Think about your avatar

Never

Come What May
Joined
Jun 20, 2000
Posts
23,234
Now, I’d like to make it very clear that I’m not talking to any one poster, nor am I pretending to hand down commandments from the mountaintop. This is just my opinion:

If you plan to engage in serious discussion please be aware of your avatar’s ability undermine your credibility.

To go along with that; remember that your avatar both serves to identify you and to color your post. People will make unconscious assumptions about your attitude and personality based on everything from the subject matter of your avatar, to its style, to even the colors it uses.

While sexual imagery is expected, crude or highly explicit content can cause negative reactions. Just because you have sex with your genitalia doesn’t make genitalia sexy. Remember, the vast majority of content can be aesthetically pleasing and arousing, or ugly enough to make a viewer grimace.

If your avatar is a picture of a real person or a character, please be aware of associations people have with that person or character. A good example would be that of the gentleman who unknowingly used a gay porn star as his avatar and then became quite upset when men started hitting on him.

These are just a few of my thoughts on the subject of avatars. Feel free to disagree or offer your own. Or talk about what you think of avatars in general.
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm, interesting topic. No wonder no one wants to pat me. And I am being stalked by the dog catcher.
<drooling on Never> :D
Hey are you saying people will associate me with the av I have picked and think I am a bit of a dog? *WooF* :p
 
i like using my avatars as an indication of just who may or may not hit on me.
 
Gouverneur Morris is my avatar to fight off the evil Libertarians but there aren't many around. Oh yeah, he drafted the Constitution and he was an absolute POLY SCI genius. Maybe I shouldn't sully his image by posting about 'ramming my rod' in Ann Coulter but big deal, I reckon he needs the publicity.
 
I agree

I chose mine for many reasons, one of which is that it is very neutral.

I mean, unless you're amish - who doesn't use zippers? Besides, I don't even think they use computers, let alone surf a site like literotica. Although I do think it's cool that they churn their own butter. I mean, that's gotta taste pretty good. And I bet fresh butter makes good lube too.

Errr...I seam to have drifted off topic. Where were we?

Nevermind.
 
I'm Into My New One....

The Smiling, Amused, Kinda Happy Look, Contrasts My Name.

I Never Have Much Problem With AV Versus THE Poster, I Usually Read The Words And Then Look At The Avatar. Sometimes They Match, Sometimes They Don't!
 
My AV does effect how, and where I post. I'm very aware of it, and I believe it flavors the tone of my posts.

I can not bring myself to post on any serious thread while using my current AV. I thought about posting to a couple of different 9/11 threads yesterday, even got as far as typing out the post. It just didn't feel right saying something so serious, while wearing nothing.
 
Re: I agree

zipman7 said:
I chose mine for many reasons, one of which is that it is very neutral.

I mean, unless you're amish - who doesn't use zippers? Besides, I don't even think they use computers, let alone surf a site like literotica. Although I do think it's cool that they churn their own butter. I mean, that's gotta taste pretty good. And I bet fresh butter makes good lube too.

Errr...I seam to have drifted off topic. Where were we?

Nevermind.

YKK on your zipper?
 
Ackkk!

zipman7 said:
And I bet fresh butter makes good lube too.




Yes, Yes It Does....

*Shakes Head*

BUT!
DO NOT Use Butter As A Lube If Yer Gonna Wear A Latex Condom!!!

Only Use It When You Don The Plastic Ones:D
 
Yes, I am sure the avatar is significant in creating the backdrop to the screen on which we project our own images of the people we meet here.
What I find, is that, here on Lit., there is so much interaction and so many other signals given out by posters as to who they are, so much personal information, most of which seems to me to be totally authentic, that the avatars cease to play any great role in what I imagine that person to be like. They are fun.

Undoubtedly, the internet opens us all to the risk of meeting only our own projections, rather than other people. It seems to me that here, on Lit, this risk diminishes from the first post on. If anthing, the screen, either the one we hide behind, or the one upon which we project, becomes more and more transparent.
Unless I am much deluded, I have met some people here, at depths of genuine human contact which I cannot imagine would have happened had we worked in the same room.
 
Sorry, but Snoopy is looking about as serious as he can in this av..

And damn is that a kick ass logo on his hemlet. :D
 
Back
Top