The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

graceanne said:
I'm actually going to try and read the ones I missed and do a review on them, since I can do reviews on old ones.

That's wonderful!

*hug*

I invite others to do this too. Since we now have your wonderfully elegant index which doesn't not require things to be linear anymore we can simply add a link to them!

Fury :rose:

graceanne said:
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Casey

1.) Did you like the book overall or not?

Overall, yes. There were parts I found boring.

2.) Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

I felt it betrayed it, overall, in a good way. But it was still realistic. I liked that the one guy who burned her showed remorse - none of that 'i am dom, i make no mistakes' crap.

3.) Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

Eh. They weren't very detailed - I would have liked a bit more detail, but they were pretty hot. To tell the truth the hottest scenes had no sex in them. (The one where she lets that one guy know she knows who his patron is? And the part where Melisande takes her to that party all but naked. *fans self*

4.) Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

Yes, it was a good strong plot. I felt that their was a bit too much detail and long rambling introspectives by Phedre, but other than that it was definately a book with a lot of meat in it.

5.) Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

Yes, I'm in the process of finding the next one. :D

6.) What did you like best about this selection?

That depth of the story. Phedre wasn't a one dimensional masochist who's whole life centered around her cunt. She had wants and needs. She felt emotional pain, and loyalty, love, anger, and pain. She was real.

7.) What did you like the least?

I agree with Fury on this - I would have liked a lot more sex, and the sex there was I would have appreciated a bit more detail. I also didn't like the rambling thoughts that were put in inappropriate places. (Like conversations, where they say a few things, then Phedre goes off on an internal tangent that's supposed to take like seconds, but takes four or five pages before the conversation resumres.)

8.) How would you have changed the story?

I wouldn't have. The whole plot was perfect and awesome.

PS - I wanted to agree with Fury's little note at the bottom of her review. I was very disappointed and sad that Melisande turned out to be such a horrible person.

I was so worried when you didn't like the book and found it sad. In the final analysis it looks like you enjoyed it and mostly agree with me. Whew! What a relief! I enjoyed your review! Thank you!

FurryFury said:
I was so worried when you didn't like the book and found it sad. In the final analysis it looks like you enjoyed it and mostly agree with me. Whew! What a relief! I enjoyed your review! Thank you!

At first i found it sad, then in parts were boring. But, frankly, that was my initial impression of the first Anita Blake book. lol Overall i have to say I enjoyed it.

OK I also vote To Serve and Submit, I just picked it up at the local bookstore not knowing that Fury but it on the list. It says on the back that Carey fans should like the book.

Natural Law by Joey W. Hill

Sorry this has taken so long. I've had some house (frozen water pipes and continous plowing) and family health issues going on. Plus, for some reason, even though I like this story I had a hard time pinpointing the exact things I did like and why. So anyway I finally got it done.

[size=+1]Natural Law by Joey W. Hill[/size]

Yes, I’ve actually read it a couple of times.

I thought it came across as positive and closer to what I think would fit me. Maybe not some of the specifics like the club or the play party, but the portrayal of a high powered sexual sub that was alpha otherwise, intrigued me. As well as a Dom/me that was willing to express vulnerabilities.

This was also one of the first stories I’d read that seemed to have a balance of BDSM elements mixed with general life concerns. Just as a very small example when Violet mentioned towards the end of the story about wanting to be with Mac and nag him about mowing the lawn. That struck me as such a commonplace household activity that you just don’t see mentioned in most stories trying to represent BDSM.

The sex scenes were ok, but weren’t a big element in what I liked about the story or what brought me back to read it again.

I’ve read more in depth plotlines and I think Violet and Mac could have worked closer on solving the murders, but all in all it was enough to keep me interested in the case.

Yes, I’ve actually read a couple of her other books. I’ve liked this one the best so far. It's part of a series and I have the rest, but haven't read them yet.

