NaNoWriMo starts Monday.

This thread isn't getting much action, so after today I'll stop with my daily updates. Through Day Four, 9343 words, still sequential.

I'm just up to 1,800 words - the amount I should have written on day 1. :(

Kudos to all of you who are even having a shot at this. I'm lucky if I get 500 words out in a day.

The following day I probably scrap out all of them and write it anew. And then feel annoyed that the first draft was actually better.

Kudos to all of you who are even having a shot at this. I'm lucky if I get 500 words out in a day.

The following day I probably scrap out all of them and write it anew. And then feel annoyed that the first draft was actually better.
I suspect that few people with actual responsibilities can keep up this pace, even with a fully-formed idea for the entire story. I'm retired, with a stable life situation, so I've been able to waste time on this. Even at that, it's with the awareness that what I'm stringing together wouldn't hold together as is. A few idea nuggets have occurred to me in the process, and I'm interesting in extracting them when all this is over and doing something else with them.

I revive this thread as a matter of record. At the end of my writing time today, November 23, “Her Eighteenth Embodiment,” begun on November 1, totaled 50,059 words. I’m in the middle of a scene, and have an idea for one more. I’ll get to both tomorrow and then decide I’m no longer obligated. It will then become a project at the think-through level.

It’s a fictional narrative, but it’s not at any point of conclusion, so it’s not a novel. It has a premise, but not a plot. It has events, but not a story. It has characters, who I find to be interesting, and there has been some development through their interactions. (Around the 30k-word mark, the main character fell in love. I wasn’t planning that at the beginning.)

It has a great many long, involved sex scenes, but I don’t know if I’d eventually present this as erotica, so those scenes may be shelved. The sensations and passions and choreography may be used in other projects, probably for submittal to Lit.

It’s science fiction of a kind I don’t think I’ve seen before, so it interests me just because of that.

Once I’ve resumed real life, I may start poring over all this in December and try to develop an outline. If I still feel like I can do something with this, 2022 will be National Novel Rewriting Year.

I was amazed that I kept at this, writing it sequentially, with relative ease. Except for a couple days of low output in the middle, I averaged around 2300 words a day, while writing for five to six hours (not all at once). I’m retired, so I still had time to meet my actual obligations as a functioning human.

I’ve never tried this before, and I don’t think I’ll try it again. If, however, “Her Eighteenth Embodiment” actually amounts to something, I probably should try it again.

As I expected, my eyesight problems made completing NoNOWriMo this year impossible.

But it has meant that I finished two winter holiday contest entries with a third in progress - possibly 10,000 words.

Congratulations to those who succeed or who are on course to succeed.

Congrats Juan on finishing! Happy to say that I have joined the club, finishing today with 50 027 words...

This was my first NaNoWriMo, and I have to say, it was every bit as challenging as I expected, and with a resulting draft that is nowhere near something I could say I'm proud of :D

In case anyone's interested, I attached the numbers in the links (I recorded my inputs daily into the nano website where they have a very nifty personal 'stats' page).

My most productive day was a Monday, and I put out 7000 words. This is noteworthy, because I work a 9-5 day job, where I write professionally (non-erotic, non-fiction articles). But that week was very heavy in hours-long zoom meetings (the meeting on Monday was 4+ hrs), full of your typical corporate bullshit. I found these to be fruitful times to tap away at my erotic novel.

Most of my writing I ended up doing in the morning before work. I tried showing up to work at 7.30 to have about two hours of alone time before the rest of the office showed up. These were productive periods, but not the most creative. My most creative were the rare occasions in the late evenings when I had no other obligations.

The result of this month is a first draft that is the ugliest first draft of anything I have ever written probably since the time my first grade teacher asked me to write about my family. In other words, its a hot mess.

Like Juan's, it doesn't really have a plot. It has many set pieces, a beginning, a climax, and an ending. It doesn't even know what genre it belongs in. Some parts of it read like a Nicholas Sparks novel. Others, the very worst of Tom Clancy. And its nowhere near a complete story.

I'm relieved that I managed to finish my nano goal of 50k words in one month... but there's a hell of a lot of work left to do to mold it into a product I could feel proud of. Just another project with about a thousand 'TK's marked all over it that I'll have to file away in the 'WIP' pile.

I learned quite a lot from the experience, and I'm a better writer for it, I think. The biggest lesson: pushing out 50k words of fiction in a month is just not my jam.

Attachments

• Word Count Per Day NaNoWriMo.jpg
    Word Count Per Day NaNoWriMo.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • Total Word Count NaNoWriMo.jpg
    Total Word Count NaNoWriMo.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
I won't complete it. I didn't expect to because my eyesight makes any writing too slow.

But - I have managed over 20,000 words, more than I expected. NaNoWriMo inspired me to write more than I otherwise would have, so it's a partial win...

Back