Just a question....

The way I have it, it isn't "fake." It's a college woman offering a classmate a blowjob in return for writing her term paper. She's already turning tricks on an ad hoc basis, but she needs the paper more than the money at that time. It turns out that they do have an affair - which lasts for four months, which sounds like a realistic time frame for such a thing.

The paper was a review of George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia. Seemed worth mentioning what it was about.
I might make that deal myself. Orwell makes me want to drink myself into a black hole. I blame the schools for forcing us to read his world when we were already in hormonal chaos and hated ourselves and everyone around us.

I might make that deal myself. Orwell makes me want to drink myself into a black hole. I blame the schools for forcing us to read his world when we were already in hormonal chaos and hated ourselves and everyone around us.
It's a modern European history course, and he picks the topic, not her. He also has to write another paper for himself. So she is the one who is disenchanted with the course, which she had been getting bad grades in up to that point. Oddly, in later months, she does read the paper and take an interest in the Spanish Civil War. She even signs up for a course about it, which indeed was offered by City College. (It takes place in 1974.)

So what books would you assign to college students? Or maybe, as some people have said recently, they should be spending (borrowing, actually) the money to learn something like accounting or electrical engineering.

"Down and Out in Paris and London" was fun. Well, the first half was.

Back