A Witchy Tale - closed

RedHairedandFriendly

Too much red on Red?
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Posts
112,724
A Witchy Tale

RedHairedandFriendly and Tseranc
~ A closed thread ~
~ please PM if you enjoy the story or wish to comment/suggest ~



Jacquelyn Widowswood curled up her nose at the vile smell and she wondered if it was worth all the trouble she was going through to avoid the speeding ticket the officer had issued her a month ago. She’d not paid it, feeling he’d been in the wrong. She had told him of her emergency and yet he had proclaimed, that the herbs she’d been on her way to collect were not worth risking life or limb for. He’d promptly issued her a ticket, tipped his hat and told her to have a nice day. As soon as he was gone, she had simply sped again and gathered up her herbs.

Now she was using some of those very herbs to work up a potion to ‘change’ his mind. Granted she wouldn’t smell the prettiest, but she’d be the most convincing person in the area and everyone would agree with her.

“There we go,” she whispered, and dabbed a drop on her pulse points. She quickly got dressed and headed to her car. This time when the blonde with the strawberry highlights pulled out of her small cottage driveway she did so with the speed that her black Jag, could handle. Her hair was secured in a braid, her smile was worth a million dollars and her simple dress was hugging her full-figured form.

“He’ll never see what’s coming.”

She pulled into the courthouse and walked through the security gate. The alarmed rang and a man came forth. “Miss, please you’ll need to go back through and I’ll need to search your belongings.”

“Really. Can’t you just let me pass this one time?” she asked and tilted her head to the left.

He blushed and felt the warmth of her stare ride over him. “Aw, shucks, I guess so.”

She touched his cheek and winked. “Thank you.” She squeezed his arm and grinned. “Oh you are a strong man. I bet your girlfriend is a lucky gal.”

“I don’t have a lass, my dear.”

“Oh I bet you will tonight. Why don’t you try that club down on Melrose.” She stared intently into his eyes and whispered quietly to him. “I hear its top-notch.”

“You know what. I think I will. You have a good day my dear. I hope you’ll win your case.” The officer watched her go and thought to himself, "That Woodswidow girl isn't odd at all, smells a bit funny, but a sweet thing."

Jacquelyn smiled. “Oh I will.”

She walked toward the offices where she knew the Ticketing Officer would be. They hated having to show up for traffic court, but really all she had to do was get him to breathe and she’d have him eating from the palm of her hand.
 
“Hey Benny! How was the weekend, you go home with that blonde from the bar?”

“Nah man…she wasn’t interested…Lady Luck has forsaken me I guess.”
He said with a smile. Truth was, and all the other gathered officers knew it, that Ben Mancini had largely ignored the blonde that practically draped herself over him last Friday night; and the red head the week before that. He hadn’t been really out with another woman for over 3 months…his latest girl friend having run off with a producer from California who promised to make her a star. Women just not to be trusted for the moment.

“Well guys, looks like a great start to the week here…stuck fighting for tickets. Why the hell can’t people just shut up and pay them when they screw up?”


Same story pretty much every week. Same wishes of being out there doing the job vs. in front of a judge arguing about how well you did it. But then…

All heads turned when she walked in the room, flowing hair, jeans that may was well have been painted on and a sweater that covered all but displayed her ample assets proudly. If not for the steady, sure tap of her high-heeled boots on the cold floor one could have heard the proverbial pin drop…as well some officer’s jaws.

When she stopped in front Ben, he swallowed hard, “May I help you Ma’am?” He stumbled eagerly.

She was intoxicating, and he didn’t even know why. He wanted to ask her out, help her carry her groceries, and help her move her furniture.
 
Last edited:
Jacquelyn smiled at the officer and the others that were looking at her with equally pleasurable expressions on their faces. “Officer Mancini,” she said his name, the voice that of an angel poured from her lips. “I’m Jacquelyn Widowswood, I’m supposed to be in court today because I was going a wee bit too fast.”

Her eyes stayed on his, never wavering as she spoke. “You said if I came to court and explained to you what I was doing, and if you found it plausible you would plead on my behalf today.”

“This should be good,” a voice interrupted Jacquelyn. She turned and saw the female officer. She sneered and thought to herself, “Damn.” The potion didn’t work on the same sex, unless she added a special herb, which she hadn’t. She shrugged her shoulders and went back to Officer Mancini.

“Anyway Sir,” she blinked and smiled warmly, “I wanted to tell you, I needed those herbs because I had to put four leaves into the tea, or the reading wouldn’t have worked. I do hope you understand. I wouldn’t have sped if it wasn’t an emergency. But Mary, the butcher’s wife down on Cedar Street wanted to know if she was going to win the lottery and have a fruitful existence. So you see. . .it really was important I hurry.”

Her pulse beat through her veins and the scent of her “perfume” wafted about the room. “Do you think, maybe, you could speak to the judge and explain you’ve made a mistake.”

“Yay, right Barbie Doll,” the female cop muttered. “Do you believe this chick?”

