Tennessee parents tell school board off after it canceled an all-inclusive Mothers Day library session

butters

High on a Hill
it was cancelled after the loud and well-connected right-wing, anti-progression group Mothers (Against—as it's becoming known) Liberty kicked off, complaining it pushed an LGBTQ+ agenda. The session was intended to include all children, those who have lost mothers, have no mothers, are adopted, a part of blended families etc... it was all about reflecting the diversity of the students it caters for. The parents, I'm happy to say, who took the school to task made up the majority of those involved with the school on a daily basis, who called the right-wing group the 'loud minority'. Does my heart good to see, that even in Tennessee, things can be changing for the better; one dad, spoke out in defense of the librarian and the session's inclusivity, pointing out that those who were shouting the loudest weren't the ones involved deeply with the school's day to day events and upkeep.
I've never seen them there shoveling mulch, putting up swing sets, painting door frames. We're here in the trenches. We're here with these children. This is 2023. I'm a Christian man, married to a woman, but I think everyone should be represented fairly. If you want to keep your kids in a closet and just shelter them from everything, homeschool them. Send them to Christian school. This is a public school for everyone. Everyone. I've dealt with that woman. She loves these kids.

Various mothers didn't hold back.
A majority of families have been denied an important lesson in our increasingly diversified world, and a platform was given to a group of fear-mongering extremists. This group claims that a story about a bear is pushing trans ideology, and a story about a girl feeling left out during Mother's Day is pushing a homosexual agenda. They say this is 'sexualization of children' when they're the only ones that brought sex into it. The only agenda I'm seeing play out is that of Moms for Liberty, a well-funded and connected political group that prays on vulnerable people with manufactured outrage and the guise of protecting children.
I'm here right now to protect my children from them. I'd have to strongly disagree that this group cares about the safety of all kids. The motivation behind the cancellation of a compassionate literacy lesson sends a message to minorities and LGBTQ families that their existence is unacceptable. By shielding your kids from love that looks different than yours, you're turning them into bullies and crippling them from living successfully in a diverse world.

another, pointing out the irony of what students are taught about standing up to bullying and yet the board kowtowed to bullies:
Instead of backing Mrs. Mickey up, you let the bullies win. When you let the bullies win, they're going to keep bullying. I understand that these adult bullies have intimidated and incited an ungodly amount of hate in our community. But you HCS leadership and admin must show them that you have a zero-tolerance policy for bullying. When you have a board policy that states you expect all students to treat each other with civility and respect, and then you let grown adults bully one of your educators, and you let them interrupt the education of our students, you're teaching the community that you don't actually mean what you say. What about my right? Why wasn't my voice heard before you decided to cancel this lesson?
I'll finish with this. My child repeats this pledge at school every day. I'm respectful. I'm responsible. I'm caring. I'm ready to learn. I have tiger pride. You know what other lesson Alpine Crest students learn? Don't be a bystander, be an upstander and support and protect your peers against bullying. I think HCS leadership and admin would benefit from learning that lesson. Let's hope you don't decide to cancel that one too.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/y...1&cvid=de74a2bd89444f7cb2251fbc2e2994c9&ei=14

it was cancelled after the loud and well-connected right-wing, anti-progression group Mothers (Against—as it's becoming known) Liberty kicked off, complaining it pushed an LGBTQ+ agenda. The session was intended to include all children, those who have lost mothers, have no mothers, are adopted, a part of blended families etc... it was all about reflecting the diversity of the students it caters for. The parents, I'm happy to say, who took the school to task made up the majority of those involved with the school on a daily basis, who called the right-wing group the 'loud minority'. Does my heart good to see, that even in Tennessee, things can be changing for the better; one dad, spoke out in defense of the librarian and the session's inclusivity, pointing out that those who were shouting the loudest weren't the ones involved deeply with the school's day to day events and upkeep.

Various mothers didn't hold back.

another, pointing out the irony of what students are taught about standing up to bullying and yet the board kowtowed to bullies:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/y...1&cvid=de74a2bd89444f7cb2251fbc2e2994c9&ei=14

That school board is comprised of cowardly snowflakes.

JFC

SAD!!!

If they're getting this kind of blowback in Tennessee, just imagine what the haters are in for nationwide...

Back