I liked the interaction between the two lead characters. The way Violet finally got through Mac’s walls, the way Mac took care of Violet after she was involved in the shooting and the way Violet took care of Mac after he was shot. I also liked how Violet had moments of doubt about pushing Mac in his submission that she talked through with her mentor. Something I hadn’t seen in other BDSM selections I’d read.

I didn’t quite understand Violet’s need to hold off on her orgasms. For me it didn’t seem to add anything to the story and was actually a little off putting.

Although not necessary for the story I think I would have been interested in learning more about Mac and why he had built the walls around himself and I would have also liked hearing more about Violet’s mentoring process.

The intricacies of the murder case could have been more deeply explored as well and I don't think the reason behind her gift certificate to the "woman's sensuality shop" was fully explained.

leeroy jenkins said:
OK I also vote To Serve and Submit, I just picked it up at the local bookstore not knowing that Fury but it on the list. It says on the back that Carey fans should like the book.

That does make it sound interesting doesn't it?

graceanne said:
At first i found it sad, then in parts were boring. But, frankly, that was my initial impression of the first Anita Blake book. lol Overall i have to say I enjoyed it.

I'm so glad! I've been recommending this book to everyone I know who enjoys reading! I think it was my fav of 2006.

Rox_shybutcurious,

Thanks for the wonderful review! I'll put a link up as soon as Graceanne sends it to me. I'm hopeless with all that link stuff!

I'm sorry life has been rough going lately. I hope it's settled down for you now.

I agree it was positive overall toward BDSM and it did address some RL relationship issues that a lot of these books don't seem to do.

If this one is part of a series are Mac and Violet in the others?

Yes, knowing why he built those walls would have been nice. The mentoring process is something I have fantasies about it. More detail on that could have added a lot as well.

[size=+1]Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh[/size]

Yes, I usually like Lora Leigh's books.

I don't know if I feel that many of Lora Leigh's books are about bdsm, it's more about kinky sex and a man trying to assert dominance.

Oh, yeah. :D

Yes, it was ok. It was very typical of her books, fluffy but not so fluffy to be boring.

I believe I've read everything she's written. :D

Well this one had a nice little twist in that the main female character was psychic. The other difference was that her SO didn't want to wrap her in cotton wool and keep her at Sanctuary. He loved her independance. It made for a very nice change in Lora Leigh's books.

Um, i dunno. I didn't really dislike anything about the story. it's not one I'll read over and over, but it was worth the time.

Um, I don't know if I would have. Maybe made it a bit meatier, but it's perfect for the kind of story it is.

Last edited:
The sex in it was pretty hot. I remember wishing I had some man flesh in hand at times while reading it! LOL!

To Serve and Submit by Susan Wright is the BDSM Book Club selection for March 2007.

Bondage by Patti Davis will be the selection for April 2007.

Discussion of the February 2007 selection Marly's Choice by Lora Leigh begins at midnight tonight, your time.

Also note that if you have read any selection that the club has chosen so far you can write a review and discuss it with us!

Please read and discuss these books along with us!!!

leeroy jenkins said:
So how do you figure out what book we will be reading for any given month Fury??

She waves her magic wand and a piece of paper *poofs* out of the sky with the title. :p

graceanne said:
She waves her magic wand and a piece of paper *poofs* out of the sky with the title. :p

If its a voting thing it would be nice to see how the votes stack up... Otherwise it sorta lookings like its what Fury just decides to read.

leeroy jenkins said:
If its a voting thing it would be nice to see how the votes stack up... Otherwise it sorta lookings like its what Fury just decides to read.

I think that Fury just pays attention to what people want to read, and goes with what seems the most. But frankly even if she chooses, I don't care. Frankly she's kept this thread going. Look at post one were I put up an index of the stories read and their revies. There were times where she was the only one who read that months story, and the only one to post. The whole thing was also her idea, and so far she's not chosen anything that no one wants to read - well except one time, and she changed the story when it came out no one wanted to read it.

graceanne said:
I think that Fury just pays attention to what people want to read, and goes with what seems the most. But frankly even if she chooses, I don't care. Frankly she's kept this thread going. Look at post one were I put up an index of the stories read and their revies. There were times where she was the only one who read that months story, and the only one to post. The whole thing was also her idea, and so far she's not chosen anything that no one wants to read - well except one time, and she changed the story when it came out no one wanted to read it.

