Sci-Fi/Fantasy Chain Story Idea

RedHairedandFriendly

Too much red on Red?
Joined
Apr 20, 2005
Posts
112,724
Laresa's World
Following you will find the links to all the Laresa stories as of 1/25/07, as well as a link to each contributing author’s bio page, where you can find their other stories. At the end of this post you’ll find links to stories written about Laresa and her adventures that were done outside the chain story.

Contributing Authors:


Laresa’s World Ch: 01: Adam - RedHairedandFriendly
Laresa’s World Ch. 02: Ryan - Daniellekitten
Laresa’s World Ch. 03: Alex - Tseranc
Laresa’s World Ch. 04: Famke - Black Tulip
Laresa’s World Ch. 05: Clint - Darkniciad
Laresa’s World Ch. 06: Christine - deathlynx
Laresa’s World Ch. 07 SEVERUSMAX
Laresa’s World Ch. 08 - Dolph - deathlynx
Laresa’s World Ch. 09 - Hanna - RedHairedandFriendly
Laresa’s World Ch. 10: James - Darkniciad
Laresa’s World Ch. 11: Matthew - Daniellekitten
Laresa’s World Ch. 12: Daniel - Black Tulip
Laresa’s World Ch. 13: Brigid - deathlynx
Laresa’s World Ch. 14: Alexis/Clay - RedHairedandFriendly
Laresa’s World Ch. 15: Aaron - Darkniciad
Laresa’s World Ch. 16 - SEVERUSMAX
Laresa’s World Ch. 17: Bruno - RedHairedandFriendly
Laresa’s World Ch. 18: Hanan - Black Tulip
Laresa’s World Ch. 19: Seymour - deathlynx
Laresa’s World Ch. 20: William - Darkniciad
Laresa's World Ch. 21: Martin - RedHairedandFriendly
Laresa's World Ch. 22: Rutila - Darkniciad
Laresa's World Ch. 23: Laresa - deathlynx
Laresa's World Ch. 24: Jonathon - Darkniciad
Laresa's World Ch. 25: Ben/Horace - RedHairedandFriendly



Stories outside the Chain. . .


Darkniciad

(all located in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Category)

Of the People
The Beast Within

A Laresa Valentine’s Day Story:
Genie Valentine

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Last edited:
Thanks Rob. . :) I'm still in the thinking process too. There are different things to contemplate, so I'm open for suggestions.
 
You caught my interest too. Provided the other willing wirters don't mind a n00b to the more published side of Lit in their midst.
 
You are welcomed to join. Every person on Dry Valley was new to the Chain Story concept, they may have had some stories out, but they were New in that regard. I know what you can do and I'm thrilled you'll come on board. :D
 
I'll keep an eye open too.

My suggestion would be to set some sort of limits upon her necessity to obey any Master. It doesn't have to be the typical "3 wishes," but something that releases her from the binding and immediately sends her ( bottle or whatever ) spinning off across space and time.

Perhaps serving her master sexually is the trigger. One time of that, and as soon as he/she falls asleep, *poof!* she's gone!

It would be darn near inevitable for anyone who found her attractive. No strings, she can make her tongue nine inches long if she wants to, it's going to happen.

Could even force her into situations where she has to seduce a Master that she doesn't like much, but who doesn't appear like they're going to surrender to the temptation and set her free to find a new Master any time soon. She could even use her powers to her advantage if necessary to pull this off. Genies are noted in mythology for taking advantage of anything they can to twist a wish.

Certainly have some condition that sets her free forever, and perhaps let her keep her powers.
 
I like the idea of some limits, whether it is because she isn't as powerful as another, more experienced Genie. I did an SRP once of a Genie and a bottle and an amulet. You had to have the amulet to control the Genie. Without it the Genie slept and was never awoken.

I don't know if I want the typical "bottle" . . .but the idea of a staff, amulet, a ring perhaps. . .

There is also the possibility that whoever controls her home would control her, not necessarily the three wish guideline that people think of.
 
Interesting, Red.

I like the idea of no limits on time or space, she could go back or forward depending on the wish she had to grant, perhaps?

I agree about the limitation of using her.

Hm, no bottle? Maybe a statue? Or it is really her but frozen somehow?
A bad genie did that to her?

