The death of the stick shift

Many of us learned heel toe techniques back in the day when autos were very inefficient and hand brakes even less so (and a hill start was required). I learned on a car without synchromesh on first gear so balancing accelerator/brake with the same foot was essential.

I now drive a mixture of autos and sticks and I don't even have to think which one I'm in today, it's all (erm) automatic. But paddle changes I can't get on with, even when trying to drive quickly. They're just one more gimmicky toy that salesmen boast about but you never actually use in real life along with the dozens of other options buried deep in the menus.

My first vehicle I drove was my fathers 1950 Ford truck. It had a non synchronized 4 speed transmission. This meant you had to “double clutch”. Put the truck in gear, push the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and depress it again, then put it in the next gear and release. You never had to use 1st or granny gear on the road so technically it was only 3 speed. But that truck was fun as hell to drive. It made me a better driver and I had to pay attention. I should mention the brakes had to be pumped up before you could stop. I learned to drive with no brakes and to this day keep my following distance. I hate people who tailgate so close, its why theres so many rear enders.
Ive had several manual transmission vehicles and liked them but as I get older i prefer automatic. Hell, even big semis are going auto and use a computer to select the correct gear….not a fan.
Dont get me started on EVs. Look at the amount of energy it takes to obtain the metals to make the batteries. Plus, the amount of electrical strain on the grid to recharge them. No one seems to think about the energy needed to recharge them. What are we going to do with the batteries once there past the useful life cycle?? Im not saying we dont need an alternative but I dont think EVs are going to save the planet. Stick or no stick.

I've driven some godawful manuals in my time, nasty notchy ones and vague sloppy ones, but I still love it. There's just something satisfying about matching engine revs to gear selection, or a fast pull-away snicking up through the box and keeping it on the torque, or the continual concentration when on a twisty mountain road. Autos are just dumb by comparison. I know people will say they've got much better but I've driven plenty including a Nissan CVT, an old three-speed in an FX4 taxi and a modern 9-speed in some continent-sized minivan I rented last time I was in the US, and I remain unconvinced.

No need to tell me how great your auto is in your Porsche or Audi, I'm not in the market for those kind of cars. I like my little sweet-shifting, free-revving and 2008-vintage Micra just fine (although it could really use a sixth cog for motorways).

My first time driving in England (2012) and they had a Nissan Juke. Stick shift. Hadn’t driven one in many years, but got the hang of it pretty quickly, even if the gear shift was on the left instead of the right.

Pedals were in the same order at least.

Driving in England on the left side of the road was another matter all together! The roundabouts… the navigation system was somehow set to avoid all major roads, and I couldn’t figure out how to change the mode.

A 2 hr ride from London to Wolverhampton took 6 hours and 3739936727199 roundabouts.

My first vehicle I drove was my fathers 1950 Ford truck. It had a non synchronized 4 speed transmission. This meant you had to “double clutch”. Put the truck in gear, push the clutch, put it in neutral, release the clutch and depress it again, then put it in the next gear and release.
lol, this got me recalling my first truck, can't recall the year but it was a Black Mercury side step with a three on the tree. It also had the floor starter switch and the manual choke. Such a treat to start in the winter around here....

My first time driving in England (2012) and they had a Nissan Juke. Stick shift. Hadn’t driven one in many years, but got the hang of it pretty quickly, even if the gear shift was on the left instead of the right.

Pedals were in the same order at least.

Driving in England on the left side of the road was another matter all together! The roundabouts… the navigation system was somehow set to avoid all major roads, and I couldn’t figure out how to change the mode.

A 2 hr ride from London to Wolverhampton took 6 hours and 3739936727199 roundabouts.
I can't get on with sat-navs either. I'll either check online maps before I go or navigate by instinct. Go north for an hour, east for 30 mins, that sort of thing. The only time I can recall getting lost in the last 20 years was when I tried sat-nav, it took me on some God-awful roads and I didn't have a clue where I was. It made me feel ill.

Back