“Officer Mancini? Can you walk me to my car, after you speak with the judge?” Jacquelyn asked politely, ignoring the only other female in the room, besides herself.
 
Last edited:
Ben took in the sight of the woman, and agreed with every word she said…even though not one of them registered.

“Yeah sure…let’s go talk to the judge.”


He didn’t see Sheryl’s jaw drop at the comment, or that Ben offered his arm to the lady to escort her out. He didn’t see his male co-workers nodding in agreement with him, then shy away from Sheryl’s glare.

He just took Ms. Jacquelyn Widowswood, and led her to the courtroom like a perfect gentleman. He told the judge that it was his error for writing her up in the first place, that he had been under quota and just needed another mark…she really had endangered no one. The judge had scowled at Sergeant Mancini, but agreed to let the woman off, then dismissed them both from his sight.

“Well, that wasn’t so bad, but I’m awfully sorry for making you come down her at all Ma’am. I’d be happy to walk to safely to your car…lead the way.”

Ben was known as a joker, a bit of a softy, but never like this. He would never let a ticket he wrote up off the hook, and yet his fellow officers watched him walk beside the woman, with a big doe eyed expression on his face – all of them were jealous except for one…one who would be giving him holy hell over this later that day.
 
Last edited:
Jacquelyn smiled as the Officer got her off the hook, she was more than pleased when she had entered the courtroom and saw the Judge was a male, had it been a female she’d been cursing herself, but she knew the Judge would have still let her go, since the Officer had demeaned his badge by saying he had purposely written her up with no just cause.

When they left the courtroom and he had agreed to walking her to her car, she smiled and thanked him. Her arm slipped around his and she leaned against him protectively. “I do appreciate this.”

They walked past the security gate and the Officer in charge stood up and waved at her, like some love sick pup. “You go to the club tonight, okay,” she told him as they paused to let another person in.

“I will Miss.”

“Great,” she winked and let Officer Mancini open the door for her. She walked past him, allowing herself to rub against his form. She only had an hour left before the scent was no longer as appealing to the opposite gender and left her on her own wit, charm and spoken spells.

She glanced up at him, once more taking his arm. She hadn’t used her potions to land a date in years and she needed to be at the club tonight. Inwardly shrugging her shoulders, she asked Officer Mancini a question, she already knew the answer too.

“Ben. I can call you Ben can’t I? Would you like to go dancing with me over at the new place on Melrose?”
 
“Yes Ma’am, please feel free to call me Ben.” His jaw nearly dropped when she asked if he’d take her dancing, and issued a hurried, “I’d like nothing more then to take you out tonight, may I pick you up?”

Ben hadn’t been dancing since his buddy got married two years ago, and later the thought of being on a dance floor would mortify him – as would the rest of the morning’s events. But for now all he could think about was showing this lady a good time.

He helped her into her car, a very nice car, and hated when he shut the door for her. Tonight could not come soon enough.

Two hours later, back at the station while he got ready for his patrol, Sheryl barged in, and nearly took his head off when she slapped the back of his skull. “What the fuck was all that shit back at the court house? A pair of heels and a tight sweater all it takes to coheres a cop now-a-days?!”

He didn’t know what to say. He knew what she was talking about, but it seemed like the ONLY thing to do at the time. He stuttered, “I, I, I don’t know…. “

That was odd. Why did he bend over backwards to get the lady off the hook, to get Jacquelyn off the hook. Then he recalled the circumstances of his night being filled too. “Sheryl, you’re right, that didn’t make any damn sense…I’m gonna ask her about it tonight, something’s not right.”

“Tonight?! You’re fucking going out with that bimbo tonight?! Holy crap Benny, I knew you were a little screwed up over your ex, but this…man it’s your job, get your head out of your ass!”

She stormed off and he was left in stupefied awe of his situation, and the lack of knowing how and why he had gotten there. The fact that he looked forward to dancing with her tonight only irked him more…he needed answers, and at least he had a date with the one woman who would have to provide them.
 
Last edited:
Jacquelyn drove off, a smile on her face and her tunes playing loud. She was already thinking about what she’d wear that night as well as what spell would work best for the Officer who was going to meet a special lady at the club. Her thoughts moved to the other Officer, Ben and she felt her smile widen. She’d not use her magic tonight, tonight was simply a night to have fun. She’d enjoy the music, a drink or two and then arrive home safe and sound.

When she reached the small bookstore, she got out and waved hello to an exiting customer. “Hey there Misses Blomekier, how is the bunion?”

“Oh Jackie, its gone. That lotion of yours is the best. It had other effects, but. . .well. . .I’m sure they are just temporary.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, Henry really enjoys the aroma,” the older woman said.

“Well that is a good thing,” Jacquelyn winked and watched the seventy-three year old blush. “You have a good day.”

“I will,” she told her and slowly made her way toward the old station wagon, where her husband of fifty-five years waited.

Jacquelyn sighed and then walked into the small shop. She was greeted with a “hey boss” and a crash. She made a face and rolled her eyes. “Andrea. You aren’t on the ladder again are you?”