:D
 
A ring is a good idea. Rings are fairly universal, and the standards don't change across genre very much. A ring won't stand out as unusual in a medieval castle, the Starship Enterprise, or a fifth floor walk-up on the lower East side.

It's easily portable, doesn't cause airport screeners to look at you like you're nuts, can always be on your person.

Pretty much a perfect vessel.
 
A statue is nice, but it would suck if it broke. ;) (or would it)

I think ring is the way to go, a man or woman could wear it, and it would travel easily.


Limits as far as her power. . .perhaps she has none, but there is always one more powerful than her, if he/she is older or wiser.

Limits as far as how long one has control of her. . .do they lose her after having sex with her, falling in love with her, after three wishes???

or

do they lose her if the ring is stolen? lost? sold?
 
This isn't set in stone, but an idea of what we are looking at, or at least a glimpse of what we've talked about. Just a quick drop off the top of my head. . .



Somewhere at sea. . .1687 A.D.

The clouds rolled thick over the darkening skies. Jonathan Wright studied them. His blue eyes taking in the size as well as the menacing color. It would be a strong storm, one that would take down several ships. Many were at sea this night and many would perish. He was not going to be one of them. He touched the amber stone on his right hand, twirling the ring counter-clockwise until it warmed under his command. A soft wave of heat ran through from his ring finger to his palm. Staring in awe, he watched the haze of glimmering gray appear. The tendrils formed into Laresa, the woman that had made him who he was.

She turned to face him and he was lost in her beauty. The pale violet eyes glimmered and he saw she was happy to see him. He’d not visited her since the trip, worried that another would find her beauty and discover their secret. “You’ve called, Master.”

“There is a storm, Laresa,” Jonathan stated solemnly. He looked out the small slit that served as a window for his private cabin. “This ship must see its way through it.”

“Yes, Sir,” Laresa said, her voice gave Jonathan no worry that his desire would not be met. “Laresa, when it is safe, come to me.”

“Sir?” she asked. He could tell she was questioning him, something he had given her free reign to do.

“It is time Laresa. You have served me for several years now.” Jonathan lay down on his bed and waved her toward the window. “Calm the storm and then come to me. My life is ending and it is with you I wish to please, before I go.”

He watched her gaze shift from his old, frail body to the ocean that pounded at the ship. He felt the wind settle and the rolling cease and knew the waters were calm and the clouds no longer gray and black. He felt the bed shift and opened his eyes to gaze at the beautiful woman that was crawling toward him. “How did you know?” she asked.

“I discovered the secret after you told me some of your stories. I always wondered why I never heard what happened the morning after. I am sure I know now.” He pushed his fingers into her long silvery tresses. “Will you do something for me?”

“Sir, you’ve not lost me yet,” she told him.

“You know my Rebecca, remember her from the painting?” Jonathan asked.

“Yes,” Laresa said. Once he asked her she became his Rebecca. Her features became those of a young woman, just reaching twenty years and he whispered for her to take him back. Jonathan watched in wonder as his hand, now free of age spots, stroked the raven locks of his long dead wife.

“Thank you, Laresa.”

Jonathan passed that night, with the name of his wife on his lips. His aged body was found the next morning by a young cabin boy, named Seth. Seth sighed and muttered that it was about time the strange man passed away. He’d been caught talking to himself several times and it was apparent to many that he was sick in the head. As the young lad, turned away, intent on telling the Captain of their passenger’s death, his eyes spotted the ring worn on the frail finger. He smiled, and walked over to the stiffened corpse. “What have we here,” he whispered.

His fingers gripped the hardened hand and he pulled the ring off the dead man. “This will catch me a fine price.” He tucked the ring into his breast pocket and left the room, in search of the Captain.
 
Last edited:
I like it.

:D

Now, to think up something ... if you'll have me.
I'm a sucker for chain stories.

:eek:
 
Black Tulip

Sure I'll have ya. The two I have been in were fun and I enjoyed them very much. I'll have more to this one of course, but this at least gives the idea of what I'm seeing. . .there is a bit of mystery there too. . .did Jonathan die because of old age? or because he finally slept with her?

Hmmmm....

I used one week schedules for Dry Valley, then when that person was done, they submitted the story on the schedule day, then PM'd or emailed the next writer, so they had the story and could begin right away. This worked out very well, gotwood49 had to take a vacation, so I filled in for his week, but otherwise we had no real issue crop up on time constrasts, besides I understand folks have real lives. . . I'm the one that doesn't. ;)

So is one week submissions a good time line or would writers want more? Lit recommends no more than 7 or 8 days between submissions, but what are your opinions?

