for ignoring the Gift and his needs. Without thinking of what it meant for me to be alone with him, in such an intimate setting, I moved forth and slipped to my knees. I was not sure if he was aware of me or not, so I coughed softly, and reached for a small cleansing pumice stone as well as some bathing oils.

“Muldoon. . .may I?” I nodded to his back, and pushed softly on his shoulder with the stone, hoping he could not feel the trembling of my fingers as they brushed against his wet flesh.
 
Lost in my own thoughts, I was suddenly pulled back into the real world by the mention of my name. Honoria's fingers pressed into my skin, easing a cleansing stone across my shoulder. For a head priestess, she displayed an usual sense of propriety. The demands of dignity and honor would have had me send her away, or at the very least seek some form of modest covering. However, looking up at her features, feeling the tenderness of her touch, I found the objections dying on my lips.

Instead I managed to reach up to brush my fingers over her hand, and breathe out a word of thanks. There was much about this place that I found unsettling, but I began to push those thoughts away. Whatever Honoria's plans for me were, for the moment I would trust her intentions. Tonight's festival was of special importance to her, the sound of her voice earlier as she had tried to describe the ceremonies to me clearly indicated that. At that moment I decided I would try to make this festival all she hoped for.

I pulled Honoria's slim hand down to my lips and kissed it gently, wondering if I could convey my affection for her properly.
 
To say I was unaffected by the way Muldoon showed his gratitude would have been a lie. I most certainly was. The look in his eyes, the tenderness of his lips upon my skin and the way he gently held my hand in his, made my entire being tremble. I felt the lids of my eyes close several times and the hue of my skin grow brighter. I licked my lips, smiled softly and nodded my head. I could tell he appreciated my ministrations, but I worried he could see the desire that his mere presence was doing to me.

It was not wise of me to have feelings for the Gift. He was for our people and for the gods and goddesses; he was not for me. Gently I pulled my hand away, my lips remained firm in their smile. I continued to wash the evidence of dust and dirt that had collected on Muldoon, making sure to keep my caresses soft and knowing, but not too personal. By the time I was done, with Muldoon’s back and arms, my skin was on fire and my breath quick.

The man, I told myself, probably thought I was a foolish girl who didn’t know her place. I handed the stone to Muldoon and with my words and my hands, explained to him that he would need to wash the rest of himself. If the other women of the temple had not left him alone, they would have done the job - having him stand and present himself, so their hands could massage out the tension of his muscles while cleansing his flesh. I could have done this chore alone, but I knew deep in my stomach that I could not do so without distraction.

I rose from the stone floor and made my way to the opposite side of the bathing pool. “Your garments for the evening,” I said, reaching down to tenderly fondle the cloth that one of the women had graciously left on a marble table. A pair of sandals rested on the floor next to the table. “I will send in someone to assist you,” I added. Turning away I hurried toward the exit and then stopped to look back at the Gift. For the first time I truly regretted his arrival, not because his presence was a bad omen, it was a magnificent one, but I knew I would forever miss Muldoon. . . something that I had never thought of when presenting the gods with other gifts. It was with a heavy sigh that I turned back and left Muldoon alone.

When I passed one of the slave girls, I ordered her to his side and told her to serve him well, for he was the most special gift we’d ever been graced with.
 
When Honoria turned to regard me as she was leaving, her eyes were an uncertain mixture. Fondness was there, perhaps even desire as well, but what struck me more was the tinge of sorrow and regret. I sank back into the pool as she left, dismissing the salve girl that sought to coax me out of the water. Had it been Honoria I might have forgotten the tenets of civility between us. As it was I still could not adapt to these local customs, even on the effort of not offending my hosts.

However, I knew the time of luxuriating in the warm water was at an end. Whatever this festival was before me, and my apparent role in it, the waiting time was drawing to a close. I rose from the pool, shaking the excess water from me before wiping myself dry. The robes laid out for me were simple in form, but elegant and rich in style and texture. I dressed slowly, taking time to make sure the garments adjusted properly. The sandals were comfortable, and far easier to accomplish.