“Ummm. . .not any more.”

The young girl walked out of the back room and smiled. “How was court?”

“Fine. Got a date with the Officer.”

Andrea laughed. “You go girl. Misses Blomekier was just here, picking up more cream for her bunions. That’s gotta be the fourth bottle in six months. She should be cleared up by now.”

Jacquelyn shrugged. “Just takes longer for some.”

“I guess.” Andrea knew the rumors that circulated among her bosses clients. Several had come in and swore they were having more sex since using her products then they ever had before. Andrea was tempted to ask Jacquelyn what she put in her lotions, candles, and various other products, but she valued her job and the camaraderie they shared.

“Well, let’s get to work. I have a date tonight.”
 
His patrol lasted for at least forever…possibly two. His partner, John, had teased him about ‘that broad’ from the court this morning, and how Ben, Benny as some called him, should definitely ‘hit that shit hard’ for having helped her out. After all John said, he had gotten her off, time for her to return the favor.

John was always full of such pearls of wisdom, though he was actually harmless, married, and had a son with another bun in the oven. Still the chatter made the wait that much longer, that much more unbearable until he could see this woman again.

His thoughts were still far to horribly tangled on that matter as well. Part of him wanted nothing more then to charm the lady all night, and see where the possibilities went, but the other part demanded that there were no possibilities, not at least until he had some damned answers as to how she made him play the fool.

Finally, his shift ended, and not without some more wise cracks from John, and a death-ray stare from Sheryl.

He changed, crawled into his beat up old jeep, and drove home to change. Once dressed in nice slacks, a buttoned down crimson shirt, the collar left open and the sleeves partly rolled up, he decided he was a presentable date…if that was what this really was.

He pulled out a crumpled piece of pink paper – a speeding ticket with Jacquelyn Widowswood’s address and insurance information on it. Armed with that information he climbed back into his jeep, which he had taken some efforts to clean. His entire day drug on, anticipating tonight, but his arrival at her address had come far too quickly. His mind raced, and he thought this whole thing completely ridiculous …but couldn’t convince himself not to go on with it. His feet drug along her walkway until he was faced with her door. Bringing his fist up slowly, his knuckles finally made contact three times….
 
She heard the door and smiled. Jacquelyn picked up a small bottle of spray and tucked it into her purse. She tugged on her black lace dress. She headed to the door and opened it.

“Hi,” she smiled and asked him in. “Please have a seat. I just have to toss on my shoes and a bit of perfume and we’ll be all set.”

The room was a simple one, to the naked eye it looked homey and welcoming. To Jacquelyn and her family however it was full of interesting things. Plants grew from various pots, some flowering, others simply green and leafy. There were various candles, those too would never have given her true self away, unless one knew exactly what was in them as they were formed.

She pointed to the kitchen and offered him a soda from the fridge. “Fill free to pick and choose, its all legal,” she added a wink and then headed to her bedroom. As she walked away, she shouted back, “Thanks again for letting me off the hook with that ticket. It sure was nice of you.”

Jacquelyn made it to her bedroom and grabbed one shoe and then cursed. She searched for the other, wasting precious time that could have been shared with the handsome officer. Eventually, she whispered a few words and the shoe popped into her hand.

She buckled the silver strap and then checked her appearance. The broach of her dress lay nestled against her neck and she headed back to her date.

“So Ben, ready?” she asked, wondering where he’d been when she zapped her shoe. “Have to be more careful,” she told herself.
 
He was stunned by the beauty that greeted him at the door, and had to make a mental note to himself that drooling and gaping at women was typically not well received, and that he should very quickly roll his tongue back into his mouth.

“Hi. Thanks.” Stunned words left his mouth.

He knew he was staring as she left down the hall, her comment about this morning finally hitting him, forcing him from his reverie. How did she do it?!

But with her out of the room, he just took the time to look about. Nothing out of the ordinary; lots of plants, bunches of candles – but chics like candles, some interesting trinkets and figurines, all things he figured were some form of modern art.

He meant to bring up this morning as soon as she emerged from the bedroom, but once again taking in the sight of her, now several inches taller, he found he could only respond to the affirmative when asking if he was ready, “You bet.”

He decided to be the charming gentleman, but vowed to bring up what happened before the night was through. He opened the passenger side half door of his soft-top jeep, the days were still warm, and so the top was not on. “She’s not much to look at, but has never failed me.” He offered his hand to help her into the mildly lifted rig, no small task for a woman of her height…bare inches over 5 foot he guessed, without the heels. Once she was seated, he rounded his ride, and got in, and took off to the place she had mentioned earlier.

Driving with the wind through their hair, his short brown spikes held firmly in place by gel never moved, but he liked the way little strand of her hair escaped the manner she had put it up – it looked so natural. He had to speak loudly, but not yet yelling over the wind and road noise, as he turned down the radio. “I gotta know Jacquelyn, what the hell happened this morning. I’m thrilled I did it, and to be out with you now … but something doesn’t add up. I don’t typically do that…hell I’ve never done it before. What am I missing?”

