When the writing bug bites

Thefireflies

Virgin
It’s happening again. The clock approaches 10 pm, everyone’s mostly in bed, and I could go to sleep too. I should go to sleep. Sleep is important. But I’m driven by another need, because there’s others counting on me to give them life, even if it's brief. Turning my computer on, I sit and consider the time.

Okay, I’ll write till 11:30, then call it quits…

Yeah, right, we know the score. But get cracking, because time ain’t stopping for no one. I open the file, find the relevant document, then start reading to get my bearings…

The dogs heard Bridget pull into our driveway before I did, their heads rising from the rug and tails wagging. Now when I look up from my tablet, she walks towards me like a warrior queen, lips pursed tight, eyes glaring through her glasses… *

Ah, yes, okay, she’s pissed off with him for letting her down, and he knows he’s in the shit. I remember. Right, change this word, change that sentence…swap the order of a paragraph, nope, the first version was better, oh, I should add the notes I’d mentally made earlier in the day when my thought wandered to their world…right, time to continue writing their story…

Tippety, tappity, type, type, type…

Bam, it’s 11:30 pm. Shit, where’d the time go? Better get to bed. Sleep is required for real life and real life’s coming at me thick and fast when I wake in the morning. The page stares at me, bright on my screen in my dim office, and I rub my eyes. But I can’t leave my two main characters mid conversation, they have to resolve their issue, and I have to get these ideas down too. I type on.

Oops, look it's 1 am. Where’d the fucking time go? What happened to 12 midnight? Right, enough’s enough, this is ridiculous. Just finish typing a few rough notes on how to proceed…done.

Okay, I have to go. Farewell my friends, I will think of you and your journey and hope to get back to you…tonight actually, same time, same place.

I save the document, including a back-up on the external drive, taking extra care not to accidently delete the file in my sleepy state, something I’ve almost done once before. Finally it’s time to shut my computer down.

I know I’ll be tired when I wake in a few hours. I’m also well aware I’d put off starting a new story partly for this very reason, because the writing bug bites like an addictive drug, where once started, a little writing is never enough. Once the seed of a story germinates onto the page, I feel the need to write more and more and see it through to the end. Worse case, the story withers and dies, but best case the process can be better than reading a page turner novel or very good LitE story, or binge watching an excellent TV series, because it’s up to me to create the world and what happens next.

And this is the problem, because even If I have a rough idea of what happens next, I want to see it unfold! Even if I don’t publish, even if it does eventually wither. However, when a story really gets going I want to see it thrive, but it’s not going to happen until around 10 pm. For now my head hits the pillow, and after being held at bay for several hours, my sleep comes swiftly.

*Actual excerpt from my foolishly started recent draft I may or may not finish

Not everyone finishes every draft. It can be difficult for a series that doesn't seem to go anywhere. But if you're happy doing it, successful or not for any particular piece, then that is fine.

Luckily I don't have this issue, I literally tried to write a little last night, because I knew the fireworks would keep me awake anyway, but just couldn't. Instead my old ass turned on a fan, my white noise generator, and the TV with 6 hours of White Noise and fell asleep. I do sometimes get up (not so) bright and (way too) early when the next part of a story demands to climb out of my brain, but that's rare.

But I do procrastinate. Usually asking myself, "Did you finish that story where the guy thinks his girlfriend is cheating on him on Halloween with a guy dressed as a lumberjack? And her sister is there too! Fuck I search my Google Drive for Lumberjack, where the hell did it go? Was it not a lumberjack? Did I change it to Dracula or something?" And then I lose an hour because I've skimmed ten other stories where lumberjack, lumber jack, or woodsman was included. Only to discover I'd written myself into a corner that I didn't like the story ending on, don't have the hear to cut half of it out, so I just leave it for another day.

When the writing bug bites me, I reach for the Benadryl. Helps with the itch. 😜

Sounds like it's time for an AA (Author's Anonymous) 13 step program.

'Hi, I'm Fireflies, and I'm an author...'
Look, I can stop anytime, and anyway, it’s only 1 draught, I mean draft. Just a little one, what’s it going to hurt. I’ll keep it below 10,000 words this time…

…oh, 17,000 words already, how’d that happen? And ironically the MC is realising he might be developing a drinking problem!

Running a check on the modification times of my things... The average is between 2300 and 0400 hours...

Two windows open on my computer... In one there's an article up about bug repellent... I glance over to the and the first thing I see is "when the ... bug bites' and then I read the full sentence and grin.

