My experience reading Hugh Howey's Silo.

JohnSm123

Loves Spam
Silo is a trilogy of best-selling novels. At first, its author, Hugh Howey, intended to write it as a short story, about 50 pages long. However, the readers kept asking for more, so he expanded that short story into a fully fledged novel, then that novel into a trilogy.

Recently, I read the first part of the first novel (the one titled Holston). That was the part that was originally written as a short, self-contained story. When I finished it, I understood why Mr Howey initially wanted it to be just a short, self-contained story. It's perfect the way it is, explaining the right amount of stuff, and leaving to imagination the right amount of stuff.

And so, I decided to stop there and never read the rest of the series, to keep that short story in my heart for what it was originally intended to be. In fact, I opened a thread on another forum, explaining in detail why I wasn't planning to ever read the rest of the series.

The other members, who loved the whole series, tried to convince me otherwise, but I insisted. So in the end, one of them went like, "Lol, okay then. I guess that's the end of the journey for you regarding this series."

Read however you want, and let other people read however they want. There is no "right" answer when it comes to questions like this.

Back