He wondered several things, all equally ridiculous; was this what love at first sight was, did she control minds like a psychic or something, maybe a witch and he was under her spell? Hell, might as well be an angle from the heavens! All silly, but something was off, and he meant to find out what.

Before she could answer he pulled into the packing lot, and quickly found a spot, shutting the jeep off. He looked to her for both an answer, and hoped she didn’t mind being seen with someone that couldn’t really dance at a happening club like this.
 
She took his arm and grinned. “Jacquelyn’s a mouth full. You can call me something else if you’d like. Lots of folks shrink it too Jackie, it’s all up to you though.”

They proceeded toward the club and though there was a long line she didn’t mind waiting. Jacquelyn turned to Ben. “As far as this morning goes. I simply came in and told you why I was speeding. I asked if you’d tell the judge and see if we could let it slide. You gave him the reasoning behind it. I simply asked if you’d help me out.”

The walked in and the noise drowned out anything he may have thought of saying immediately following her statement. She looked around and spotted a young woman, wearing a simple sweater and a pencil skirt. Her gaze quickly ran over her and then she saw another out of the corner of her eye. “Oh look,” she pointed over to the figure that was coming closer to him. “There’s that nice Security Office from the Court House.”

She waved to him and as they waited for him to move through the crowd, she thought back to her answer to his question. She hadn’t lied. She didn’t tell him to lie, just to tell him he was wrong. He was in her opinion. He wouldn’t think that now, but the excuse he gave had been one he had made up on his own. She hadn’t fed it to him.

She dipped her hand into her purse and pulled out her perfume. “I forgot to put this one, how silly of me.” She turned slightly, spotted a bosom brunette and stepped away from Ben. “Wouldn’t want you to get doused.” Funny, she thought to herself, she really didn’t want him under any spells, potions, or enchantments.

Jacquelyn lifted her perfume arched her neck and aimed the small spray in the wrong direction. She pressed lightly and then rolled her eyes. “I’m so sorry!” she exclaimed as the brunette spun around and waved the fragrance away. She leaned in and whispered a few words and then stepped back, she pretended to spray herself and then before the Security Officer could appear the brunette and his eyes met. The words she’d placed in the older man’s ears still were firmly intact.

“Well, guess he found someone else to talk to. Now how about a drink or a turn on the dance floor,” she asked Ben, her grin wide and her eyes sparkling. The Officer and the woman would have the next 8 hours to enjoy themselves. What happened after that was between them.
 
He listen to her explanation, but she ducked off to apply perfume before he could respond. She accidentally hit some other chic, one that it seemed the desk guard form the courthouse was interested in. Well good for him.

Once she returned from spraying fellow patrons, he had decided she was defiantly hiding something, but wasn’t about to talk about it. “Tell you what, I’ll drop the subject for now if you buy me a drink.” He chuckled, as they made their way to the bar. “What’s your poison…. wait, let me guess. I’m good at this, I’m a drink psychic.” He held his fingers to his temples and tried to hold back a huge grin, failing miserably. He hummed a bit to add to the effect, then opened his eyes and looked at the bartender. “The lady will have a frozen margarita. I’ll take a double Jack and Coke.”

He looked to her; pretty sure he got her order right. If not her favorite, something she enjoyed for sure. He figured she might be a straight tequila kinda gal, but in a dress like that the margarita glass would look classy.

“So how did I do?” he inquired as he took the drinks from the barkeep, and passed her salt-rimmed glass over to her. “I lied by the way, I’d never let the lady pay, especially on the first date.” He had slid the man behind the bar his credit card, to start the tab.

“If you get me drunk enough, I think you might be able to take advantage of me and get me to dance. I’m real shy.” Sarcasm dripped from his words as he grinned wide like a predator. Though he wasn’t a dancer, he wasn’t the least bit shy either…. not ever.
 
Her smile was huge and she took the offered drink. “Ben, trust me. Once your on the dance floor it’ll fill like Fred and Ginger possessed us both.” She’d not do that to him of course, recalling the dead was never a good thing, but she could teach his feet to move in order to compliment and accommodate hers.

She sipped her margarita and licked her lips. “Perfect,” she told him. She took another drink and watched the dancers. Her eyes flickered to the officer and the woman, both moving together with the rhythm of the music. “Thanks for the drink, but really, you didn’t have to drop the subject. I answered you honestly, didn’t I?”

“That female officer though, she sure wasn’t very friendly, but she was probably a bit jealous. Did you and her date at one time? Perhaps that explains her hostility.”

She blinked innocently at him and ran her finger absentmindedly around the rim of her glass. Slowly the salt crystals slipped over the rim, once more becoming even, her drink if one concentrated hard enough and long enough could be seen slowly stirring, though those movements were hard to detect unless one was eye level with it.