Now I'm trying to think of an 'erotic story' involving repelling bugs from biting. It's not coming together in my head, but it really wants to be in there. ;)

For me the writing bug can hit and I will rapid turn out several thousand words, then I get to a single paragraph and look at it wondering... OK, I know what comes next, but the transition isn't forming in my head.

In my stories this is often when some random non-sequitur event occurs.

'We were talking about the evening, having a great time, as these 100 lines of dialogue relate, then some giant alien bug guy ran by outside and opened his trench coat flashing a throbbing thorax at the window, as we got up to go to the dance floor.' ;)
- That naked bug only being there in this imaginary example because we're pretending this is the point between two moments where I ran thin on transition ideas.

(OK yeah, maybe bug-erotica doesn't work so well... :D)

Look, I can stop anytime, and anyway, it’s only 1 draught, I mean draft. Just a little one, what’s it going to hurt. I’ll keep it below 10,000 words this time…

…oh, 17,000 words already, how’d that happen? And ironically the MC is realising he might be developing a drinking problem!
It didn't take me 17,000 words. In my 750-word story, the author realized he might be drinking too much!

Two windows open on my computer... In one there's an article up about bug repellent... I glance over to the and the first thing I see is "when the ... bug bites' and then I read the full sentence and grin.

Now I'm trying to think of an 'erotic story' involving repelling bugs from biting. It's not coming together in my head, but it really wants to be in there. ;)

For me the writing bug can hit and I will rapid turn out several thousand words, then I get to a single paragraph and look at it wondering... OK, I know what comes next, but the transition isn't forming in my head.

'We were talking about the evening, having a great time, as these 100 lines of dialogue relate, then some giant alien bug guy ran by outside and opened his trench coat flashing a throbbing thorax at the window, as we got up to go to the dance floor.' ;)
- That naked bug only being there in this imaginary example because we're pretending this is the point between two moments where I ran thin on transition ideas.

Two pubic lice from different worlds are forced together as their forests of thick curly hairs unexpectedly collide. They’re squished and drenched in a gushing sticky flood as they hold on for dear lice, and hold on they do, one becoming entangled in this new and different land as their old home seemingly lifts off, never to be seen again. Despite the initial crabbiness of original occupant of the new forest, they quickly become accustomed to one another, soon giving into the urgent need rising within…

It's worst, IMO, when the bug hits when you're at work, hands full (literally), and there's still many hours on the clock left before end of shift. Especially since I know I'll be too exhausted after work to write, unless I want to borrow from my sleep time.
I do at least take a moment to jot down the basic premise to visit when leisure (and my Muse) allow, but that notepad list never seems to get any shorter...

This post was born out of my other hobby, procrastination.
This sounds like the opposite of procrastinton, in which someone can't do something. In your case, you can't stop doing something. Well, you're avoiding sleep, which sort of qualifies.

In any case there is only so much I can write in one swoop, at whatever time of the day. I may be able to get back to it later. But I start to lose focus and I have to give myself some time to get into it again - like maybe the next day.

It's worst, IMO, when the bug hits when you're at work, hands full (literally), and there's still many hours on the clock left before end of shift. Especially since I know I'll be too exhausted after work to write, unless I want to borrow from my sleep time.
I do at least take a moment to jot down the basic premise to visit when leisure (and my Muse) allow, but that notepad list never seems to get any shorter...
You still have to write them down anyway. I find that I won't remember it if I rely on memory alone.

I have a note file on my phone for that.
I have an iPhone, the second one I've had, but that little keyboard on the screen is tough on my aging eyes and hands. In fact, the small screen itself is a problem. I do use the Dell desktop for notes, and I will often start the story on the same page, usually below the notes section.

This sounds like the opposite of procrastinton, in which someone can't do something. In your case, you can't stop doing something. Well, you're avoiding sleep, which sort of qualifies.
I think at the time I could have been writing the story, but ended up writing the thread about writing the story! I did eventually finish and publish the story too.

Currently I'm trying to get a story going for the Heartbeats event, but having some struggles with time and procrastination again.

I think at the time I could have been writing the story, but ended up writing the thread about writing the story! I did eventually finish and publish the story too.

Currently I'm trying to get a story going for the Heartbeats event, but having some struggles with time and procrastination again
You are not the only one writing too much on threads. It can be weirdly addictive. :confused:

Back