A serving girl was waiting for me outside and, with what I took for a lingering look of approval over me, she escorted me through the torch-lit halls of the temple. Music was coming from somewhere, a cacophony of horns and drums. As the music grew louder it was slowly accompanied by the frenzied noise of human voices. Greek tongues were singing and laughing, and occasionally an enthusiastic shout rose up. The serving girl handed me off to two more escorts. Both girls were finely dressed in robes similar to mine and led me to a set of wide double doors. The light streaming in through the doorway was from a large bonfire burning beyond. I finally discovered that the doorway lead back out into the city proper, and directly into a large plaza. Around the bonfire a large fete was already in process. A drunken revelry circled the fire, with both men and women freely partaking in drink and cavorting to the music. At my appearance in the doorway a great cheer went up through the host, which only served to heighten my apprehensions. I could not fathom what was going on.
 
I watched the Gift, Muldoon, as he was led to the celebration. It had been reported to me that again, he’d declined help in the preparation of himself and a part of me was glad of this. No one had touched him the way I had. The flush of my skin could easily be felt by myself, but I knew others would think it the wine and the celebration. It was far from it though, it was because of the Gift that my body had been heated.

His gaze shifted from one group of merry makers to another and I could see his unease. A part of me wanted to walk over to him, take his hand and lead him away, another wanted to be by his side and parade him about, show him off and hear the pleasing words that would fall from the lips of the people. An even larger part, a place deep in my heart screamed for me to run with Muldoon and keep him from the gods.

To steal the Gift though... I cast my gaze from Muldoon’s figure and stared at my feet... stealing the Gift would be the ultimate sin against them and my people. It was something I could not do. I took a deep breath and resigned us both to fate as I stepped out and passed the first of many that were slowly beginning to disrobe.

The sound of a sharp squeal made me turn and I watched as one woman was lifted into the strong arms of our most-favored carpenter. His fingers pawed at her robe as she tried to release the strings that kept her bosom hidden. I smiled at their play and knew in time the man would find what he sought, especially since another was approaching the giggling couple. I shook my head, knowing I would not be allowed to enjoy in the celebration until Muldoon had been seen to. It was my responsibility to make sure he was prepared.

I made my way past a fountain where four women had disrobed and set on the edge of its beautiful marble design. Their fingers toyed with their sexes, their own and their friends'. One girl, a small woman, had her lips pressed against the pulse that beat under another woman’s ear. I saw the tip of her tongue snake out to sample the other female's skin. A shiver of excitement went through me, but I pushed it back. Tonight was not for me, it was for Muldoon and the people. I winked as two men openly kissed and fondled each other. A soft chuckle could be heard coming behind a pair of naked statues. I didn’t need to see what was happening, the sounds of several revelers could easily be heard. Their grunt, groans and cries of passion were easy to distinguish over the music that played richly through the air.

By the time I reached Muldoon’s side, my desire and wants were heightened. I nodded to the girls and took their place. My arm slipped through his, looping gently. “This way,” I whispered and led him past the same scenes of exploration that I’d seen. My skin grew warmer as I walked this path with the Gift. My tongue snaked out several times to moisten the soft petals. To say I was not aroused by the sights, smells, sounds and the man beside me would have been a falsehood. I was very much in sync with what my body craved, it was my mind and heart I was fighting.

We reached a platform where several tables and chairs had been set up. They were decorated with various wild flowers and the mounds of food were unlike any we had on normal days. The rich desserts and spicy meats had been prepared just for this celebration. I showed Muldoon his place at the table and then took the one next to him. My hand rested gently on his arm as I motioned for him to watch what came next.

The four girls from the fountain rose and approached the table. They stopped a few feet away and the music, as well as all other sounds, ceased. A voice came out from the crowd. It was deep and thick with emotion as it began to sing. The man stepped clear of the group. His words poured through us all and we watched in fascination as the women began to dance slowly at first. Each one moved in time with the man’s words. I’d seen this performance before, several times really. I knew the women would soon be consumed by the passions that flowed through them and the man would benefit from their desires as would the group that became entranced with their sensual movements.

I glanced at Muldoon. Was he effected by this beautiful display? Did he now understand how special he was? I squeezed his arm and smiled widely. "All of this is for you," I told him, not sure if he understood or not. My desire was to please him and I hoped he was pleased.
 
I was glad to have Honoria back by my side, her presence was both welcome and comforting. That was, however, until she led me through the celebration. These were scenes I was quite unused to, and all the discipline I had acquired was used to prevent my absolute shock from showing. I searched all the words I had learned for such activity, but came up distressingly short. Honoria, however, seemed quite content. In fact she seemed rather flush.