“So, tell me Officer Mancini. . .why ever did you agree to go out with me? I’m sure there are a dozen women beating down your door.” She knew the answer as to why he said yes, but she was curious why he didn’t call and back out at the last minute. The affects of the potion had worn out long before their date.
 
Last edited:
“No! Sheryl and I never dated…she…she kinda like everyone’s big sister down at the station, she’s pretty protective of everyone. She just hates other women…drove away three of our chief’s receptionists.”

He took a drink from his glass, his eyes entranced by her finger along the rim of her beverage…an image he was lost in. Was her drink swirling? He looked up quickly, after having noticed that it probably looked like he was staring at her chest…which did in fact provide the most amazing background to whatever hallucination he just had.

“A few women seem to want to tie me down…but I haven’t hand anything serious for awhile.” He paused…the pain of his ex came back, but for the first time…it didn’t seem near as bad. “How could I not take up the offer from an amazing woman that somehow got me to go against all my better judgment? Seems my judgment in general has been lacking lately…maybe you can help?” he laughed it of, but deep down he wondered if he meant it. “And please…it’s Ben, no officer anything…not unless you got a thing for handcuffs,” he winked at her over his drink, which seemed to do nothing to quench his thirst. “Though some, for reasons I’ll never understand, like calling me Benny.”

He decided he was done being sober and stiff, and tossed the rest of his drink back. His eyes took a moment to open, the whiskey having seemed to all sit on the bottom, and burn its way to his gut. After a few short seconds thought he felt great. “Ok, how about that dance lesson Jackie?”
 
She finished her drink and took his hand. “Handcuffs, no. I’d rather use rope, it binds better and the knots have special meaning when they are tied certain ways.”

Jacquelyn left her explanation hanging there, letting him take it as he wanted. “Now we need a bit of space that is just ours.” She looked around and spied a dark corner. “That’ll do.”

They worked their way through the masses of people and she turned toward him. “Here, put this hand on my hip.” He did. “Hold my hand with the other.” Again he complied. Her smile continued to sit prettily on her face. “Concentrate on my voice and my eyes, my hands will rest here,” she said, placing her free hand on his shoulder.

She gazed up at him and felt a warming sensation roll over her. She blushed and tucked her head down and stepped into him, closing the space between them. Jacquelyn looked back up and met his eyes, she swallowed and timidly pressed her hands against him. “Just listen to my voice and move with me.”

“There is a poem my mother would tell me that helped me learn to dance. ‘Weeds in the wind blow soft and free as lovers dance a soft melody.’ It may sound silly, but it helped me to become one with the music and with my partner.”

Jacquelyn whispered the words again, her breath barely caressing his fingers as they pressed closer together. Mentally she was swearing to herself, she had said she wouldn’t use magic, but she wanted to dance and to dance with Ben.
 
Ben couldn’t believe how easy it was. He was a horrible dancer at anything but more free form stuff like techno, or some cheesy 80’s pop. But here he was cutting up the floor with this gorgeous woman, and grinning about it like a mad man.

Soon he had it down, and he really felt the music. Felt it in his every breath, in his bones. The beat demanded how his feet moved, and he was washed away with the rhythm, and he took the lead. The club played mostly modern stuff he had been told, Rap, techno, some R&B…but it seemed they had a soft sport for more formal dances as well. The music changed, from an almost jazzy sound to something that made him feel like Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman – only not blind at all. In fact his eyes were quite full with the lovely woman in his arms; a fact he was immensely grateful for.

Every movement seemed natural, easy, smooth. His body knew when to extend out and when to reel her back in. He’d never had this much fun dancing, not even when he was drunk and was out dancing with al the strippers at Mat’s bachelor party. He almost felt in his element.

The music faded, and he found he had dipped the small woman perfectly, their lips dangerously close, and eyes locked together. They breathed heavily and somewhere, from some far off distance the sound of clapping came to his ears. Looking up he only then noticed that they were in the center of the dance floor, and not another soul dared impede their space. They had an adoring audience, clapping and whistling at them. His face turned beet red, as he brought his date up smoothly, made a small bow to the crowd then led Jackie off the floor; her hand in his.

He wasted no time getting another drink, ordering another margarita for her as an after thought. He took it all in one shot. “Wow, I’ve never done that before…some little trick you have for learning there!” He looked at her with disbelief, “That was wicked fun though…scary as hell and crazy, but fun!”
 
She grinned and took a long drink of her margarita. She’d stop at two, it was her limit. A drunk witch wasn’t a smart witch. She’d learned her lesson a long time ago. The memory filled her and she smiled, knowing Ben would see it as her joy of being with him, which she was joyful about his company. She enjoyed the dance, the touch of his hand upon her skin and his breath whenever it had hovered so close to her warm skin. Now she gazed at him, wanting nothing more than to be in his arms again, she wouldn’t push her luck. She’d over done it with the dance, but it had been to good an opportunity to pass up.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it. Not everyone is as easy to teach as you were. You’ll find it tricky with another, because they won’t know where to place their hands, or how to make you feel at ease, but it’s a learned gift and maybe you’ll get lucky and someone will teach it to you.”