Thank you Grace!

:kiss:

(The story that you speak of was nominated by someone so I thought at least one person wanted to read it.)

There have been times when I've felt all alone on this thread. I wondered if I should keep it going. I'm purely selfish that I did because I love talking with others about books.

Since we are all into BDSM here I thought it might be fun to read books that were supposed to be about that in one way or another.

Leer, I try to please the most people (who have spoken up about what they'd like either on this thread or in PM's), that I think I can, at any given time with the picks.

Sometimes I get sort of fed up with the fluffy type books. Those are the times when I pull out the next Kushiel book. I know one of those will be good, and for me, satisfying. I find them restorative at times.

FurryFury said:
Thank you Grace!

:kiss:

(The story that you speak of was nominated by someone so I thought at least one person wanted to read it.)

There have been times when I've felt all alone on this thread. I wondered if I should keep it going. I'm purely selfish that I did because I love talking with others about books.

Since we are all into BDSM here I thought it might be fun to read books that were supposed to be about that in one way or another.

Leer, I try to please the most people (who have spoken up about what they'd like either on this thread or in PM's), that I think I can, at any given time with the picks.

Sometimes I get sort of fed up with the fluffy type books. Those are the times when I pull out the next Kushiel book. I know one of those will be good, and for me, satisfying. I find them restorative at times.

Fury its just a personal hang up, nothing against you. Just like I was jealous when I started posting and people wouldn't quote me. I know its silly but still its where I was at the time. So there is my bit of honesty for today.

leeroy jenkins said:
Fury its just a personal hang up, nothing against you. Just like I was jealous when I started posting and people wouldn't quote me. I know its silly but still its where I was at the time. So there is my bit of honesty for today.

I understand. Well in a way, I'm not sure what the personal hang up is but um, I understand about having personal hang ups.

*hug*

FurryFury said:
I understand. Well in a way, I'm not sure what the personal hang up is but um, I understand about having personal hang ups.

*hug*

Its I guess a control of not feeling like I am being heard?? That is one of the reasons I like being old, the fact I have control over my life and not at the whims of others

Finished the book of the month. Love to talk about it because it has some weird shit in it that is so far out in left field. Plus there is I would guess some major symbolism going on in the book also, least I think so.

leeroy jenkins said:
Its I guess a control of not feeling like I am being heard?? That is one of the reasons I like being old, the fact I have control over my life and not at the whims of others

This month's pick was based on the fact I heard you. I always listen. I may not be able to always make you happy or agree but I listen.

Finished it already? Wow! That was quick. I know what it's like to want to talk about it now. Now isn't the time though. Now is the time for discussing February's selection, Marley's Choice. Who wants to start?

Last edited:
FurryFury said:
This month's pick was based on the fact I heard you. I always listen. I may not be able to always make you happy or agree but I listen.

Finished it already? Wow! That was quick. I know what it's like to want to talk about it now. Now isn't the time though. Now is the time for discussing February's selection, Marley's Choice. Who wants to start?

12 hour work shift Fury what can I do but read.

I don't know. I wouldn't want to read for twelve hours straight even though I love reading. I hate it when work is slow but I'm stuck there.

Marly's Choice

Yes.

Eh - I don't know if I think it's real, but for the most part it's positive

Oh, yeah. :nana:

Well, it's definate fluff, but the story line was still good. Lora was good about putting some action into the story so that I was't totaly bored with it. lol Wanker stories are good, but not at that length.

I believe I've read everything she has.

The sex.

The end. (spoiler alert) I think his trying to force her into a lesbian relationship was WAY out of line on his part. Of course she stood her ground, but that whole part just left me cold.

Um, I dunno. Other than leaving out the end, I guess I'd have left it alone.

Back