Depression. Anxiety. Panic Attacks. etc

babydoll2u said:
Now my big problem is insomnia... and it inevitably leads to depression. *sigh* or is the result of it.

Insomnia is a very common symptom associated with both depression and anxiety/panic attacks.

I found that I also complicated the insomnia by drinking lots of coffee, smoking far too many cigarettes and having one too many glasses of red.....all of which helped to keep me awake!

Had to find the strength to break all of those habits - not an easy thing to do when you're at your fittest, let alone when you're in the depths......

Do you find yourself lying there with the thoughts running through your head at a thousand miles an hour - not letting your mind rest?

One therapist that I saw taught me some focus exercises that I found very useful...and also about the value of restructuring the "bedtime" routine programming yourself into a gradual, peaceful wind down to the end of the day - relaxation exercises, adjusting diet (Warm milk and white turkey meat both contain a natural chemical that helps in bringing on sleep), changing your sleeping place to somewhere you feel really safe and very comfortable...all tricks you might try......you will gradually break the cycle.

Failing any of the above - masturbation is highly recommended! No performance anxiety attached and no need for any help from anyone! You may think I'm having you on here, but it's all to do with the release of certain endorphins into the blood stream and their positive soporific effect - better than the alternative of more drugs to knock you out!

Get your body used to sleeping again so when you feel tired, have a nap no matter what the time of day. You may feel this is a bit of a copout but you will function better with rest, so take it when it is offered.

Many people don't realise that although depression is essentially a disease of the brain, the physical side effects can be horrendous - the best thing you can do for yourself is keep yourself as physically healthy as you can - get at least a couple of hours a day out in the sunshine - the Vitamin D from the sunlight will also help with sleeping - gentle exercise like walking if you're not into sport and watch the diet...don't load up on the high calorie stuff. Looking after yourself in this way will help the rest of the process of healing.

You are the only one that can and will invest in yourself in this way - it's ok to be selfish and put yourself and your needs first in order to be well enough to be "superperson" for the rest of your family friends and workmates!

Hope this is of some help.....they are just some of the lessons that I have learned - the hard way!

:heart:

babydoll2u said:
Thank you sweetie... I DO appreaciate the tips. :rose:

Better...stronger ....every day....you're not alone!

if you find the focus wavering, you know where to find me - I'm only as far away as a PM (bearing in mind the time zones!!!)

:) :) :)

I have a hard time with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Both Paxil and Prozac gave me some funky side effects - I got incredibly shakey, which almost made the anxiety feel stronger. My sex drive vanished, and I lost all desire for any physical contact with my SO...not exactly good for our relationship. And, perhaps the worst symptom of all, I found myself not caring about anything. I couldn't make decisions or get the motivation to do anything. It was like I'd replaced "depressed" and "anxious" with a new emotion: apathy.

I can't go back to those meds. Since both did exactly the same thing to me, I'd be willing to bet that other medications in the same category will as well. Unfortunately, the only other type of medication that I've been able to find that will target both depression and anxiety are in the Benzodiazepine category - things like Valium. Even if my doc agreed to prescribe them to me, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable taking something so habit-forming. I've already experienced painkiller withdrawal, and I really don't want a repeat performance.

If anyone has any recommendations about meds that they're on, please drop me a PM - any advice is much appreciated.

Lynxie said:
I have a hard time with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Both Paxil and Prozac gave me some funky side effects - I got incredibly shakey, which almost made the anxiety feel stronger. My sex drive vanished, and I lost all desire for any physical contact with my SO...not exactly good for our relationship. And, perhaps the worst symptom of all, I found myself not caring about anything. I couldn't make decisions or get the motivation to do anything. It was like I'd replaced "depressed" and "anxious" with a new emotion: apathy.

I can't go back to those meds. Since both did exactly the same thing to me, I'd be willing to bet that other medications in the same category will as well. Unfortunately, the only other type of medication that I've been able to find that will target both depression and anxiety are in the Benzodiazepine category - things like Valium. Even if my doc agreed to prescribe them to me, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable taking something so habit-forming. I've already experienced painkiller withdrawal, and I really don't want a repeat performance.

If anyone has any recommendations about meds that they're on, please drop me a PM - any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Lynxie, you hve probably done your fair share of searching, but this does supply some info on (SSRIs) plus some links to other forms of antidepressant.

http://neuroland.com/psy/ssri.htm

They do seem to imply that different types of SSRIs can produce different results. But I can certainly understand your fear of going back on anything that could increase your depression.
As I have said before, the zoloft works fairly well for me, but I have also heard some horror stories as well.

