The usual tropes

Funnily enough, I had a guy favourite my story His Sister in His Lap. When I went to check his other stories he had literally 15 stories with 'lap' in either the title or the description. You're probably going to get at least one other follower from the story, unique or not.
On one hand it's nice to have followers, but on the other they don't seem to do much in regards to comments and voting. When I check their profiles, they may have dozens of favorite authors and hundreds of favorite stories. As I've stated before, reading Lit seems to be one of their hobbies.

I've realised I love the "oh no, there's only one bed!" trope.... but that might be because of all those times when real life was stranger than fiction!
I tried constructing an I/T story to see if I could do it and not squick myself.
It's called 'Only One Bed, Again!' cos that's half the plot. I used the 'oops, I saw my brother naked in the shower and then he tripped over me' trope as well - a lot of I/T stories used that one.

I tried constructing an I/T story to see if I could do it and not squick myself.
It's called 'Only One Bed, Again!' cos that's half the plot. I used the 'oops, I saw my brother naked in the shower and then he tripped over me' trope as well - a lot of I/T stories used that one.

A lot of stories period use that one. Men getting laid by accident is extremely popular.

A lot of stories period use that one. Men getting laid by accident is extremely popular.
A lot of people trying to seduce other people - at least when they're young and sleeping on a floor after a party is the default option - use that one, too.
(fond memories of student days)

The fantasy tropes of 'savage' barbarians are so fun for me to write and play around with. I love worldbuilding and giving depth to cultures that at first glance we would dismiss as savage and primitive.

@karina_jayde, I just finished reading:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53132359-forgotten-peoples-of-the-ancient-world

I think you'll find a lot of inspirational material in it. I especially liked the Thracians, who may be the inspiration for the ancient Greek myth of the Amazons. Also the Sabine women. And the Iceni.

VM

One of the most fun tropes I have used was that of the 'Large Ham'. The best example was Salvatore Stefani in 'Sexy Savannah From Number 9', the loud authoritarian Italian-Australian father of the main character Dino. Mr Stefani is constantly shouting at and belittling his son (who is a lazy slacker and completely unsympathetic) and punishes him in various ways. These include making him repeat Year 12 at high school at age 19, forcing him to sit on the floor and eat his dinner with the cat after coming home late, tipping him out of bed and pouring icy cold water all over him when he accidentally over-sleeps, constantly calling him a 'poofter', 'faggot', 'homo' and 'retard', making him scrub oil stains off a driveway with a toothbrush and when Dino forgets his biology text-book bringing it to the school, smashing it over his son's head and berating him loudly in front of the entire class then grounding him.

I also enjoy writing stories involving female characters who are rich spoiled brats, and male characters who are slacker ne'er do well types.

It's not so much a trope but I have fun writing characters who are stupid. Like Debbie, the dopey titular character from 'Debbie the Dumb Gold-Digger' who constantly misses the point and at best is semi-literate. Then there's Todd from 'The PTA Queen Bee & the Teen Rebel' story series, a fat bully who is so stupid that he thinks about himself in the third person and it takes nearly half an hour for him to work out that his skinny sister's comment about him looking like the Hindenburg is her insulting him for being obese. And when Todd bullies some younger kids and gets one of their older brothers offside and determined to take revenge, Todd congratulates himself that the place he selected to hide from his pursuer - the girls' toilets - proves Todd is a genius and is a fool-proof solution and nothing at all could possibly go wrong with it.

IMO anything realistic will be a trope, how can it not be?

Watched a Noir film for the late 40s today. Robert Mitchum played a resident doctor at hospital in San Francisco who treated a woman who'd attempted suicide. She wrangled him into an affair and told him about her abusive father. Turns out, he wasn't abusive, he wasn't her father, he didn't care if she ran away with someone as long as they understood what they getting themselves into. Mitchum confronted the father/husband after the woman feigned being hurt by him. The supposed abuse being he ripped an earing from her. The two wrestled around, the husband finally hits Mitchum with a fireplace tool, not the poker, Robert Mitchum hits before he goes down and the husband falls and hits his head. He's out cold, Mitchum has a concussion and goes to get water to give hubby when he can get him awake. When comes back his woman says her husband is dead. they go on the lamb and trouble follows them as they rush to border of Mexico.

The husband was murdered by the wife, she smothered him. Eventually, as Mitchum gets worse and worse from the blow on his noggin, he figures out what happened. Anyway, you know the set up, go watch the movie, Where Danger Lives, Featuring Robert Mitchum, Faith Domergue and Claude Rains. Faith's name is pronounced Domure, it's French Cajon. It's filled with Noir tropes, so tropey you'll trip over them, but you'll love the film because of the acting. Claude Rains is only in one scene would have been better if they developed his character a bit more. But if they did that, you'd figure out she was a bucket full bat-shit-crazy too soon.

No, I gave you highlights, not much detail. But the bat-shit-crazy part, I figured out as soon as it was revealed he was her husband not her father. Robert Mitchum was a bit slow on the uptake, but he did have a concession and subdural hematoma to deal with. He was so deliciously able to play hero or villain with such panache and was incredibly handsome who cared if he was dumb a stump? I figure any of you are at least as intelligent as me, and being writers will know by instinct what's what. It isn't the most complicated of plots, its only a fair script. But first rate acting lifts it out of the merely routine.
You just told us.

No, I gave you highlights, not much detail. But the bat-shit-crazy part, I figured out as soon as it was revealed he was her husband not her father. Robert Mitchum was a bit slow on the uptake, but he did have a concession and subdural hematoma to deal with. He was so deliciously able to play hero or villain with such panache and was incredibly handsome who cared if he was dumb a stump? I figure any of you are at least as intelligent as me, and being writers will know by instinct what's what. It isn't the most complicated of plots, its only a fair script. But first rate acting lifts it out of the merely routine.

Well then I guess that they could have put more Claude Rains in after all.

I finished the story I mentioned in the OP.
A Bumpy Ride my spin on the "Mom sit's on my lap while Dad drives", trope. .
I was concerned it wouldn't do well in the category and because it's non-incestual, but it looks to be well received.

I finished the story I mentioned in the OP.
A Bumpy Ride my spin on the "Mom sit's on my lap while Dad drives", trope. .
I was concerned it wouldn't do well in the category and because it's non-incestual, but it looks to be well received.
I tried to get a new spin on that old trope because I've heard it so often and it's done so well. (It's a stepmom, so technically it's non-incestual.) My first gimmick was that the woman was doing the driving, and it was for a moving van company she works for. Then I heard about U.S. 50 in Nevada, the "loneliest road in America." I decided to put the two together and see what happened. Not a red H, but it got 186 votes and a respectable (in my opinion) 4.17. Also, I thought it best if she was the narrator.

I still got a couple of nit-pickers anyway.

https://classic.literotica.com/s/trucker-mom-1

Some breeds of cats like water, but not many. My dad's tortious shell, Abyssinian, loves water. Dad has to shut the door if he takes a bath so she doesn't get in with him. However, if he takes a shower, she's right there with him. My plain jane hodge-podge tortious shell hates water.
Unlike dogs, cats don't like being washed, even if they need it once it an while. I had to do it once to a now long-gone cat who got something on his fur. He did put up with it.

We used to have a cat with a really thick coat who just never noticed water. Rain, shower, regardless, he'd be quite happy. Because he knew I'd get a towel and dry him, or else he'd rub his wet fur against my leg. (Strange how it was never the wife who got the wet-cat treatment.)

Back