She took another drink and then felt her stomach jerk. She looked just behind him and noticed a bowl of pretzels, she despised eating the food that was left out for all the customers to eat out of. The idea of dipping her hands into the pile was enough to make her face screw up.

“I’m hungry, but there is no way I’m eating those pretzels,” she said, pointing to the bowl. She looked down and smiled. “You bought the drinks. . . I’ll buy the food. Would you like to go somewhere else? I’m good to drive if you’re not. I’m thinking pizza.” Her grin was wide and genuine. She wasn’t ready to let the night end and spending time at the local Pizza Hut sounded wonderful to her.
 
“Pizza huh? Well then you’re in luck, a good friend of mine, who keeps trying to remind me I’m Italian has a shop just around the corner from here. At night it’s more of a quiet bar, but the kitchen never closes.”

Ben closed out his tab, retrieved his credit card, and offered his arm to the tiny beauty at his side. He almost regretted leaving – that dance had been so much fun, but a hungry women never remained fun for long. Besides…the fastest way to a girls heart was defiantly her stomach, and Ermanno never, ever disappointed on that front.

He led his date around the corner of the dark street, and into the dimly lit small restaurant. Flora, Ermanno’s wife, saw him and rushed over to him and gave him a huge, motherly hug, kissing each of his cheeks. “Boy you been away so long, and look, not near enough meat on those bones.” The apron clad woman, stepped back, as if finally realizing the Ben was on a date, and looked the woman at his side up and down, finally nodding her approval, “Well it’s about time you dated again, beginning to fear you’d be some lonely cop dieing alone after that evil woman of yours turned you on your head! “ She turned to Jacquelyn, “He’s a good kid this one dear, though I admit my bias, treat this one right and he’ll be putty in your hands. Treat him wrong though, and you’ll have Ol’ Flora to worry about…” She started to scrutinize the young woman again, when Ben finally put a stop to it, “Mamma Flora, if you are quite through embarrassing me in front of my date, can we come in and order something to eat? This poor girl is starving and I know you’re hospitality is better then to let a guest waist away.”

The older woman gave him a smile, and patted the side of his face, “You’re right dear, go have yourselves a seat at the family table.”

Ben almost objected, and was beginning to think it wasn’t the best idea to come here. The family table, as the name implied was reserved fro the family that owned the restaurant and their dearest guests – empty most the time, and situated in the front visible to all. He was hoping to find a nice secluded booth to get more acquainted with Jackie, but those hopes were all but dashed now.

But he escorted the dazzling creature to the table, as instructed, holding her chair out for her, and sliding her in before taking up a seat next to her. Flora brought out hot bread, and olive oil for them, "Ermanno will be out shortly…Let me guess, the House pizza?"

"You know me too well Mamma Flora, Jackie here said pizza so I just had to introduce her to yours.”

“See, isn’t he such a good kid?” Flora commented to Jackie with a wink, before departing back to the kitchen. The place was dead tonight, the club they just left seemed to have all the crowd on their opening weekend. Only two older men at the bar trading war stories, and stealing the occasional innocent glance at Benny’s date.

“I’m sorry, they are harmless, I swear. They kinda took me in after….well awhile back. They’re good people, just a bit over protective sometimes. You’ll love this pizza though, that I promise!”
 
Jacquelyn had stood there absorbing all that the dark haired Italian woman had said and she loved it. The obvious love that the woman displayed over Benny was something that Jacquelyn found refreshing and sweet. She was curious, as any woman would be as to what “evil woman” Flora had been referring to.

When they took their seats she grinned. “Obviously you are a regular and a house favorite.” She glanced at the two men and waved a quick hello to them. One waved back, the other jabbed his friend in the side and whispered, something in his ear. The first smirked and rolled his eyes.

She turned her attention back to Benny. “I’m sure the pizza will taste wonderful.”

A young man approached and she watched him stumble when one of the old men purposely stuck his leg out. She flicked her wrist, as if shooing a gnat. The tray the boy had been holding seemed to be glued to his hand and he righted himself before he fell. The old men looked to Jacquelyn and the one who had whispered to the other was whispering again. She growled low, coughed to cover it up and then sighed.

“So, what’s the house pizza? Everything on it? Cheesy and full of sauce? Pepperoni?”

The kid with the drinks closed the distance between them and set his drinks on the table. “Flora said you’d like a beer and to give the classy lady one too, and if she didn’t drink it she was to leave.”

Jacquelyn smirked. “I’ll take the beer.” She took the offered frosty mug and let her finger run over the edge, she dipped it inside, pulled it out and then smiled. “Delicious.” She said. She despised the taste of beer, but with a simple touch of her finger and a concentrated thought, she’d turned the golden liquid into a sweet flavored beverage that she found tolerable.

The young man blushed and set Benny’s drink down in front of him. “The pizza will be out in about 15 minutes.” She watched them head back to the kitchen, this time no sneaky old men with wandering feet attempted to upset him.
 
