The Exorcist (the real one), what'd you think the first time?

We got us some mean-assed catfish here in Okieland, so I know what you mean. Ever noodled a big ole blue cat from under a bank, and not been worried he was going leave you with only a stump?
I agree with your dad. I've been in situations that scared me spitless, but I tried (and mostly succeeded) in not letting it show, at least too much.

I saw the exorcist when it came out in '73. And yes it scared the crap out of me. But it didn't stick with me. That kind of scary movie just doesn't. The ones that do are those that are plausible. Being a hunter and a fisherman most of my life the two that gave me nightmares were Jaws and The Ghost and the Darkness.

After seeing Jaws, every time I went out fishing that fucking music would play through my head and I'd find myself glancing around into the water waiting for a dorsal fin to appear.

The Ghost and the Darkness was even worse. I read the original account of the incident of the Tsavo maneaters in Argosy magazine as a kid and the struggle of Col. Patterson to kill them. For a long time after I read it, my well-developed imagination caused all kinds of disturbing dreams and evil shadows stalking me through the woods to appear. It got even worse after watching the movie. There is a scene where Patterson's wife arrives and is standing on the train platform holding their baby, waiting for him. As he sees her he also sees movement in the tall grass next to the train platform and realizes it's one of the lions. He runs towards her but never makes it as a lion bounds from the grass and takes his wife and child down. That scene caused me a few weeks of nightmares.

Comshaw

We got us some mean-assed catfish here in Okieland, so I know what you mean. Ever noodled a big ole blue cat from under a bank, and not been worried he was going leave you with only a stump?
My dad told me stories about noodling catfish in the creeks in Oklahoma. He said one time he reached into an underwater hole in the bank and after feeling around grabbed hold of something and pulled it out. It wasn't a catfish. It was a 3' long Water Moccasin. Luckily he had grabbed it right behind the head. I think that would be one of those times I show some fear!

I saw advertisements for noodling trips down there. I've considered it. I'd love to grab hold of one of those big ol' yella cats and drag em' out of a hole.

Comshaw

Back