As we sat at the table, I tried to fix my face in a pleased expression while Honoria gestured to the approaching women. I watched as they surrounded the singer, moving closer to him as they continued to pleasure each other. My body started to react to the scene, against my will and better judgment, when Honoria squeezed my arm, leaned over, and whispered in my ear. With my thoughts distracted all I made out was the warmth of her breath on my neck. In response, which I hoped it was a correct one, I raised her hand to my lips and kissed it gently before letting it return to my arm. As the four women began to caress the singer, I tired to focus my thoughts.

Now, I knew that I had some part to play in this festival and I was beginning to suspect it would have something to do with the actions I was now witnessing. Was going to be expected to join in their carousing? Would it be with Honoria?

I believe I can say without besmirching what honor remains to me, that the idea of enjoying such pleasures with her was an enjoyable experience.
 
In the beginning I wasn’t sure if Muldoon understood what was happening. He seemed false in his pleasure. His smile was different. Then I felt his body change. I was surprised by this ability... this ability to sense him. I had never sensed another as deeply as I was Muldoon. When his lips touched my hand, my breath became lodged in my throat. I turned to look at him, but his eyes were focused on the group of erotic dancers. I blinked back my shock. The intensity of his soft skin upon my flesh was more than I expected. How could I continue through the events of this night? How could I deny my people though? I warred with these demons as the dancers and the singer reached a crescendo in their act. I shook my thoughts away and stiffened my shoulders. I had to remain in control of myself. My people were depending on me as was Muldoon. I was here to set him at ease. I had to do that, no matter what it mean to my own person.

I returned all my attention to the entertainers or as much as my soul would allow. The man was barely conscious. The women were pouring themselves onto him. One caressed his buttocks with her fingers, lips, teeth, tongue. Another shared his thick member with the smaller of the dancers. The two women slowly danced another melody along his skin, this time only their soft moans and little laps of tongue were the instruments. The last woman alternated her talented fingers and mouth between the man’s nipples. I glanced at the audience and could tell some were missing, having chosen to respond to the dance in private. Others were openly caressing each other, and even more were engaging in the acts of erotica that this celebration was known for. I knew it was time to recollect the attentions of the people and present Muldoon to them, but I didn’t want to. Again I wanted to hide him away and keep him for myself.

A movement to the left of us caught my eye and the music of my people began again. The man and the dancers melted into the crowd. I knew they would not return until it was time for the end of the celebration. Less eyes on Muldoon, it should have thrilled me, but it didn’t for I knew what the end meant and for the first time in my life, I wanted no part of it. The crowd recognized the music and their explorations of each other stopped. I took a deep breath and rose. My hand slid easily from Muldoon’s arm down to his hand, where I interlaced our fingers. I took a deep breath and tugged on him gently, hoping he would rise easily. He did and I smiled my thanks.

I led him from the table and away from the largest part of the group. We moved through a natural alcove of trees, bushes, and fragrant flowers, emerging on the other side to face a large open room that was decorated with more blooming plants and a bed of thick pillows and silky coverings. I took Muldoon over to the pillows' edge.

A few seconds past before a small group of our most trusted, honored, and distinguished officials entered the secluded area. They nodded to me and I gave them back a reassuring smile. I wish it was as reassuring as it was supposed to me. I turned to face Muldoon and eased my robe from my body as two women came forth to assist Muldoon out of his as well.
 
As the 'entertainment' seemed to be winding down, Honoria led me away from the group setting to a secluded spot with s large silken bed with a harvest of pillows. Following us, small group of well-dressed officials entered the area. An unspoken agreement passed between the officials and Honoria, before her smiling face turned to regard me. With smooth and unrestrained motions, Honoria's robes slid off her body to pool at her feet. I was not fully expecting this, but with the previous events of the evening it did not surprise me greatly either. With her flawless naked beauty before me, I barely noticed as the two attendants moved forward to remove my clothing as well. The robes were of such simple design that they fell away from my body easily, and it registered briefly that they had likely been designed thus.

The officials moved over to circle a small marble statue, which to my mind represented Dionysus, and raised their voices in what I took to be some prayer or benediction. Unfortunately I was unable to decipher their words as my thoughts were elsewhere. One of them splashed some deep, red wine from a large goblet onto the statue then placed the remainder at its feet. The group then filed out, throwing unabashed looks at Honoria and myself. For a moment I believed that my part in this ceremony would be spared spectators, but a dozen of the temple's female attendants positioned themselves in pairs at the entrances to the atrium.