“Yeah, they put up with me here. Food is great, and after awhile, I learned the company can be better.”

He watched the scene with the waiter play out…those two old buzzards were always picking on Ricky – their right they figured, since their habit (and secret donations to the tip jar) was paying for his college education. But this time Ricky didn’t fall didn’t even let anything on his tray fall. He was a clumsy kid who would probably have put the beers on the floor.

Once the beers were delivered, with an astonishing success, Ben took his and laughed at the mock threat from Flora. She’d just as soon open a bottle of wine for Ben’s date, but it seemed she was bound to test her manors. Odds are no woman would be ‘good enough’ according to Flora, but at the same time, any new woman in his life had to be a good thing. He made a mental note to have a chat with his favorite hostess about such situations…

Taking a sip of his beverage, and admiring how lovely his petite dining partner looked sticking her finger in to sample the taste…an odd woman surely, but that seemed to make her only more amazing. Finally, thirst quenched, he answered her question on the pizza.

“To be honest, I don’t even really know what all is in it. Family recipe Ermanno says…he’d tell me but then the Mob would have to take me out…” he laughed as he continued, “But it does have a bit of everything on it, pepperoni, his famous itialian sausage, a bunch of vegetables, which is good, as I don’t eat enough of those She says, and I don’t even know how many cheeses. It’s hard to explain, but I’ve never met a human being that didn’t love it…not even…well everyone likes it.”

He took another sip of his beer, washing away another memory. He was having such a good time, but knew that if he kept recalling the past, he was bound to screw this date up.

It was about then that it hit him…he wasn’t trying to sabotage his date, and really did want it to go well. He wanted a next time, and to knew more about her. Was he finally ready to move on, or had this strong willed woman forced him out of his little box? Whatever the case, he wanted it to go on, and well.

“So, Jackie, I never got to ask what it is you do. I mean, I’m pretty sure you know what I do for a living, but all I recall is you having something to do with plants is it?”
 
She sipped her beverage, not really having a name for it, but enjoying it nonetheless. “I own a small shop a few blocks from here. I sell homemade lotions, candles, herbs. . .a bit of everything.” She smiled and toyed with the paper napkin.

“I started the little shop after my parents passed away. I was left with a tidy sum, not a lot, but I was always wanting to start my own business, so it was a way to make it happen.”

She twisted the thin material until it resembled a miniature giraffe and placed it on his plate. She’d used no magic to create the origami creature, just simple skill. However if she’d wanted to give him a scare she could have made it dance across his plate. The night was still young she told herself.

“So, I’m eating the house pizza, drinking the umm... well I’m drinking, so do you think if I press you into dancing with me again, before the meal comes, I’ll look like I’m brown nosing or just having a good time?”

She wanted to be in his arms again. She needed to slide closer, to feel his fingers against her back and breathe in his intoxicating smell, but she couldn’t just throw herself on him, granted she could make him trip over her, but she didn’t really want to do that either.

“I’ll let you lead,” she told him and grinned wickedly. Suddenly music filled the room and the lights dimmed. “Hmm. . .hope they paid the electric bill.”
 
He wondered how everything she wanted seemed to come so naturally. The jukebox in the corner had started playing an instant before she was done asking for another dance. An instant later, the lights dimmed a bit further, something he attributed to Ermanno, who was a hopeless romantic, and it would be like him to try to light a spark between any couple, but especially if Ben were involved.

“I’d love another dance with you…so I’ll take your notion of a good time as a compliment.” He smiled warmly as he took her hand, and led her to the center of the room. She melted into his arms, making the world seem right. Despite their height difference, they fix really well together. Nothing else existed other then the woman in his arms.

One song blended into another, and his hands never moved, resting on her lovely hips, as her encircled his neck. He figured a man could get lost, quite easily, in her eyes; but found himself looking forward to the trip.

He didn’t know how many time they softly swayed, or to how many songs that seemed to softly background their dance, but finally Flora was coming out with the pizza in hand. The smell filled the room before she could even announce it, “Dinner, is served you two love birds.”

Flora lay the pizza down at the table, winked at them, and left off to give them some privacy…for the moment. Her husband’s idea.

Ben hated the end of their embrace, but knew that even he was rather hungry now, so she must be famished. He led her back, and for some reason he might never know, kissed the back of her hand as she sat. He turned a bit red, but quickly took his seat next to her, sliding it as close as possible without being overly oppressing. “Prepare your taste buds…they are in for a treat.” He served up a slice onto her waiting plate, followed by one for him. But instead of eating he sat back to watch her expression as she took the first bite.
 
Jacquelyn smiled as she felt his gaze on her lips. She bit into the pizza and was lost to his presences as she absorbed the taste. When her eyes opened they were wide and full. She swallowed and gazed back at him. “Their magicians aren’t they?” she said. The thing was her voice was serious. There was no man or woman on Earth that could have made such a glorious creation with just the simple fingers their God gave them, no the owners of the little pizzeria had to be gifted in the arts.

