Need help with my edit taking too long to post

KniteRonin

Enthusiast
Good day.
I have recently begun to submit my writing to Literotica and I have a problem. I submitted an edited version of my first chapter on September 23rd. It is now October 1st and it still has not changed from the Pending status. I read the FAQ so I knew to wait the week. But it still has not changed. I submitted my 7th chapter about 4 days after I submitted the edited chapter and it has already published. Who do I talk to about finding out what happened?

Publications take so long. Edits take much longer.

My last edit took a month.

Thank you. I was surprised that it has taken so long. All of my initial published stories have usually posted within a few days tops! I was just concerned that something may be wrong for it to have taken this long. But after reading some of the other posts about the subject, I now believe that I have been exceedingly lucky thus far!

Edits get pushed to the end of the line behind new releases and there's a lot of those every day. I know the site says 7 days, but as time goes on it takes longer and longer.

My new stories take 48 hours or less to post, without fail. Edits? I’d say two weeks minimum at present. Maybe more. A month is not an outlier.

Em

Publications take so long. Edits take much longer.

My last edit took a month.
More like five weeks now. I'm not sure why it's worse, but I remember that it used to take two or three weeks. Then again, maybe my memory is faulty.

Good day.
I have recently begun to submit my writing to Literotica and I have a problem. I submitted an edited version of my first chapter on September 23rd. It is now October 1st and it still has not changed from the Pending status. I read the FAQ so I knew to wait the week. But it still has not changed. I submitted my 7th chapter about 4 days after I submitted the edited chapter and it has already published. Who do I talk to about finding out what happened?
As you are finding out, edits take a long time to be approved. You can do them, but by the time it's done, the issue is moot: the readers have long since moved on. Try to get it right the first time you submit a story. If it's a just a couple of typos, then it's probably not worth doing.

Try to get it right the first time you submit a story.

Exactly. Don't rush to upload your latest creation, let it sit on the back burner for a couple of days and come back to it, and you are likely to see what you missed or could stand refinement. The two or three extra days on your end is a whole bunch better than waiting weeks for edits to post.

New authors (even not-new!) tend to overlook that processing edits is a manual operation for the site managers, while new uploads get a handful of automated checks and they're ready to go. Bottom line: don't depend on edits after-the-fact. Clean uploads rule the roost.

Exactly. Don't rush to upload your latest creation, let it sit on the back burner for a couple of days and come back to it, and you are likely to see what you missed or could stand refinement. The two or three extra days on your end is a whole bunch better than waiting weeks for edits to post.

New authors (even not-new!) tend to overlook that processing edits is a manual operation for the site managers, while new uploads get a handful of automated checks and they're ready to go. Bottom line: don't depend on edits after-the-fact. Clean uploads rule the roost.
Is it true that the moderation of story submissions is automated?

Is it true that the moderation of story submissions is automated?

We have surmised "mostly", but don't know that authoritatively. Manual spot checks after keyword and phrase scans, probably, and there appears to be some dependence on author trustworthiness from previous work. Laurel does read the forum activity and may very well (I know I would) use what is said here to further judge the concern each author has for what she likes to see, or, specifically, not see in contributed works.

That make sense, guys? Or am I off in la-la land?

Good day.
I submitted an edited story on 9/7/23 and it is still in a pending status. This is what I expected, so I suggest that you just throttle up your patience.

No, it's not automated. Laurel has repeatedly said that she's reviewing ( albeit, with a quick skim ) every submission, and it takes hours every day.

The lag for low priority edits that only serve the author ( and often, not even them ) should be a neon sign indicating this, but everyone continues to believe in the RejectoBot3000 anyway.

If you're not planning to publish a sequel/prequel of a story, it's typically not worth the effort to edit the one that's already live. Take your lumps and move on, because the majority of the readership the submission is going to get is already over before the edit is going to post — even at the FAQ suggested week's wait. If you absolutely must fix that typo, expect that Laurel will get around to it when she gets around to it, and thank the people in the submission queue who made her job quicker and easier than usual that day for their diligence.

We have surmised "mostly", but don't know that authoritatively. Manual spot checks after keyword and phrase scans, probably, and there appears to be some dependence on author trustworthiness from previous work. Laurel does read the forum activity and may very well (I know I would) use what is said here to further judge the concern each author has for what she likes to see, or, specifically, not see in contributed works.

That make sense, guys? Or am I off in la-la land?
Yep, that's my take - some automated word-bot checks for key words, a quick scan, remembering authors, noting AH discussions. Laurel didn't come down in the last shower, and don't think she's not watching.

Given the amount of "editing" going on, I reckon she's generous. There's an onus on authors, I think, to get our copy as good as we possibly can the first time; and where we can't do that, either live with it, or sling in an edit and silently wait.

Unless it's a diabolically bad technical glitch that cocks up the sense of a story (like turning the entire second page into italics), or being too clever (not) with html, I usually let dumb typos go. They're on me.

Back