I wanted to assure the priestess that this was not necessary, and even if my words were short I tired to convey warmth and respect. My body, however, was belying my desire. I had not wanted to offend my strange hosts but action, or inaction. But now it seemed that I was being allowed, no, encouraged and expected to join with the beauty before me.
 
I wish I could say I felt the eyes of my people on me, and that their presence was reassuring to the act that I was to perform on and with Muldoon, but that was not the case. Instead I wanted all their prying eyes turned away and I wanted to be with Muldoon in my quarters, enjoying the things we were about to do, in private. It was selfish of me, I admit that, but I still craved it. My desires, my cravings. . .were left unanswered as the group of women waited patiently for me to begin.

Muldoon stood before me, his robes now gone. His words were soft and I longed to understand what he was saying. But I knew by the tone in his voice he was not angry with me or my people. His body also showed his desire to be pleased by me. I was thrilled with the knowledge for until this point I truly didn’t know how Muldoon felt about the upcoming events. Now though as I took in his aroused state, I knew my fears were for naught. If Muldoon was willing to handle prying eyes, then so was I. After all, I was the priestess and this was expected of me.

I moved closer to him, closing the distance between us with just a few small steps. My hand reached for him. My palm rested on his chest. My fingers curled against his chest and I toyed with the hairs that grew there. His body was so different then the men of my world. His flesh was covered in a soft downy fleece. Not too thick and not too thin, but perfectly fit for his frame. This was foreign to me. The men I had known before, their bodies were bare of all hair, except on their sexes, even then the men shaved away all traces of it, leaving only the hair on their heads. But Muldoon was so different in so many ways, how could I not take a moment to explore him?

My fingers moved back and forth across his chest. My nails grazing gently through the strands that seemed to want to curl around me. I licked my lips, curious as to what those hairs would feel like under my lips, or my cheek. I glanced up at Muldoon. What was he feeling? I wondered. I knew his body craved a woman’s touch, but what were his thoughts? I leaned in and did what I had wanted to for some time. I kissed him.

Oh, I wish I had the words to express the sensation that coursed through me. The taste of him was unlike anything I’d supped from before. My tongue traced the shape of his mouth and eventually he parted his lips for me and allowed me to explore further. I took that as a sign of encouragement and moved my other hand to his swollen sex. My fingers wrapped gently around him and I rested my palm against his flesh, holding still as I waited for him to adjust to the feel of me against him. I knew not how experienced Muldoon was, and though I wanted nothing more than to feel all of him inside me, I knew I could not rush this gift the gods had bestowed on me. Muldoon was a gift to my people. . .yes, but this moment, this experience I was going to hoard for myself in as many ways as I could. . . even with prying eyes.
 
Honoria's hand encircled my growing manhood with a firm and gentle touch like I hadn't felt in a long while. It had been some time since I had been with a woman, and my body eagerly responded to the long absent touch. For a moment I savored the taste of her lips on mine, and the passion behind them.

My hands brushed lightly up her arms, brushing the feel of the soft smooth skin. I gripped her shoulders lightly and pulled her closer to me. I pressed my tongue back against hers, and furthered my exploration of her body by moving inside her mouth. I felt a soft breath escaped her lips, and I moved one of my hands to the back of her neck. I pulled my lips from hers and trailed them back along her jaw, tasting the heady scent of whatever scents she had perfumed with earlier.

Perhaps it was due to the exotic situation, and strange and unfamiliar territory I was in. Perhaps it was due to the girl's exquisite beauty. Normally I take such situation with more reserve, or at least more privacy, but in this instance cool reason seemed to leave me. I pulled Honoria to me as my lips traveled down her neck in small pulling kisses.
 
The feel of his lips and the taste of his mouth as his tongue danced with mine made me moan with undisguised desire. I no longer cared who watched us; I simply felt the euphoria of two people coming together to learn and explore something deep and rich. His mouth left mine and a whimper escaped me as I felt the loss of his touch. Within seconds I was shivering again with another wave of need; his lips traveled across my jaw. I leaned into him, almost as if I knew I could not support my own weight. Somehow though, I did remain upright.