Have you looked into any of the natural therapies, when I had my attack, the friend we were visitng gave me some aromatherapy oils to smell, I was surprised at the results, one particular one (frankincense in my case) brought back a lot of good childhood memories, and we all know good feelings help, so I have a sniff every now and then and get that nice warm feeling.

Last edited:
Thanks, quoll...and thanks Erika and Austral for PMing me. I figure if I arm myself with enough knowledge, maybe I can get over my silly fears about going back to the doctor and/or therapist.

As for natural remedies, yes I've tried a few. Aromatherapy can help take the edge off at any given moment, but it doesn't work for me long-term. I also practice Reiki (energy healing), but it's hard to relax and let go when the anxiety is really bad.

I've been so up recently (yay! :D ) until the last few days... at this point I don't know if I am a bit down and going over past "stuff" because of hormones :rolleyes: or if I have, for some reason, gone back to old mental habits/thoughts. :(

Just my blurt about how I am at the moment...;)

geishaGirl said:
I've been so up recently (yay! :D ) until the last few days... at this point I don't know if I am a bit down and going over past "stuff" because of hormones :rolleyes: or if I have, for some reason, gone back to old mental habits/thoughts. :(

Just my blurt about how I am at the moment...;)
geishaGirl
Blurt away, sometimes it helps.

I hope things have improved for you.
Please make sure you are well rested, and eating properly, these may seem basic things but they are also
the very things we tend to skip when our emotions go haywire. As someone said to me today, make sure you have some "me" time.

It`s really hard to know which way you are going with this stuff, you can be up for weeks or hours and then down.
I had one of those today, was really up, saw something that confused me, and before I could even think about resolving it, I was so far down I was speechless.
A few people from here noticed and came to help, and it wasn`t that long before I was back where I started.

So thank you to those that helped.

I came across this today.
Knowing that depression has a physical cause has been one of the main reasons I have been able to accept my condition.

"Depression is a catch-all description for a syndrome that may have multiple distinct and independent causes.

From my studies, the mechanism of depression involves a suppression or underfunction or dysfunction of one or more of a group of bio-chemicals known collectively as "Chemotransmitters". These bio-chemicals function by carrying the electrical impulse of a stimulation from one nerve to the next across the physical gap between nerves called the synapse.

There are over 400 different chemotransmitters presently identified, but there are four major ones. These are acetyl choline (that has the same structure as nicotine), nor-epinephrin, serotonin and dopamine.

If the body has a shortage of a chemotransmitter, then the nervous system "malfunctions" in the sense that nervous impulses fail to get across a synapse and so the impulse is lost and the required action does not occur.

If this is the natural state for an individual then they may be described as "depressed" because they are not functioning as the socially required "happy, cooperative, friendly group member".

Self medication to overcome this uncomfortable state is quite common and includes smoking cigarettes. This provides short term relief and a feeling of relative exhilaration because the nicotine is a molecule that can replace missing acetyl choline and thus the necessary quantity of "chemotransmitter" for the nervous pathways to function correctly, rather than in deficiency. Compared to the low supply or depressed state, the mood of the person changes because the level of chemotransmitter has increased above the necessary threshold for "happiness".

Technically, nicotine is a structural homologue; it has the same chemical structure as acetyl choline and the receptor sites cannot distinguish between the two chemicals, so the receptors accept the nicotine as if it were acetyl choline molecules. But the "relief" is only temporary, about 15-20 minutes, and so the supply has to be replenished with "another cigarette" containing more nicotine and other addictive substances provided by the manufacturers to boost profits.
The total problem is more complicated than this single, simple example."

Last edited:
I`m hoping the extra work, longer nights and less sleep have been the cause of this new manifestation.
I`m giving myself a week or so to get back into my old work routine, and then if no change it`s off to the docs.

In some ways this is nothing when compared to my original condition three years ago.

But I am sick of feeling "fuzzy", I hate the mood swings that are so fast you have no time to talk your self out of it.
That hot flush that starts at your feet, that you can feel rushing up over your entire body.
The nausea, I guess you are part of this too.
The sweat, God I hate the sweat, to be just sitting there and it`s pouring off you, sick of waking up to wet sheets, hate it.
Tired of feeling out of sync with everyone else, having to fight to keep my mind on the conversation at hand.
I miss my spontaneity, where is all that great stuff that used to just jump into my head.