I have you and Tseranc as "Yes" :D Thanks for that. :)

Also. . . do you see yourself willing to write more than one Chapter? Dry Valley is on 18 and I think we'll have it finished with 5 more stories.
 
Title

There is also the title. . .

I had Laresa & the People Who Used Her

but that can be changed. . .

I like

Laresa & the People Who Knew Her . . . better

****
edit... those titles are too long. . .so we need a new one. :D
 
Last edited:
Laresa's worlds? See, I told you I'd keep an eye on this! Perhaps "Laresa's Worlds: (Name)" where (Name) could be a person, or a place?

Just my two cents/pennies

Alex
 
Alex De Kok said:
Laresa's worlds? See, I told you I'd keep an eye on this! Perhaps "Laresa's Worlds: (Name)" where (Name) could be a person, or a place?

Just my two cents/pennies

Alex


This works, if we put a Chapter number behind it, otherwise the story won't follow in sync. Even if she is time jumping or universe skipping, she'd still have her own conscious to deal with and events that she has performed in the past would crop up.

With On the Bus, we didn't need chapters, because the stories never revolved around one central character, it revolved around the bus, and who got on and off.

(There was never a doubt you weren't keeping an eye on this, I figured you were lurking. ;) ) :D

Thanks for the two cents, I almost have enough for a soda now.
 
I'm interested in this as well...
Though due to the nature of finding her you don't nescessarily have to flow one to the other...You could keep a list on this thread or the like helping people keep track of the chronology...After all if I wanted to do a sci-fi one would that mean I'd have to be last to write or would it force everyone after me to do sci-fi?

granted it's more of an anthology than a chain story that way...
 
deathlynx said:
I'm interested in this as well...
Though due to the nature of finding her you don't nescessarily have to flow one to the other...You could keep a list on this thread or the like helping people keep track of the chronology...After all if I wanted to do a sci-fi one would that mean I'd have to be last to write or would it force everyone after me to do sci-fi?

granted it's more of an anthology than a chain story that way...

The 'Talisman' chain, way back in '02, was chronological, but we managed that. It does take a little organising, but not insurmountable.

Hmm, I'm taking this seriously . . .

Alex
 
With it being a Chain Story, it doesn't have to be classified as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy. . .

It'll always be Sci-Fi/Fantasy, she's a Genie. However the story itself could be anything, depending on how she was left, or lost by the author preceding each chapter.

If I ended the story where I left the example, which I won't, because it is too small. . . then whoever picked up that ending would just carry Seth through as long as they wanted. Does he turn the ring counter clockwise, or does he merely sell it and another gets their hands on it? Does this person ask to be taken into the future, the past, or simply better themselves? Do they desire to see other worlds?

Keeping them labeled with Chapters, lets the reader understand where the Genie was before hand, and when listed in the Chain Story segment on lit, they'll be in order, otherwise they will post alphabetically and the readers will be hopping around.
 
Alex De Kok said:
The 'Talisman' chain, way back in '02, was chronological, but we managed that. It does take a little organising, but not insurmountable.

Hmm, I'm taking this seriously . . .

Alex

I'm not familiar with this one. If we can keep things in order and not put chapters behind the titles I'm all for it.

***

edited to add... just checked it out. .. this works for me. . .the chapter number after the title, but before the tag line.

Laresa's World Ch. 01: XXX


(I'm sure we can get Laurel to put them in order for us and ignore the XXX part of the story)
 
Last edited:
In effrot to make thigns more wild and crazy then life on lit alreay is, i propose an idea to the crowd. (Mind you I've never writen a chain story, so if my ideas are nto feasble, please feel free to tell me to shut up and color).

So, we have our Genie, Laresa, and way, way, way (really way) far into the future she is told to entertain her very last owner with tales from her life. Perhaps the master knows his time is up, or found a way to free her for good.

This woudl allow the writer as much freedom to write their chapter, without having to pick up right where the last left off, unless so desired. Almost like a homage to 1001 arabian nights, were most our info from the Jinn come from anyway.



Oh adn a question to all, how historicaly accurate do we want to remain to the Jinn from pre-islamic and current muslim culture?
 
Back
Top