My hands remained still for a moment as I basked in the warmth of his kisses and the heat that radiated from his body. In time though I too wanted and needed more of him. My lips sought out their own place to explore and I leaned down further to run my tongue along his shoulder. The taste of his flesh reminded me of the island we were on. Was it the air that caressed his skin? The flowers that bloomed around us? The foods we had eaten? I could not tell, but I knew I wanted to taste all of him.

I stepped back, my fingers trailed away from his chest while my other hand stroked the hard staff that occasionally jerked in my hand. I freed them both, then took his hand in mine and motioned for him to sit down on the thick bedding. Once I joined him, we both faced each other on our knees. I returned to his mouth, taking a moment to learn the feel of his teeth, the texture of his tongue and again renew the taste that I seemed to now crave.

A slight cough could be heard coming from someone behind me and I knew they wished for us to speed up the process. Inwardly I smirked. I was the Priestess, they were going to have to wait. I was far from ready to give up this man to the gods. My mouth left his and I began to weave a path down from his lips to his throat. I sucked gently on the flesh, licked at the hollow and then swept tiny nibbles across the left collarbone.

Inside my body was on fire. I felt the moistness of my desire threatening to spill out. My inner walls clenched tight, trying to hold back the nectar that I wanted to save for Muldoon and I wondered... who was being more punished by forcing a slow joining? Me? Muldoon? The council?
 
My hand ran through the blond tresses of her hair as Honoria's lips traveled over my body. Each moment her lips played along my flesh my desire for her grew, and I knew that soon that desire would overcome any further restraint on my part. My aroused flesh wavered in the air between us, occasionally brushing her skin as she moved closer to me.

My hands then wandered slowly down her body, slowly encompassing every curve. My fingers trailed lightly down her spine and I bent my head forward to kiss her ear, then moved lower to her neck. Somehow we gently melted down towards the bed and I took a moment to let my eyes wander over the sight of her body. My hand rested on her hip, enjoying the feel of the smooth skin before running down over her thigh and pulling the leg towards mine. Our bodes entwined slowly, and I felt the aroused state of her bust press into my chest.

Our lips met each other's again, quickly followed by our tongues dancing. As much as I enjoyed every sensation of her skin against mine I knew it was not to last so I drank in every bit of pleasure while I could, determined to make the moment last as long as possible. My fingers ran lightly over her hip and brushed down between her legs. She spread them slightly, leisurely, almost invitingly. I could feel the warm flesh of her, aroused and sweet to the touch.
 
His touch seemed to burn through me. A part of me, a large part, never wanted this to end, and another part, a hungrier, more demanding part screamed at me to hurry. I wanted to go slow; I needed to. But as his fingers trailed across my skin I knew I was lost. For a moment my heart stood still as did my fingers. I opened my eyes and saw just over Muldoon's head, a statue.

It was a statue of one of the gods. It was then that I knew a part of me was dying inside; I pressed Muldoon down onto his back and looked at him. I smiled softly, lowered my head and kissed his lips. My legs were entwined with his, I moved slightly, raising myself so I could look down at him. I swallowed the lump in my throat and closed my eyes on his features. Features that beckoned me more than those of the stone gods that surrounded us.

My hair fell down, creating a soft covering for us, a golden veil that glistened in the light. I didn't notice it, for all I could see was the man under me. I disentangled my legs and moved down his body. My lips marked his chest with tender kisses. My fingernails grazed down his ribs, across his stomach and then back to rest at his hips. My teeth nipped at flesh kept hidden by the long tresses that seem to know I wanted privacy.

As I slipped down his frame, my fingers and mouth continued exploring. I tasted his flesh, licked at the evidence of his arousal and moaned softly at the taste. The tips of my fingers toyed with the curls of hair that were both soft and course, a strange phenomenon for me, since I had never been with a man who had left his body as nature had intended. The taste of him however lingered on my tongue and I knew where to find more. I returned my attentions to the hard shaft that stood rigid and ready for my perusal.

One hand moved to cup the velvet sack under the base of his sex and I pressed gently on the spheres that were nestled inside. I toyed with them, rolling them back and forth, pushing them up into his skin and then massaging them again. As I teased him with my fingers, my mouth opened and I took in the soft tip of his shaft. My eyes moved to lock with his. I held still for a moment, looking for some sign and when I thought I had seen it come from him, I descended down on his sex and felt the stiffness of him fill my mouth.
 
Back
Top