To everyone who has either posted, PMed, IMed or just worried, Thank you.
This community has been so supportive to me and everyone else who is suffering.

Last edited:
ARE U UNDER STRESS?

READ BEFORE SEEING THE PICTURE

The following picture was used in a case study on stress level at St.
Mary's Hospital. Look at both dolphins jumping out of the water.
Both dolphins are identical. The researchers concluded that a
person is under stress if he/she finds both dolphins look different. If
there are many differences found between both dolphins, it means that the
person is experiencing a great amount of stress. So, if you see too many
differences between the two dolphins, you are advised to pack your bag, go
home immediately and take a rest ......

Attachments

• stress dolphin.gif
    stress dolphin.gif
    62.9 KB · Views: 76
quoll said:
ARE U UNDER STRESS?

Lol, that was hilarious. It was immediately clear though that the left dolphin looked kinda funny.

By the way, I know two other people who have regularly visited a psychiatrist (even though out of different reasons than me) but we kinda try to come up with psychiatrist-jokes. I think one of the best signs for being able to cope with the situation is when you're also able to joke about your own desease.

'How many psychiatrists does it need to screw in a light bulb ?'

- 'None, the bulb has to do it itself'

Snoopy, :)

quoll said:
ARE U UNDER STRESS?

LOL very cute... helped break my mood. thanks hun! :kiss:

Symptoms of Depression
ALTHOUGH it is often classed as 'mental illness', clinical depression often has as many physical symptoms as mental. The feelings or emotions that are depression symptoms actually begin to cause the physical effects. How this happens is a vital part of understanding depression and the symptoms that come with it.

If you are depressed at the moment some of the following symptoms may sound familiar:
You feel miserable and sad.
You feel exhausted a lot of the time with no energy .
You feel as if even the smallest tasks are sometimes impossible.
You seldom enjoy the things that you used to enjoy-you may be off sex or food or may 'comfort eat' to excess.
You feel very anxious sometimes.

You don't want to see people or are scared to be left alone. Social activity may feel hard or impossible.

You find it difficult to think clearly.

You feel like a failure and/or feel guilty a lot of the time.

You feel a burden to others.

You sometimes feel that life isn't worth living.

You can see no future. There is a loss of hope. You feel all you've ever done is make mistakes and that's all that you ever will do.
You feel irritable or angry more than usual.

You feel you have no confidence.

You spend a lot of time thinking about what has gone wrong, what will go wrong or what is wrong about yourself as a person. You may also feel guilty sometimes about being critical of others (or even thinking critically about them).
You feel that life is unfair.

You have difficulty sleeping or wake up very early in the morning and can't sleep again. You seem to dream all night long and sometimes have disturbing dreams.

You feel that life has/is 'passing you by.'

You may have physical aches and pains which appear to have no physical cause, such as back pain.

It's this wealth of depression symptoms, and the broad scope that confuses many people as to what depression actually is. Explanations rarely cover all the symptoms, and everybody's experience is different.

HELLO, WELCOME TO PSYCHIATRIC HOTLINE

If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2
If you have multiple personalities, please press 3,4,5 and 6.
If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.

quoll said:

If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I am so screwed.

stingray61 said:
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! I am so screwed.

I`m sorry, there is no one here to take you call right now. :D

quoll said:

Should I press 1, no no no...can't that might be wrong....
If I press 2, who will press 2?...oh no, no one will press 2....
I need to find out from the others about pressing 3,4,5 and 6...
Hey, who is behind me, quit following me....yeah you.....
Good, no one will answer, to scared to talk to anyone anyway.

:)

cymbline said:
Should I press 1, no no no...can't that might be wrong....
If I press 2, who will press 2?...oh no, no one will press 2....
I need to find out from the others about pressing 3,4,5 and 6...
Hey, who is behind me, quit following me....yeah you.....
Good, no one will answer, to scared to talk to anyone anyway.

:)

lol.. you're funny Cym...

Originally posted by cymbline
:rose: :heart:

quoll said:
Even the smallest of cracks will let the sunshine in.

OMG,:eek: :eek: Dear sweet Cym, when I wrote this it was meant to be a supportive gesture.
Last night my perverts mind kicked in, I thought of those words, then I thought of your AV :D *snicker*, I suppose it`s really a compliment ;) .:heart: :kiss:

Back