My 'Merican to Aussie Dictionary Is Failing Me

@oneagainst is Australian, right? That's the only explication I can imagine for this absolute nonsense that he sent me in a PM:

"Steady on, you're going off like a raw prawn, carrying on like a sack of cats, while I'm just trying to crack a tinny and settle in for the arvo with your convo on the doco I sent you."

I understood something like 80% of that, but it took quite a while for my uncultured American brain to translate it. 🤭
Yeah, OA is taking the piss out of you. 🤣

Yeah, OA is taking the piss out of you. 🤣
🤣 I'm well aware. He was responding to this comment from me:

Sorry I took so long, I was shooting guns, grilling hamburgers, and saluting a bald eagle... Normal Friday night here in the USA...

USA!

USA! USA! USA! Oh...!

Sorry, I get carried away with raw patriotism sometimes.

Okay, here's the passage in draft form:

Jax glances to their left and notices the hot tub under a shed roof attached to the clubhouse.
"About the same size as ours, Steve!"
"Oh! It is. Never thought about it. Oops. Sorry, guys!"
Their banter has distracted a couple getting it on in the tub.
"No worries!" says the fellow with a decided British or Australian accent. "Join us? Quite the pair o' lookers ya' got there."
Okay. Aussie. Or maybe Enzedder.

Ballpark?

@oneagainst is Australian, right? That's the only explication I can imagine for this absolute nonsense that he sent me in a PM:

"Steady on, you're going off like a raw prawn, carrying on like a sack of cats, while I'm just trying to crack a tinny and settle in for the arvo with your convo on the doco I sent you."

I understood something like 80% of that, but it took quite a while for my uncultured American brain to translate it. 🤭
That almost sounds like some prohibition era American slang.

Okay, here's the passage in draft form:

Ballpark?
Nope. You're not going to confuse a Brit accent with Australian unless you've got a tin ear and want to offend both.

Decide they're Australian (don't give yourself the alternate choices of Brit, Kiwi, South Efricen, whatever - that just proves you're American and clueless :)). If the "pair of lookers" is problematic (which it now is) get rid of it, keep it simple.

"No worries. Want to join us? Plenty of room in the tub."

And get on with whatever they're all going to get on with.

If electricblue doesn't use no worries on a regular basis I'd have to assume they drive the Toorak Tractor to work.
To be fair on EB, every second vehicle on the road these days is a flash looking spotless 4wd that looks like it'll never see more dirt other than the un-sealed parking by the kid's soccer oval, or the long gravel drive to a boutique winery.

To be fair on EB, every second vehicle on the road these days is a flash looking spotless 4wd that looks like it'll never see more dirt other than the un-sealed parking by the kid's soccer oval, or the long gravel drive to a boutique winery.
Exactly. Ten thousand small trucks in a city is just stupid, and the excuse their buyers all give is, "Well, I want to see what's on the road ahead."

To which the response is, "Don't buy so many small trucks, then."

Meanwhile, I drive a twenty year old Subaru Impreza, and leave them all behind at the lights.

The latest thing here in Oz are those fucking big American trucks which stand about six feet tall and eight feet wide, and do about five miles per gallon. Global warming? Fuck that, I need a big truck.

Idiots, the lot of them! EB sits back, waiting to find out how many Yanks here drive big trucks.

The latest thing here in Oz are those fucking big American trucks which stand about six feet tall and eight feet wide, and do about five miles per gallon.
Not a big fan of the RAM? BuT tHeY nEeD iT tO tOw, just ask them! Even all the ones I’ve seen driving about without towbars…

Wot EB said. About the story, not about the utes. We have enough F>150's, Silverados and Rams around here to sink a ship. Bloody annoying.

Yeah, we went through the big ass truck phase and then it was the big ass SUV phase and now.... Mamma drives a SUV and Daddy drives a four wheel drive and there is no dirt in sight. Someone should make a country western hit out of that.

You guys are no fun a' tall. :(

Taking everything under advisement.

Exactly. Ten thousand small trucks in a city is just stupid, and the excuse their buyers all give is, "Well, I want to see what's on the road ahead."

To which the response is, "Don't buy so many small trucks, then."

Meanwhile, I drive a twenty year old Subaru Impreza, and leave them all behind at the lights.

The latest thing here in Oz are those fucking big American trucks which stand about six feet tall and eight feet wide, and do about five miles per gallon. Global warming? Fuck that, I need a big truck.

Idiots, the lot of them! EB sits back, waiting to find out how many Yanks here drive big trucks.
Here on the boards? I once owned a '77 Chevy K10 RCSB and an '88 Bronco. Big, but by todays trucks where a F150 made in the past few years is the size of an '88 F250... Although my old Bronco is bigger than the new one, the new ones are inspired by the 1st gens, without being straight up retro. I'm not the biggest fan of small vehicles other than a few exceptions. I did do some offroading in the K10.

What is the Australian familiar slang for "gorgeous ladies" in a casual and friendly setting? I knew about "shielas", but in usage confirmation I found the expression "bonza shielas". Doesn't sound quite right to me, and could use some advice from our resident Antipodes.

I have a walk-on character in a scene, an Australian MC paying a sincere compliment to the MMC as he approaches with the two FMCs in tow. Situation is sort of a roman à clef, although the IRL version of this character had a thick Canadian accent.
"Oooh, she's a good sort!"

Back