She took another bite and it exploded on her tongue. A soft moan escaped her and she knew her eyes were closed. When she finished that bite she looked over at him and blushed. “I’m sorry,” she told him. “I must look a fool.”

She put her pizza down and waited for him to try his. “I’ll never eat anywhere else but here when I have a craving for pizza. It is better than mine and that well. . .mine’s pretty special.”

Her leg was pressed against his and she decided to focus on that instead of the gushing she was doing over the delightful dish. It would look like she’d never eaten if she continued on gushing compliments, but it just seemed unworldly to enjoy something untouched by magic.

Eventually she drank her beverage and noted the depth of it was not changing. She’d forgotten that little quirk and quickly dealt with it in one long gulp. She set the beer down and then remembered she’d not show any signs of intoxication since she’d removed the horrid elements from her drink and replaced it with a sweeter mix.

“So how is your pizza?” she asked as if all was well with the world and she hadn’t just down a third alcohol beverage. She added a giggle for good measure, leaned against him, and hoped she appeared tipsy.
 
He loved her reaction, and smiled over his own slice of pizza as he took a bite. He never got used to just how good it was. But, he tried to play modest, “I’m glad you liked it…I’d hate to disappoint on our first date…”

He let it trail off; hoping the hint was not lost. He almost choked as she drained her glass in one shot, but gathered his thoughts long enough to answer her question, “It’s wonderful as always.”

They both finished up several more slices each…chatter between them reduced, as just small moans of enjoyment of the food was conversation enough. Finally he announced that he was done, “Well I think I’ve made a big enough pig out of myself.” He wiped his hands and mouth on his napkin, and stared at his companion for a long moment before he realized they had company.

Flora sat down at the table, soon followed by her husband with a tray containing four cups and a pot of coffee. He set the tray down, and put his glasses on, looking over Ben’s date. “Ah yes…my lovely wife told me what a pretty girl you brought with you boy…” He extended his hand to her, and when she took it, he kissed it’s back before letting go. “A pleasure my dear.”

“Stop flirting with Benny’s date,” his wife lightly slapped his arm, causing the older man to laugh as he filled each of the cups full of a delicious Italian beverage and passed them out.

The couple proceeded to embarrass Ben with a few short tales about him, though careful to never refer to his ex. Only embarrassing tales like when he had eaten so much of the pizza that he could not physically drive home, and spent the night in the corner by the restroom with a blanket and pillow they brought down for him. And the time he and his cop buddies were celebrating someone’s promotion, and he got so drunk he started professing his undying love to everyone in the bar.

“I’m surprised you haven’t gotten my parents to send you all my baby pictures…you two really are horrible.” Everyone laughed…and he took the time to take in just how beautiful her laugh was. She was intoxicating on every level…and he no longer cared for the other reason he came tonight. He just hoped he’d get another night like this.
 
Last edited:
“Oh, that would be lovely,” she said with a wink. “Baby pictures are adorable, especially the ones where you’re naked in the tub.” Her grin was genuine and she chuckled. “I have a few of those at home.”

The couple stayed long enough to refill their coffee cups and finish off the pot. Jacquelyn sipped at her coffee, hating every sip. She would have changed the flavor, but there were to many around to question why she stuck her finger in her cups of coffee, so she endured the vile liquid. The two things the women detested were beer and coffee. She smiled warmly though as she drank her third cup, praying it would be the final.

When the couple got up to leave she thanked them both for the lovely evening and the company. She hadn’t missed Benny’s statement from earlier, about it being their first date, so she quickly wanted to respond to that. So, when Flora and her husband rose to leave, saying they’d invaded the young’uns long enough, she quickly added, “Well, I’m sure Benny and I will be back again for more of your delicious goods. At least I hope I will.” She turned to Benny and grinned. She did want to see him again and she hoped it would be soon.

Flora didn’t miss the look that passed between the two and she pinched her husband. “See, I told you what they say about the Widowswoods weren’t true. I told him who I thought you were and he was all worried for our Benny, but I told him. . . you were a good girl and wouldn't do nothing to our Benny to bring him harm."

Jacquelyn’s eyes grew wide and she blushed. “Oh, don’t be going all shy on us girl,” Flora said. “I knew your mother and she was a special one too, just like you are. How do you think I make that pizza so tantalizing. She showed me a few tricks.” She winked and pulled her husband away. “You two have a good evening, though I suspect you’ll be taking your young Miss home and then promptly leaving her,” Flora told Benny with a knowing gaze and a stern look that spoke volumes.

She and her husband left, though the elephant in the room didn’t, or at least it felt that way to Jacquelyn. She turned to Benny and shifted nervously. “Mom must have given her a few recipes.” She knew now why the pizza had been so joyous and a flicker of a smile rose from deep within, spreading itself out to a grin. Well, no matter who thought the Widowswoods were odd, at least Flora approved of her and she figured that would mean a lot to the man at her side.
 
Back
Top