Some quick questions

HiddenEyes056

Virgin
Hi there, friends!

I like smut-writing, but I ended up growing bored with the monotony of 'I thrust, you thrust' that was all part and parcel of the average ERP. Then, after finding a particularly interesting story to read on Chyoo, I thought I'd try my hand at making my own.

Just wanted to ask a few questions though. The site isn't the easiest to work with, though it's clear that a good effort has been made (which I highly appreciate).
Question 1 - How do I insert a person's name? There's a prompt for a user's name at the start, should one wish it, but I'm not sure how to insert it. Is it just something like (first name) (last name)?

Question 2 - How long does it generally take until a story is 'approved'? I'm not even sure if this is preventing me from doing anything, but that little 'pending approval' bothers me slightly.

Question 3 - How do I deal with some of the weird stuff the site throws at me? Weird stuff includes:
- Pressing '<< Prev' button often brings me to a blank page
- Pressing 'Add New Thread' often brings me to a blank page (though I've been using that work-around with changing the URL to help with this)
- Pressing 'Link Thread often brings me to a blank page and also I don't know what it's meant to do anyway.
- Start Over also brings me to a blank page.

Apart from that, CHYOO's a pretty great place! I wouldn't stick around if I didn't think it was at least kinda cool. The potential is phenomenal.

yeah but its been in a pretty bad state for a while haha, it wasn't working for a couple of weeks recently :(

Last edited:
Question 1 - How do I insert a person's name? There's a prompt for a user's name at the start, should one wish it, but I'm not sure how to insert it. Is it just something like (first name) (last name)?

Adding it into a thread is done by writing "{FIRST_NAME}" for the first name, and "{LAST_NAME}" for the last name; obviously no quotes. Adding it to your own story is done by selecting the box next to "Prompt for Reader's Name"; this creates the prompt on the cover page.

Question 2 - How long does it generally take until a story is 'approved'? I'm not even sure if this is preventing me from doing anything, but that little 'pending approval' bothers me slightly.

It doesn't hinder you, provided there's no reason for the moderators to delete the story (only banishment evasion, underage sex, bestiality, and bashing threads warrant it). Approval usually doesn't take more than a week, but a human moderator does have to approve it personally, so it could be longer.

Question 3 - How do I deal with some of the weird stuff the site throws at me? Weird stuff includes:
- Pressing '<< Prev' button often brings me to a blank page
- Pressing 'Add New Thread' often brings me to a blank page (though I've been using that work-around with changing the URL to help with this)
- Pressing 'Link Thread often brings me to a blank page and also I don't know what it's meant to do anyway.
- Start Over also brings me to a blank page.

Yeah, the site hasn't been perfectly restored yet, and Laurel and Manu aren't giving us any updates, be it in coding or in news. "<<Prev" "Add New Thread" and "Link Thread" are the last horses yet to cross the finish line. However, you can get around the first one by going to the story map and manually accessing the prior thread, and you already figured out how to add threads. Linking, on the other hand, I'm not sure. A direct link trick like the addition workaround would probably work, but for the life of me I don't know the link basis, and the site currently doesn't provide the basis when clicking on "Link Thread" to help us.

Well, this is irrelevant knowledge at present, but if it worked, selecting "Link Thread" would take the user to something similar to the story map. This time, selecting a thread will create an option on the first thread that takes the reader directly to the second thread. So, using ChaosMuramasa's "The Choice" as an example, if I were to select "Link Thread" on The supermarket, and then select A women's shoe store from the map-like page, I'd create an option at the bottom of The supermarket that leads directly to A women's shoe store.

I hope that helps.

I think Chyoo's under some serious refurbishing, so I've read, but the sticky threads are all highly informative.

Well, this is irrelevant knowledge at present, but if it worked, selecting "Link Thread" would take the user to something similar to the story map. This time, selecting a thread will create an option on the first thread that takes the reader directly to the second thread.

I can confirm that the same trick that works for adding threads works for linking. To get the link 'story map' page try clicking on the "Link Thread" button on another page. Pages which have one child thread already present seem to work reliably for either add or link.

The link 'story map' will show the story with one thread highlighted. Then you replace the number in the page name as you would for adding threads and hit refresh. Now the link 'story map' shows the thread you actually want to link from highlighted. You select another thread to link to and the rest of the process functions normally.

Thanks for the help, folks.

A fan of Muramasa's work, are you Kaitou? That's the reason I wandered over here in the first place. It's glaringly obvious that my work is kind of stealing from his idea.

Pages which have one child thread already present seem to work reliably for either add or link.

Thanks for the tip. It seems to only work on threads with exactly one child thread, but I'm still experimenting with it, so don't accept that yet.

Anyway, with this bit of insight, I was able to make a topic showing the workarounds for the problem areas of this half-finished CHYOO. If there's something else anyone needs on that issue, please look at the first post before asking.

I have another question:
How do I edit my posts? I couldn't find anything about it.

In the old (and, as of this writing, still current) CHYOO site, log in. Click on the number of threads you have approved to see a list of them. Next to the title of each one, there should be a link which says "edit thread". Clicking on this will open a writing form to edit your post. Or, at least, it did for me. If there are other settings, I'm unfamiliar with them as of yet.

This is all I see when I follow that. I tried it on Safari (my normal browser, boo me if you will) and Firefox. Either I'm dead-blind or it's not showing up. Any suggestions? I'd really like to fix the horrid perspective I ended up writing with for my story. Y'know, without entirely scrapping it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This is all I see when I follow that. I tried it on Safari (my normal browser, boo me if you will) and Firefox. Either I'm dead-blind or it's not showing up. Any suggestions? I'd really like to fix the horrid perspective I ended up writing with for my story. Y'know, without entirely scrapping it.

You need to be careful of your log in. The username check is case-sensitive. If you don't log in with the same capitalization on the thread page itself, you can't edit the threads, even if they appear in your list of threads and the editor enables writers to edit their threads. In other words, you have to log in as "HiddenEyes056" to edit the first thread, and you can't edit the second thread at all unless you go to the bottom of the thread page with this same username; you made it so writer's can't edit their threads - meaning "hiddeneyes056" can't edit at all - but the editor has those privileges over the threads in their stories no matter the settings, though they're only accessible at the bottom of the thread's page.

Last edited:
Back