text formatting advice

BorderKalley

new here
I noticed that the story I published after copy-paste the text from Word lost the formatting. namely italic text was no longer formatted.
I re-uploaded the text as a Word document for republish but it takes a long time, and the worst part is that I can't see the preview so it might not work as I hope.

instead of manually adding tags to the italic text, I'd like to know if there is a way to save \ turn a Word document into one with proper tags.

Google was no help :(

thank,

Not that I know of. Did you mark the italic text manually this way: <i>begin/</i>end? In copy/paste in the text box, italics have to be manually supplied, I think.

I'll tell you what works for me. I copy and paste like you do. but I always add the HTML coding after the text is in the submission box. Usually it's italics, bold, or a link to another story. If it shows up in "preview mode", it will always show up in the published version. By sure to read through in preview mode a couple of times, and there should be no surprises. I wouldn't depend on the Word coding to make it through, although I've never tried it. Also, read it in "editing mode" at least once.

One quirk. If you use the br (break code), don't add a return after it unless you want the extra line space. Does that make sense, even though it doesn't seem to be an issue with you?

P.S.: Emily and Keith have basically said the same thing above.

Google "export Word to HTML," then paste the exported HTML into Literotica's plain text entry.

Do preview. I would be surprised if the results were correct. Word is very likely to use features of HTML that Literotica does not support. But maybe you'll get lucky.

haha, the story literally just got re-published with the Word document, and the formatting worked perfectly.

Google "export Word to HTML," then paste the exported HTML into Literotica's plain text entry.

Do preview. I would be surprised if the results were correct. Word is very likely to use features of HTML that Literotica does not support. But maybe you'll get lucky.
Tried that, the export works badly

I'll tell you what works for me. I copy and paste like you do. but I always add the HTML coding after the text is in the submission box. Usually it's italics, bold, or a link to another story. If it shows up in "preview mode", it will always show up in the published version. By sure to read through in preview mode a couple of times, and there should be no surprises. I wouldn't depend on the Word coding to make it through, although I've never tried it. Also, read it in "editing mode" at least once.

One quirk. If you use the br (break code), don't add a return after it unless you want the extra line space. Does that make sense, even though it doesn't seem to be an issue with you?

P.S.: Emily and Keith have basically said the same thing above.
Do you add the coding manually?

Since you mentioned uploading a corrected version: I believe an uploaded document can be previewed just like a cut-and-paste job. I've never tried that myself, but it should work. Expect it to take a while to be approved by the moderator (one person, I think!) Last summer she was really busy and it took four weeks for the new version to show up. More recently, it only took about five days.

Is it really that hard to just tag yourself?

You avoid so many problems.

Emily

The tags I know Lit supports are:

Font:

<em> and <i> works as well
<strong> and <b> works as well
<u>
<kbd> useful for messages

Alignment:

<center>
<p align…>

Lists:

<ul>
<ol>
<li>

Anchors:

<a href…> can only be to Lit pages
Haven’t tried regular anchors - not least as you can’t predict pagination in advance, but they probably work

Some people say <blockquote> used to work, but it doesn’t for me

I probably forgot something.

Emily

Font:

<u>

Alignment:

<center>
<p align…>

Lists:

<ul>
<ol>
<li>

Anchors:

Haven’t tried regular anchors - not least as you can’t predict pagination in advance, but they probably work

Emily
I've tried <blockquote> in a dummy "test" file I use for experiments, and I can't get it to work either.

Yes, you can only link to other parts of Lit from a story. In the Forum, however, people can - and do - link to just about anything.

I use a macro you can put into MS Word that turns a formatted Word doc into clean HTML to paste into the Lit submission box (using Word's Save as HTML is useless... it makes an unworkable mess). The macro is on my blog: MS Word to HTML converter for Literotica authors

There's also a similar but slightly less capable service at TextFixer. Search for "TextFixer Convert Word DOC to HTML"

I noticed that the story I published after copy-paste the text from Word lost the formatting. namely italic text was no longer formatted.
I re-uploaded the text as a Word document for republish but it takes a long time, and the worst part is that I can't see the preview so it might not work as I hope.

instead of manually adding tags to the italic text, I'd like to know if there is a way to save \ turn a Word document into one with proper tags.

Google was no help :(

thank,
For future reference, since you're using Word, you can do an advanced search/replace to add appropriate tags without having to do each one manually (and risk missing some or making a tagging typo). I recommend eliminating any headings you might be using, since those aren't supported by Lit, but it doesn't matter too much if you leave them in.

Procedure:
From the Home tab, select Replace, then More>>, then the Format dropdown and Font from the list. That will open the normal font menu, where you can select italicized text (or bold, or by size, or any other configuration you might need).
Leave the "Find What" field on the Replace menu blank, and in the "Replace With" field enter the following:
<i>^&</i>

You can put other things beside the <i> stuff, such as <b> for bold, as others have mentioned. The ^& simply denotes that whatever text is included in a segment that meets the search parameter will be placed inside the bracketed tags. Also note that this method works best for italicized words or sentences inside paragraphs. If you have entire paragraphs that are italicized or bold, the closing tag might wind up at the beginning of the following paragraph, depending on how you are separating those; if there's hidden markup, for example <p> for a paragraph break, it gets included in the italics, which forces the closing tag to the next line. So just be aware that you should do a search for the tags afterwards to make sure they're deployed in the correct places, at least until you know if your settings result in that kind of error.

You can then copy and paste the tagged text as plain text into the editor for the preview feature.

Font:

<u>

Alignment:

<center>
<p align…>

Lists:

<ul>
<ol>
<li>

Anchors:

Emily
My previous stories have been submitted as a Word doc with standard formatting. If I want use indents and italics in a new story, I would copy/paste the story into the Story text box and then manually add the tags and then save as a draft and I can review how the story looks?

I use a macro you can put into MS Word that turns a formatted Word doc into clean HTML to paste into the Lit submission box (using Word's Save as HTML is useless... it makes an unworkable mess). The macro is on my blog: MS Word to HTML converter for Literotica authors

There's also a similar but slightly less capable service at TextFixer. Search for "TextFixer Convert Word DOC to HTML"
I read your post "Does mid-story sex boost scores". In a long story I believe it helps to have some spicy tidbits along the way, keeps it interesting for the reader since that is probably most what they are looking for in a Lit story. I don't have a wordpress account so could not comment on your site. Thanks for the macro, I will give a try when my story is done.

Since you mentioned uploading a corrected version: I believe an uploaded document can be previewed just like a cut-and-paste job. I've never tried that myself, but it should work. Expect it to take a while to be approved by the moderator (one person, I think!) Last summer she was really busy and it took four weeks for the new version to show up. More recently, it only took about five days.
No, you can only preview something if it's in the text box - which is why that method is foolproof.

No, you can only preview something if it's in the text box - which is why that method is foolproof.
Actually, uploading .txt at least used to allow preview... If you can get that to work. Uploading in .txt broke for me years ago and I haven't tried since. I'm going to give it the old college try the next time I manage to finish something and see if whatever bug I ran into has been fixed.

Actually, uploading .txt at least used to allow preview... If you can get that to work. Uploading in .txt broke for me years ago and I haven't tried since. I'm going to give it the old college try the next time I manage to finish something and see if whatever bug I ran into has been fixed.
Interesting - not when I used to load it. I used .txt then .rtf for a while, but both broke for me when Lit did an upgrade must be five or six years ago now, and I've copy/paste ever since. Preview has never gone wrong for me. There's a lot of device specific quirks with file uploads, that's for sure.

Back